Post pictures of your beeb setup

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
CMcDougall

Re: Post pictures of your beeb setup

Post by CMcDougall »

mine tonight. using magic UPURS to archive MIA discs 8)
setup1.jpg
the most action that bed has ever seen.... :lol:
ImageImageImage
duikkie

Post by duikkie »

because i must see the chips , the cover is always off
Attachments
usb-stick.JPG
Wookie

Post by Wookie »

duikkie wrote:because i must see the chips , the cover is always off
Hmm, Lets see...
1) beeb with cover off, CHECK.
2) a reel of solder on standby, CHECK.
3) a multimeter nearby, CHECK.
4) pile of paper with notes scribbled on, CHECK.
5) some homemade circuit attached to beeb, CHECK.

:lol:

I will post a picture one day of my setup, but it's basically the same.
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6
duikkie

Post by duikkie »

on the right corner , the mistery young days that are gone :?
duikkie wrote:because i must see the chips , the cover is always off
Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 »

Hi All.

Been stuck for a while. Not sure what to about things. (*) good news!! Just got my new BBC today

Here's a pics. of The 'rocket' sample program in the User Guide, modified a little to give colours. The one on the right is the one on the screen

I think it's in pretty good condition, so thanks to "robotrox" of e-bay for

* I sort of short circuited a it after doing my "How I met the BBC Micro" video :shock: sorry, not meaning to be unfriendly guys :roll: hopefully this will help the situation a bit
Attachments
IMG_1133.JPG
Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 »

KarateEd wrote:Slight change in the setup so I thought I'd post it. I took the footing off the monitor to lower the CRT level, and I quite like it.

Ed......:-)
how do you get that BBC to look so nice with a VGA monitor?

I had a look at the back and I can't see any obvious conversion going on #-o
Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 »

#-o I posted this post twice sorry guys; I thought my internet had gone and wrongly assumed it had never got there
Last edited by Pablos544 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

I just found this Topic... 8)

It's a part of my Attic, both have a MMC inside, the Master 512 is also connected to a 5.25 floppy-drive... :D

Greetings, Wim... :-)
Attachments
P1140068.JPG
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Pablos544 wrote:
KarateEd wrote:Slight change in the setup so I thought I'd post it. I took the footing off the monitor to lower the CRT level, and I quite like it.

Hi Pablo,

Sorry, I didn't see this post until now. I do have a GBS-2800 card in the Beeb. That card converts the output to a VGA, basically it scans the output and then converts it to a VGA signal so it can be read in my 60hz monitor. It's a bit of a miracle of modern electronics I would say.

The card is in the back, there's a VGA cable sticking out of the slot. There is a RGB cable going into the board, that's the connectivity so it could LOOK like there is no conversion but ..... there is.

Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 »

KarateEd wrote:
Pablos544 wrote:

Hi Pablo,

Sorry, I didn't see this post until now. I do have a GBS-2800 card in the Beeb. That card converts the output to a VGA, basically it scans the output and then converts it to a VGA signal so it can be read in my 60hz monitor. It's a bit of a miracle of modern electronics I would say.

The card is in the back, there's a VGA cable sticking out of the slot. There is a RGB cable going into the board, that's the connectivity so it could LOOK like there is no conversion but ..... there is.

so internally there is a cable going in to the board. amazing. I see this site has moved on a bit too, there's 'Notifications' like on Facebook now. This is how I spotted your post, because I didn't subscribe to the topic. =D> bravo Samwise

You're right KarateED. Looking at the back of the machine it looks exactly like a PC or posh Apple IIe. It is indeed a miracle in modern electronics. And the picture is finger licking hot.

Thanks a lot for sharing :D -Pablo
sweh

Post by sweh »

I reconfigured my setup
4 machines
4 machines
The machine bottom left is the File server. It doesn't (and won't) have a connection to the monitor; it's configured to auto-boot. I need to create a cable to connect the other master to the monitor switch. The bottom right Beeb is my main machine.

I need to create two more "2nd user port" adapters so the other beeb and the Master can talk UPURS as well NFS and TurboMMC.

But I'm not sure this configuration is good; it's hard to use the machines on the top level. It's good enough for testing configurations, though :-)
Rgds
Stephen
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

You must have long arms! :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
paulv

Post by paulv »

sweh wrote:I reconfigured my setup

But I'm not sure this configuration is good; it's hard to use the machines on the top level. It's good enough for testing configurations, though :-)
Do you have enough plug sockets and extensions do you think :-o

Paul
sweh

Post by sweh »

paulv wrote:
sweh wrote:Do you have enough plug sockets and extensions do you think :-o
The rack-side power strip is two circuits; the white sockets are on the UPS and so battery backed. The main server and critical infrastructure are plugged into them. The black sockets are merely surge-protected. The laser printer, the Beebs, etc all go into that. I stuck most of the Beebs onto a switched extension cable so I can turn on the Beebs, monitor, video converter with one button :-)
Rgds
Stephen
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Hi all,

It took some 3D puzzle skills with al the cables to fit everything. But after a few attempts I got it where I wanted it, well ... mostly. And I certainly don't want to change anything inside my BBC-B ;-) So here is my 8-bit pile.

The pieces of tape on the keys of the M4000 are keys (the 4th and 5th of every 8) that don't produce a sound. I still have to figure out what the cause is.

Kind regards,

Ad
Attachments
AcornPile2.JPG
"It's all in the wrist."
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Flynn wrote:The pieces of tape on the keys of the M4000 are keys (the 4th and 5th of every 8) that don't produce a sound. I still have to figure out what the cause is.
Note that if you want to write 8 followed by a bracket, you need a space in-between, like so: 8 ), otherwise the forum prints a cool smilie 8) ....
As the problem is a pattern, one or two poor connections somewhere in the keyboard (or connector/lead) is the likely cause. As the keyboard is likely to be a matrix.

BTW, nice pile 8)

Mark
dixiestoat

Post by dixiestoat »

20160518_105825.jpg
So after a while getting them all sorted..here's my collection.
So we have.. Retroclinic Master 128 with switchable OS and John Kortink co-pro.

Issue 7 Model B with Datacentre and Turbo MMC, Watford 12 ROM board and 32k SWRam.

My original BITD Issue 4 Elk with Slogger Master Ram board, AP1, AP 3/4, and the new DaveH AP6. 32k SWRam onboard.

With various other DaveH bits .. ATI, ARA x 3, ABR.

Plus 2 x 3.5 and 2 x 5.25 drives and Acorn cassette recorder.

Nick. :D
If in doubt, CTRL-BREAK thou should clout..
paulv

Post by paulv »

No so much my Beeb setup as my new area in my new utility room for my soldering activities :D

Seeing as I've managed to get my soldering station out of storage and do some tinkering, I thought I'd share a bit of the reason why all my Beeb stuff is (still) in storage. Since October last year, we've been having the house extended and refurbished. Downstairs is almost complete now with an extended kitchen, new utility room, new dog wash/boot/cloak room and downstairs WC facilities :D It's entailed a lot of work and hassle and every room in the house, new and old has been affected but it's been worth it :D
MyNewWorkbench.jpg
It's got great light with a Window to the left, a Velux skylight directly above and some rather excellent LED down lights in the ceiling so I'm never overshadowing my work space :D

Paul
JonC

Post by JonC »

Nice!
Just don't do any soldering on laundry day! :lol:
Zarchos

Post by Zarchos »

paulv wrote:No so much my Beeb setup as my new area in my new utility room for my soldering activities :D

Seeing as I've managed to get my soldering station out of storage and do some tinkering, I thought I'd share a bit of the reason why all my Beeb stuff is (still) in storage. Since October last year, we've been having the house extended and refurbished. Downstairs is almost complete now with an extended kitchen, new utility room, new dog wash/boot/cloak room and downstairs WC facilities :D It's entailed a lot of work and hassle and every room in the house, new and old has been affected but it's been worth it :D

MyNewWorkbench.jpg

It's got great light with a Window to the left, a Velux skylight directly above and some rather excellent LED down lights in the ceiling so I'm never overshadowing my work space :D

Paul
To know if it's really different from my country ... how many weeks or months for the delay to get it all complete ?
Commie_User

Post by Commie_User »

dixiestoat wrote:20160518_105825.jpg
Those are so pristine. One of mine looks pretty OK, but storage led to a small scratch on the otherwise fine clear plastic. I HATE it when that happens.

I can give you some videos I made of why I bought a couple of cheap Beebs - music, by virtue of tapes like Beebsynth and a line-out mod.

Like so many of us, we last faced a BBC at school and were shot right back as a consequence.

Getting 'em in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBLNLH9zrYU
Playing with music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKaJ4NMstcw
Tinker with tapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EnMzdR2LZo
Attachments
DSCF2233.JPG
DSCF2230.JPG
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Trying to make the best use of limited space, I came up with this. It's on wheels and and has a power strip at the back. It works well for me, but realise that it looks like most people's nightmare from school. (I left school before the Beebs arrived en masse.)
Setup - 1.jpg
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
JonC

Post by JonC »

I could do with something similar, not an Ikea job?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

It's this from Argos. Only £20.

Bear in mind that the keyboard shelf doesn't extend the full depth of the trolley. (It is intended for a conventional PC keyboard.) If you place a disk drive or whatever on it, the front feet will be on the shelf, but the back ones will be left hanging. I replaced the provided shelf, with a piece of MDF which extended the full depth of the trolley.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
Commie_User

Post by Commie_User »

I finally have my Ebay BBC B walled and plumbed in. Pity the only items to accept RGB are my sitting room telly and CUB but I still have my bloody nice Osaki TV for the UHF, if I don't want the Microvitec plonked on top of what else I'm trrying to use.

Patch my lovely line out to the recording loop, patch my soundcard lead to the Beeb for loading tape images and I've almost all I wanted. A faulty joystick port on this board prevents me really dressing it up to the nines, though I've a stack of iconic tapes like Killer Gorilla to christen it anyway.
Attachments
HPIM1506.JPG
HPIM1501.JPG
HPIM1500.JPG
roland

Post by roland »

My very temporary beeb setup to test my Z80 cheese wedge:
IMG_1333.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
The Z80 is working, now I just have to find some suitable hardware for creating 3,5" CP/M disks.

BTW ... this beeb seems to have 256KB ram =P~ I didn't notice before....
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
danielj

Post by danielj »

Careful Roland - you'll suddenly find yourself seduced by actually seeing what you're typing in any screen mode ;)

I seem to have picked up an infection :?
DSC_0038.JPG
paradroid90

Post by paradroid90 »

Hi guys :-), Thought I had already posted My Elk setup on here previously, but this is my humble set up :-) Packs a punch inside with a Master Ram Board and AP6 installed inside :-)
Attachments
Medway-20160630-00373.jpg
Medway-20160620-00354.jpg
6502 Junkie :-)
Kevin1967

Post by Kevin1967 »

Here's my setup, just the single Beeb B and CUB monitor. I'm thinking that I could scrap the MacMini and put a Master 128 in it's place. I've also started collecting vintage computer books, mostly Beeb programming books.
P9100019.jpg
P9100020.jpg
P9100021.jpg
Commie_User

Post by Commie_User »

Look at that juxtaposition!

You'll chuck out nothing! :lol:

Return to “general”