Most advanced BBC game?

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Well Bolo didn't really come out though did it?

Elite still gets my vote.. :)

PS What's the cassette loader in Skirmish do?
PPS Have you remembered how Citadel stores its graphics yet? ;)
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

Apparently Citadel stores its graphics in the same way as Exile. So Citadel was probably groundbreaking in that respect.

You can see the tape loader of Skirmish for yourself, the uef is available from the Acorn Preservation Project website - it's a very nice one.

No, Bolo didn't come out. I think Go-Dax were interested in releasing it, but they went under after Kortyard and Skirmish.
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Kortyard, that name rings a bell. However, I can't find it here or on the APP. Did it get released?
billcarr2005

Kourtyard

Post by billcarr2005 »

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Gah, curse you extra vowel

Cheers Bill
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

I had some correspondence with Stuart Cheshire a few years back ... he still had the BBC version of Bolo on 5.25" floppies, but had no way of reading them into a PC.

And with him being based across the pond, it wasn't as if I could offer any help in getting them transferred.

Perhaps it's time I contacted him again, as "Omniflop" wasn't available back then (though judging by his homepage he doesn't 'do' Windows! ;))
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Kecske Bak wrote:You can see the tape loader of Skirmish for yourself, the uef is available from the Acorn Preservation Project website - it's a very nice one.
heh i was going to spoil it but yeah, he should probly see it for himself.

not Beeb related but i remember being stunned by loaders on the C64. the game 'Aliens' had a whole frakking Space Invaders game you could play while the real game loaded :shock:

Kourtyard... meh, i grabbed that from here but never got very far into it :?

and Bolo... damn, if only :cry:
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Contining off topic, didn't Ghostbusters on the C64 have a space invaders type game as the game loaded as well ?
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Kecske Bak wrote: heh i was going to spoil it but yeah, he should probly see it for himself.
Just checked it out, very nicely done. Really nice game, very polished!
Moist_Mog

Post by Moist_Mog »

Just thought of another couple of possible candidates... KnightLore and Alien8...? Don't know much (read: anything :)) about programming... but I'd have thought it'd be tricky to cram all that into the BBC's memory...?
jon28

Post by jon28 »

Moist_Mog wrote:Just thought of another couple of possible candidates... KnightLore and Alien8...? Don't know much (read: anything :)) about programming... but I'd have thought it'd be tricky to cram all that into the BBC's memory...?
Not sure about Knight Lore. It was released on the Spectrum first and it wasn't long before others pushed the idea further - Head over Heals for example. It was ground breaking but I'm not sure about it being that advanced.

Knight Lore was actually finished before Sabre Wulf. Ultimate held back from releasing it as they thought it was too advanced and would lose them sales of games such as Sabre Wulf. At the time of release Sabre Wulf was very highly rated, for them to be sitting on Knight Lore at the time is just incredible.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”