Brandy Basic

for discussion of bbc basic for windows/sdl, brandy and more
jgharston

Brandy Basic

Post by jgharston »

New thread...
BeebMaster wrote:That would be good. I've just downloaded and extracted it but I couldn't get it to compile on Ubuntu. It did a few lines' worth of whatever it does but then I got an error:
You've got further than me. I've spent the afternoon trying to just get the ability to compile any C program at all, let along getting Brandy compiled.

To install a C compiler on a Linux system you need to compile it. But, to compile a C compiler, you need a C compiler. But, to compile a C compiler, you need a C compiler. But.... etc.

So, can anybody assist me in actually getting a C compiler environment onto my Linux system - and then, what actual actions I use to get it to compile something. Puppy Linux on a no-brand PC with AMD processor.

Later I may attempt the bigger fight of getting a Mac emulator to work, to try and get the Mac target working.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
hoglet

Re: Brandy Basic

Post by hoglet »

Any reason you are using Puppy Linux?

I've never had an such problems with Ubuntu.

Is it a really old machine?

Dave
sweh

Post by sweh »

jgharston wrote:To install a C compiler on a Linux system you need to compile it. But, to compile a C compiler, you need a C compiler. But, to compile a C compiler, you need a C compiler. But.... etc.
This is why the world invented packages so you don't get this dependency loop. On RedHat systems you'd use "yum"; on Debian systems you'd use "apt-get".
So, can anybody assist me in actually getting a C compiler environment onto my Linux system - and then, what actual actions I use to get it to compile something. Puppy Linux on a no-brand PC with AMD processor.
Puppy Linux is an odd variant; it was originally designed for "live CD" or "run from ram" usage, and so isn't necessarily the best variant for a long-term solution. However it also has packages (see http://puppylinux.com/development/packa ... gement.htm ). I'm not sure I'd recommend Puppy for development work.
Rgds
Stephen
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

hoglet wrote:Any reason you are using Puppy Linux?
'cos that's what I've got.

I may clear a chunk of time and start from scratch and install Ubuntu.

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
jay

Post by jay »

jgharston wrote: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Your post it ancient now, but in case it's useful: since about Puppy Linux 6.0.5 (2014) it's been Ubuntu-based and so you should be able to set up a development environment in the standard way for Debian-family systems:

apt install build-essential
I've never used Puppy Linux, but I've used Debian for about twenty years.
I recently released beebtools, https://github.com/jamesyoungman/beebtools - feedback very welcome!
Soruk

Post by Soruk »

jay wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:09 pm
jgharston wrote: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Your post it ancient now, but in case it's useful: since about Puppy Linux 6.0.5 (2014) it's been Ubuntu-based and so you should be able to set up a development environment in the standard way for Debian-family systems:

apt install build-essential
I've never used Puppy Linux, but I've used Debian for about twenty years.
Continuing with the thread archaeology, Jonathan has a CentOS 7 Virtualbox VM with all the tools required to build Brandy, which I put together for him about a year ago when he was working on the Keyboard handler in Matrix Brandy.
Matrix Brandy BASIC VI (work in progress) The Distillery (another work in progress) Note Quiz (New educational software for the BBC and modern kit)
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect (Pi 3B), Pi1MHz, 5.25+3.5in dual floppy.

Return to “modern implementations of classic programming languages”