The Curious Case of The Missing Victorian

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
aerworuld

The Curious Case of The Missing Victorian

Post by aerworuld »

Just for completeness i thought i should put a reference into the 'adventures' section to link to the little Quill adventure i posted up for the Elk:

The game is called 'The Curious Case of The Missing Victorian', the original thread in 8-bit Software/games is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6856#p74629
the thread contains a zipped Electron ssd. Please download and enjoy ;)

edit: now that the Retro Software page is up and running, i've taken the ssd down from the *. thread to save confusion. See link below.
Last edited by aerworuld on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aerworuld

Re: The Curious Case of The Missing Victorian

Post by aerworuld »

I'm hoping to be able to submit it to Retro Software for consideration as a new Freeware download; I've noticed there isn't as many new text adventures coming onto the scene for our beautiful Elk these days...

I'll join up over there and see what happens ;)

Stuart
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

joined up, thread started over at Retro Software if you fancy following whats happening ;)

Stuart
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

aerworuld wrote:joined up, thread started over at Retro Software if you fancy following whats happening ;)

Stuart

Game now has a full entry :D at Retro Software
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

TCCOTMV got a shoutout in this weeks Retro Asylum podcast! It's at 37:30 in the cast ;)
davidb

Post by davidb »

I suggest collecting links to reviews and things on the Retro Software page for your game. It's nice to go back later and see where it was mentioned. :)

Oh, and the audio file for the podcast can be downloaded from the podcast hosting site for those of you who don't have Javascript and Flash enabled in your browsers.
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

davidb wrote:I suggest collecting links to reviews and things on the Retro Software page for your game. It's nice to go back later and see where it was mentioned. :)

Oh, and the audio file for the podcast can be downloaded from the podcast hosting site for those of you who don't have Javascript and Flash enabled in your browsers.
i should do that David! I wasn't sure if it was the sort of thing to mention there :oops: :oops:

will put a note there forthwith ;)
davidb

Post by davidb »

It certainly was worth mentioning here. :)

I was just suggesting that it's also worth keeping a list of appearances on the RS page for future reference. It didn't seem worth it initially for Jungle Journey, but then it appeared in a couple of places so I started to keep track of them.
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

i'm asking awkward convert-back-to-cassette Quill related questions if anyone fancies a challenge over on the TCCOTMV Retro Software discussion thread....

Stuart ;)
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

aerworuld wrote:i'm asking awkward convert-back-to-cassette Quill related questions if anyone fancies a challenge over on the TCCOTMV Retro Software discussion thread....
Hi, Stuart. Just thought I'd do a quick reply here in case I've got the wrong end of the stick on this, which is more than likely! :oops:

I tested the patched version of The Quill and the tutorial game that I mentioned at the end of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1281

I first *LOADed the game database file from disc and then switched to tape and *SAVEd it to tape. The unpatched tape version of the Quill was then able to read in the database I'd just saved.

I was also able to save my position to tape from within the Test Adventure mode of the Quill. This was all in Mac BeebEm, btw, not an Electron emulator, and certainly not on an actual physical tape system, so YMMV.

Does that help, or am I barking up the wrong tree? #-o
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

No no that sounds like exactly what I wanted to hear; thank you! I will have a crack at this as I think it will achieve what I needed!

Stuart :)
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

didnt work :(

struggling a bit with this - i've continued the discussion over on the Retro Software thread to keep things in the right place.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

Hi Stuart,

Just wanted to let you know I think this adventure is great!

I was a bit bored yesterday evening, so I did a quick port of it to the Atom:
TCCOTMG.png
As far as I can see it works, including loading and saving, but the text is formatted for a 40 column screen, so the line breaks are a bit awkward.

I think the line length is fixed in the source text, with things like forced spaces. Is this correct?

I've tried extracting the database from the binary version, but it seems a bit messed up. It might be because I'm using a different version of Quill, or because you can't just extract the database.

What version are you using? I'm using Version A00.

Are you thinking of making the sources to this available?

Dave
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Cool!

Better get an inlay prepared for the Atom version too! :)

Does it require the 32k RAM expansion, or will it run on a 12k+12k Atom?
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

Arcadian wrote: Does it require the 32k RAM expansion, or will it run on a 12k+12k Atom?
It currently uses #0400 to #0800 (1K) and #2900 to #6000 (14K) so it's not quite going to fit in a 12K Atom.

Dave
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

hoglet wrote:Hi Stuart,

Just wanted to let you know I think this adventure is great!

I was a bit bored yesterday evening, so I did a quick port of it to the Atom:
TCCOTMG.png
As far as I can see it works, including loading and saving, but the text is formatted for a 40 column screen, so the line breaks are a bit awkward.

I think the line length is fixed in the source text, with things like forced spaces. Is this correct?

I've tried extracting the database from the binary version, but it seems a bit messed up. It might be because I'm using a different version of Quill, or because you can't just extract the database.

Are you thinking of making the sources to this available?

Dave

Hi Dave, that's brilliant work; nice one!

I'm not sure there was another version released for the Electron so I would assume It is the same one, mine is patched for disc use.

You are correct; the spaces are forced as is the formatting as part of the compression routine to save space (along with lower case). I don't think the database can be extracted once the game is 'finalised'. Later on today I'll post up an image of the game database.
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

Arcadian wrote:Cool!

Better get an inlay prepared for the Atom version too! :)

Does it require the 32k RAM expansion, or will it run on a 12k+12k Atom?

Hehe love it! The Electron version will be on the way, promise ;)
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

I think the "Version" label there is a bit misleading because the Beeb tape version and the newly-rediscovered-by-hoglet Beeb disc version of the Quill both display "Version A00" when they first boot up, even though they seem to be incompatible with each other: I tried loading a tape Quill db into disc Quill and then tried to test the game in-Quill, but it just printed a load of garbage on screen. Haven't tested any further yet.
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

lurkio wrote:
I think the "Version" label there is a bit misleading because the Beeb tape version and the newly-rediscovered-by-hoglet Beeb disc version of the Quill both display "Version A00" when they first boot up, even though they seem to be incompatible with each other: I tried loading a tape Quill db into disc Quill and then tried to test the game in-Quill, but it just printed a load of garbage on screen. Haven't tested any further yet.

Oops sorry! I get so wrapped up in all things Electron that I forget there a big grown-up relative called the Beeb too ;)

edit just checked and my Electron version gives A01 at launch.
Last edited by aerworuld on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

ok, here is a zipped .ssd image of the disc that contains my Database file for TCCOTMV.
TCCOTMV_DB.zip
contains PINE_DB (Quill d/b for TCCOTMV)
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Im sorry i didn't time to take the other files off the disc image; ignore them - the Quill game database file is called PINE_DB and works with the cassette version of the Quill that has been patched for disc use instead. This way the player loads the finalised game from disc and is also able to make in-game loads/saves to disc.

Hope this is of interest/helps!
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

aerworuld wrote:ok, here is a zipped .ssd image of the disc that contains my Database file for TCCOTMV.
The attachment TCCOTMV_DB.zip is no longer available
Im sorry i didn't time to take the other files off the disc image; ignore them - the Quill game database file is called PINE_DB and works with the cassette version of the Quill that has been patched for disc use instead. This way the player loads the finalised game from disc and is also able to make in-game loads/saves to disc.

So, did you create and test that game db in a patched Electron tape version of the Quill which reports its version number as A01?

If so, that's kind of interesting because the patched A00 Beeb tape version seems to load in your db file without error. However, hoglet's Beeb disc version can't quite understand the db file: it almost gets it right, but e.g. the Location Descriptions are slightly jumbled up -- plus, when you try to playtest the game in-Quill, it prints a garbled first-room description, then gibberish, and then hangs!

Anyway, I saved PINE-DB off your ssd disc image and saved it to tape. See attached. It loads into the unpatched Beeb tape version of Quill.

Not sure how much any of this helps, but at least it's on record!
Attachments
TCCOTMV.uef.zip
(10.96 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

lurkio wrote:
aerworuld wrote:ok, here is a zipped .ssd image of the disc that contains my Database file for TCCOTMV.
TCCOTMV_DB.zip

So, did you create and test that game db in a patched Electron tape version of the Quill which reports its version number as A01?

If so, that's kind of interesting because the patched A00 Beeb tape version seems to load in your db file without error. However, hoglet's Beeb disc version can't quite understand the db file: it almost gets it right, but e.g. the Location Descriptions are slightly jumbled up -- plus, when you try to playtest the game in-Quill, it prints a garbled first-room description, then gibberish, and then hangs!

Anyway, I saved PINE-DB off your ssd disc image and saved it to tape. See attached. It loads into the unpatched Beeb tape version of Quill.

Not sure how much any of this helps, but at least it's on record!

Yep, the database was created on an Electron running a patched version of A01. Tomorrow I'll image the program disc back onto my PC so I can run your database .uef back through and hopefully finalise a complete game .uef from the Quill version it was originally created on!

Perhaps that way we can get what we need! Not sure why my .uef didn't work but it's obviously fussy with versions ;) this way at least that chance of error should be eliminated.

Thank you for posting the .uef up :)
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

okie dokie, with thanks to most excellent help from Lurkio for his db uef, here is a finalised tape version of TCCOTMV.
VICTORIANS.zip
bare bones full game
(14.08 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Later on i will add bells and whistles like a loading screen and an instruction page, but the game is there and the saves and loads in-game work fine to uef.

Once it's all done, i will post the complete file up to the page on Retro Software.

Once ive completed, is it easy enough to transfer from uef to an actual cassette?
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

aerworuld wrote:Once ive completed, is it easy enough to transfer from uef to an actual cassette?
Think you need something like freeuef, but hopefully the people in the know will be along shortly.

EDIT: see "TRANSFERRING SOFTWARE TO CASSETTE" at http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/index ... tapeimages

Might be a bit out of date but enough to get you started ...
Last edited by richardtoohey on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

How far have people got with playing this game? Anyone completed it? I'm thinking of having a concerted effort this weekend, and I won't be cheating!

Dave
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

Thank you Richard, I will have a crack at that later :D

Good luck with the play through Dave, I hope you enjoy ;) don't forget iamaran's excellent entry over at CASA Solution Archive ;)

Maybe we should shift over to the Retro Software thread for further discussions, admins might tell me off if we stay here :D
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Hi Stuart, don't worry about transferring the UEF to cassette: the Retro Software Production Department (aka Col!) will take care of generating an optimal 'master' copy. (And then I'll duplicate all the tapes!).
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

Arcadian wrote:Hi Stuart, don't worry about transferring the UEF to cassette: the Retro Software Production Department (aka Col!) will take care of generating an optimal 'master' copy. (And then I'll duplicate all the tapes!).

hi Dave, sounds good!

one last thing - i've followed the instructions on the RS site for creating a loading screen from the blank template and the screen i have created loads from disc, but when i save the merged LOADER file to tape and CHAIN it i get an error

at line 50

each time. Am i missing something?

Stuart

edit scratch all that, just read your email re loader ;)
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

aerworuld wrote:okie dokie, with thanks to most excellent help from Lurkio for his db uef, here is a finalised tape version of TCCOTMV.
Great work, Stuart! And glad I could help.
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

lurkio wrote:
aerworuld wrote:okie dokie, with thanks to most excellent help from Lurkio for his db uef, here is a finalised tape version of TCCOTMV.
Great work, Stuart! And glad I could help.

Thank you my friend!

Okie dokie, one last thing... While a new style loading screen is being devised we're after volunteers to help with a play testing the uef version before it goes to final cassette press ;) started that new thread for it to keep everything in one place.

Stuart :)

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”