Treasure Hunt (the other one)

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Jimbob

Treasure Hunt (the other one)

Post by Jimbob »

Hi all,

Sorry to bother you with this - I may have even asked before, in which case I'm a terrible human being.

When I was a kid, our school had an "educational" game called Treasure Hunt. I always bring it up in conversation about how not to do puzzles in games, as, at the start, you had to select 2 items from a choice of 6, and, unless you choose the seemingly useless jar of jam, someone wouldn't exchange it for a vitally important key. "I'd give you this key for some jam, but you haven't any".

The trouble is, I can't find it anywhere! It's like I've made it up or something. No-one my age seems to remember it, the internet doesn't seem to recognise it, and I can't find it on STH - only the BBC game show spin-off.

Can anyone else possibly help me out here - any sort of acknowledgement at all would be great!

Thanks
Repton Shoes!
flaxcottage

Re: Treasure Hunt (the other one)

Post by flaxcottage »

Can't find it in my Educational Archive, sorry. Nor do I actually remember it from BITD. :(

I am currently wading my way through literally hundreds of discs. If I come across it I shall post it for you.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Thanks Mr. Cottage! I don't envy you with that workload.
(Actually, when I think about it... I do envy you, that sounds like a labour of love!)
Repton Shoes!
paulisthebest3uk

Post by paulisthebest3uk »

I know this is an old post but i found this recently. I had it on SSD file i have no idea where i found it originally, i just cant remember, I seem to vaguely remember trying to find it in the early 2000s as even back then i remember it at school, but for some reason i thought it was on an RM PC NIMBUS 186 rather than a BBC MODEL B
Anyway i have the SSD file, can you attach SSD files to this thread?
paulisthebest3uk

i also recently found it on flax cottage but that was a part of a infants diskette package i think number 1. But the one i spoke about seems to be just this and nothing else.
paulisthebest3uk

i also did a very vague youtube video about it. Like the OP said - very vague game that noone seems to remember
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

paulisthebest3uk wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:13 pm Anyway i have the SSD file, can you attach SSD files to this thread?
yes - ....
Screenshot 2023-02-22 191807.png
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
paulisthebest3uk

ive joined only today so it doesnt look like that feature is enabled for me yet. I will be sure to do when it is. I cant find the attachments tab currently
paulisthebest3uk

i tried to convert the $ file to bbc basic RM NIMBUS PC186 BBC MODE can support but i failed. Im sure i used to play this on the RM-NIMBUS PC186 but maybe my memory is incorrect. The game runs natively on BBC MODEL B but it also has i think machine code routines for the $.SCENE data file. I dont think its possible to get this to run on an RM NIMBUS PC186 unless its completely rewritten. Maybe some company did that back in the day, or maybe it was always a BBC Model B only game. I just cant remember if we had BBC Model Bs in our school
paulisthebest3uk

I dont think the disk is bootable. I got it working by typing in CH. "THUNT" on bbc model B emulator
Attachments
THUNT.ssd
(18 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

This is in the Educational Archive. It is one of the programs on this MEP title
image_2023-02-23_093335144.png
image_2023-02-23_093335144.png (90.2 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Nice hint about the jam. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

flaxcottage wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:35 am This is in the Educational Archive. It is one of the programs on this MEP title

image_2023-02-23_093335144.png

Nice hint about the jam. :D
i have a working copy of this if it needs archiving. however i have no way to archive it. maybe at abug south in april?
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”