Amiga A1200HD HDD problem

classic non-acorn hardware, software & languages
MartinB

Amiga A1200HD HDD problem

Post by MartinB »

Guys - anyone here an expert on the title machine?

I got called to look at an uncle's example of this computer and it looks to me (as a total Amiga novice) as if the HDD boot partition (which contains Workbench?) is perhaps corrupted. On switch-on it throws up an alert box which says something like DH0 (or similar) doesn't contain DOS. If I boot it from floppy I get a GEM-like desktop (Workbench?) which shows the offending partition as a disc icon with about four question marks, viz DH0:????. There is also a 'tray' (?) called 'Work' which appears perhaps to be another partition on the HDD and this is accessible and does contain readable files that the owner has made with a word processor.
Reading the HDD book suggests there might have been a floppy, Install 2.1, with which I could perhaps repair (maybe reformat?) the offending partition but he has no such discs. He says the problem came about after he tried to transfer a game, Lemmings, to the HDD - he says he followed the instructions properly and the game initially ran ok but that he couldn't escape back to the OS. Thus, he switched off and after this, the HDD wouldn't boot any longer and this is where I got called in :roll:

So gents - can anyone enlighten me as to how I might proceed with this....? [-o<

(I don't have the machine with me so I can't check anything extra quickly.)
danielj

Re: Amiga A1200HD HDD problem

Post by danielj »

I'm guessing TheCorfiot might have some ideas, otherwise I'd recommend popping over to Amibay as there is much Amiga know-how there...

d.
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Thanks Daniel, I might well do that - I guess I was just being lazy in the first instance because if I go elsewhere I'll presumably have to register and then suffer any pain that goes with being a newbie :roll:

So, I'll let the question languish on here for a while.... :wink:

(Anyway, I thought we were omnipotent on here and could pontificate wisely about anything even if we have to invent complete and utter bahoolliocks.... :lol:)
sydney

Post by sydney »

Hi Martin.
For an a1200 you would need either Install 3.0 or 3.1. I might have a copy in my collection of old amiga disks, I'll check in the morning.
I second Daniels suggestion of joining amibay. They will solve this pretty quickly and it's a great site too!
Simon
sydney

Post by sydney »

Does he have the other 5 disks? Workbench,extras,locale,fonts and storage?
If so it should be possible to boot from the workbench disk and format the hard disk dh0: using the format icon or a command line.

To use a command line I think it should just be a case of double clicking the 'shell' icon and typing the following:

format dh0:

Once the disk is formatted follow the instruction in this link copy the system files from the floppies to the hd manually.
link

I think the install disk had a partitioning tool and installation scripts/programs that automate the process outlined in the link. Since the disk is already partitioned it should just be a case of formatting and copying.

It's been over a year since I touched an amiga and I was by no means an expert so it will be worth double checking my advice.
sydney

Post by sydney »

I've been through my amiga disks and have the following that I'm happy to post off to you:

Full original set of workbench 3.0 disks minus install 3.0 which only came with HD equipped machines.
What seems to be a full set of workbench 2.1 disks including install 2.1 which should be capable of partitioning the hd in the 1200. Not originals.
No guarantees that they will still work but you can have them if you want them.
TheCorfiot

Post by TheCorfiot »

Hi Martin

Once you have the Workbench 3.0 discs it's quite a painless process...

Boot Workbench from floppy...
Highlight DH0 by clicking once on the icon then using the pull down menus select Format disc.
Ensure you carry out a quick format or you will be there for ever...

Once DH0 is formatted and can be opened as an empty folder, you need to open a shell prompt..
Open the workbench 3.0 disk, then system folder and run shell...
Type in.....

Copy dfo: to dh0: all

This should copy the workbench floppy contents over....now eject the disc and reboot the amiga....you should now have a bootable hd...
Open the shell from dh0 and in turn copy each of the remaining floppys from the workbench disk set over to the HD using the same command again.
Copy df0: to dh0: all

That should sort you out buddy

TC :)
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Great stuff guys, massive thanks =D>

Simon - I'll certainly take those discs off you because I don't know what th'uncle has already but the more the merrier I'm thinking! I'll PM you with an email address and we can go from there - I will of course pay for any p&p costs etc. 8)

TC - Brilliant 'How To' mate, I really do know nowt about Amigas so the step-by-step is much appreciated. With Simon's help I'll gather together the necessary and report back :wink:

Thanks again folks :D
paulv

Post by paulv »

You might also want to look at verifying the Max Transfer rate on the HDD. Whenever I've installed/partitioned/formatted new HDD's in my A1200, I've had to fiddle with it...

Here's a relevant thread for you.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45491

EDIT: Here's where you check/set it...

http://youtu.be/hM7F-mGNFMY

Paul
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Hi Paul :D. I'll certainly check this out but because it's the original drive and has only suffered a corruption due (I'm pretty certain) to a spot of clumsiness, I think it should respond well to the basic treatment already prescribed. I will report back when I've had a crack at re-instating the drive. Cheers for the extra info though - all welcome 8)
paulv

Post by paulv »

If you want to fix corruption, DiskSalv by Dave Haynie is about as good as it gets for most native Amiga file systems. After all Dave was the chief engineer at Commodore for a while... Who better to know about Amiga file systems than him!

http://aminet.net/package/disk/salv/DiskSalv

Paul
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Ah, but aren't I then thrust into a whole new world of pain with creating Amiga discs from images - a problem I solved on the Beeb but of which I know Jack on the Amiga :lol:

(Also, I need to keep exposure to said uncle to a minimum because he represents certain death by endless outrageously inaccurate anecdotes on any and every topic in the universe.... :roll: [-X :( )
paulv

Post by paulv »

If time isn't an issue I could pop a copy of DiskSalv in the post to you on floppy.

Paul
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Paul wrote:If time isn't an issue I could pop a copy of DiskSalv in the post to you on floppy.
It is not and yes, that would be most welcome my friend :D

The more ammunition I have in my armoury when I revisit the machine, the better I suspect. Simon is sending me some discs too and TC has informed me of a recovery process so your suggestion will certainly ensure I have all bases covered =D>

Ta
sydney

Post by sydney »

Disks posted. At the same time as the postie brought my elk case from Stuart. Luckily I arrived home as he came back down the other side of the street!
MartinB wrote:Ah, but aren't I then thrust into a whole new world of pain with creating Amiga discs from images - a problem I solved on the Beeb but of which I know Jack on the Amiga :lol:

(Also, I need to keep exposure to said uncle to a minimum because he represents certain death by endless outrageously inaccurate anecdotes on any and every topic in the universe.... :roll: [-X :( )
You can read and write to 720k dos disks by using crossdos which comes on one of the 5 disks I sent you. I think it's just a case of copying a file from the storage disk to the workbench disk and rebooting.

Have a look here
paulv

Post by paulv »

I've put together a couple of discs with the following software on:

Disk 1 - Recovery Boot disk

DiskSalv 4 - The latest version (I've never used it beyond testing tonight. Looks OK)

Disk 2 - Utilities disk - Boot from Disk 1 first.

DiskSalv 2 - My old faithful in case DS4 is a bit wobbly
VirusZ - Latest AV I can find from 2004
Disk X - Disk sector editor in case you feel the urge to delve!
Re-Org - A good quality disk defragmenter
VirusX - Old AV program
SysInfo - To get a good idea of the hardware installed and OS versions etc.

I've made sure that the disk will boot on a bog standard A1200 and the programs on the second disk will run as long as the machine has been booted from the recovery disk. That is to say all the required libraries etc. are on the boot disk to support all the programs on the utils disk :D

They'll be in a post box later tonight so should reach you on the 14th ready for the weekend! :D As long as the weather is OK and out postal system manages to cope!

Before you do anything else, I'd give DiskSalv a go and firstly see if the HDD's check out using the Check of Verify function depending on which version of DiskSalv you're using. Then if need be, run a repair to fix things if possible.

I've used DiskSalv when all other applications have failed and it's never let me down so hopefully it'll help you out and make you look like an Amiga know it all! :lol:

Paul
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Nice one Paul, you're a real trooper as ever =D> :D
Paul wrote:..it's never let me down so hopefully it'll help you out and make you look like an Amiga know it all! :lol:
'look like' - that's the key, served me well in many walks of life for years \:D/
and wrote:...so should reach you on the 14th ready for the weekend! :D
I'll get on it as soon as they arrive - I mean, what else am I gonna do on the 14th ? :-k 8-[ :-#

[me glances nervously across the room at my wife of 35 years...]
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Yesterday I received....

A bunch of Amiga floppies from Simon (sydney) and Paul (paulv) so huge thanks to both for their kindness :D =D>

Now waiting for an opportune moment to apply my newly-acquired powers.....

Return to “other vintage hardware, software and languages”