Multiple / fake accounts, forum etiquette

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
Samwise
Site Admin

Multiple / fake accounts, forum etiquette

Post by Samwise »

Hi,

Forum members are reminded that we require people not to hide behind multiple or fake account names. It is not fair on the rest of our community to knowingly misrepresent yourself as someone else. This is one of the few things that may regrettably lead us to require a forum member to leave.

The "etiquette" of this forum, such as it is, is relatively simple - do not hide behind multiple accounts to deceive people, and keep your posts family-friendly: we have a wide range of members, from school age to pensioners.

If you don't get on with someone, use the tools in the User Control Panel to help you filter what posts you see. If you see anyone being rude either to yourself or to anyone else, please report it ASAP so our moderators and admins can investigate. Do not respond to a troll. There are a few other guidelines our moderators work to wrt the size of sigs and such like, but rather than publish a long list of forbidden actions we simply deal with such things via a quiet PM.

This system has worked for over a decade and we think it will continue to do so in the future.

Thanks, everyone,

Sam.

(On behalf of both the *. STH admin and moderators teams)
danielj

Re: Multiple / fake accounts, forum etiquette

Post by danielj »

Prompted by a couple of recent incidents, that will have (hopefully) passed under the radar of most, I'm just posting to re-emphasise the above. Also to note that where users flagrantly act in a way which is designed to cause offence or disruption they will just be removed from the forum without any debate.
starshine

Post by starshine »

what is the rule on banned accounts? can they rejoin? appeal?
Micro is a misnomer, the computer is HUGE...and awesome. as is the community :D
danielj

Post by danielj »

It depends entirely on who/why they were banned. But the long/short of it is that if they were banned they either fundamentally broke the forum rules, or pushed it too far too many times (usually through causing disruption/discord). If it's a slap on the wrist it'll be a short ban. If it's permanent then no, that's it I'm afraid.

d.
Last edited by danielj on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
starshine

Post by starshine »

danielj wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:28 am It depends entirely on who/why they were banned. But the long/short of it is that if they were banned they either fundamentally broke the forum rules, or pushed it too far too many times (usually through causing disruption/discord). If it's a slap on the wrist it'll be a short ban. If it's permanent then no, that's it I'm afraid.

d.
bans just discourage people from joining. but why ban the IP?
Micro is a misnomer, the computer is HUGE...and awesome. as is the community :D
danielj

Post by danielj »

We're fairly sure you're Microboy who was previously banned for posting obscene content.. Given your interest in this thread that pretty much confirms it along with your geolocation. I'm afraid it's byebye.

d.
Deleted User 9295

Post by Deleted User 9295 »

danielj wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:28 ampushed it too far too many times
Is it cumulative, like points on a driving licence? I believe I came close to being banned (I received a warning from a moderator) so does that mean a relatively trivial misdemeanour could 'push me over the limit'? I am currently banned from the Liberty BASIC forum, the BBC BASIC forum and the BBC BASIC discussion group, so it is something I am unfortunately familiar with. :cry:
danielj

Post by danielj »

Richard Russell wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:51 am Is it cumulative, like points on a driving licence? I believe I came close to being banned (I received a warning from a moderator) so does that mean a relatively trivial misdemeanour could 'push me over the limit'? I am currently banned from the Liberty BASIC forum, the BBC BASIC forum and the BBC BASIC discussion group, so it is something I am unfortunately familiar with. :cry:
Willful persistence rather than points. Every now and again there is an individual who ends up taking up a disproportionate amount of admin/mod time. A heeded warning is always a good thing. And there endeth the lesson :)
Last edited by danielj on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonny

Post by Tonny »

i lost my password of thedark so i had to make a new one.
i am tonny now but i was thedark. and thedark1 these may be deleted both.
sorry for any trouble on that.
---<[[Acorn master and Music 5000 rules the acorn scene.]]>--
danielj

Post by danielj »

Tonny wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:23 pm i lost my password of thedark so i had to make a new one.
i am tonny now but i was thedark. and thedark1 these may be deleted both.
sorry for any trouble on that.
I can reset your password?
Tonny

Post by Tonny »

Oh that could be nice.let us make happen.
Delete tonny and thedark1
Reset my password for thedark
And mail me the temp password.
---<[[Acorn master and Music 5000 rules the acorn scene.]]>--

Return to “introduce yourself”