Post by Garrettimus »

VincentVega

Re: What is the average age on here??

Post by VincentVega »

(5<<3) | (128 >> 7)
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I'm 48. Can we have an update on the average age please ?
Good luck with that one because the posts go back to 2013 and people aren't declaring their birthday !
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

fuzzel wrote:I'm 48. Can we have an update on the average age please ?
Snap! It was my birthday last month. A few more months and I'll be &23456789AB centiseconds old. ;)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

What surprises me is how many here are so much younger than me, whole decades even. It always felt that the natural time to have encountered BBCs and become used to programming them was at school in 1982-1985 or so, which would result in you being 45-50 now. Any older and you'd have left school before the computers got there, any younger and the computers would have left the schools before you got there.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

101110 :D
danielj

Post by danielj »

We had Beebs in school from 1982/3 (right when I was starting at primary school) through to 1992 when I finished my GCSEs... IIRC my secondary school finally ditched them in about 1994. (age-wise, you can probably do the maths :D)

d.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

Beebs were still in use at my primary school when I left in 1998. They were still in occasional use at my secondary school when I started, but got phased out there after a year or two. There was one used from time to time in my A-level Physics class, about 2003.
DigitalDunc

Post by DigitalDunc »

I used a BBC when still in primary school and my secondary school and I was using them up until I left. I couldn't say whether they kept them much longer however. My age, a springy spritely 40.
BitWise

Post by BitWise »

Andrew Jacobs
6502 & PIC Stuff - http://www.obelisk.me.uk/
Cross-Platform 6502/65C02/65816 Macro Assembler - http://www.obelisk.me.uk/dev65/
Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs
ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte »

SarahWalker wrote:Beebs were still in use at my primary school when I left in 1998. They were still in occasional use at my secondary school when I started, but got phased out there after a year or two. There was one used from time to time in my A-level Physics class, about 2003.
I can confirm they were still in my secondary school at least as late as 1997, though they'd been relegated to typing class. Which I recall having exactly once and even at the time I wasn't entirely sure why.
Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

Er, 70 in two weeks' time...
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Mad Dan wrote:Er, 70 in two weeks' time...
Ha! You old sod . . . I've two years to go for that one :lol:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
roganjosh

Post by roganjosh »

Two fat ladies, 59.

Nurse!
Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 »

I'm 37

Used beebs from the age of 5 and then Arcs at school from 1991. Really got the bug when we looked after a Master Compact from the school my mother worked at one summer (1989 I think) as they didn't want it getting stolen while the building was empty. We bought an Atari ST after that, replaced by an A3010 in 1992. School moved to PCs in 1996, as did I. Looking forward to getting back into it now that I have the space to rescue all my old gadgets - really glad I kept the Acorn stuff.
marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler »

49 & 11/12ths

we had one computer at high school RML 380Z i think... which was hogged by a friend of mine.
I had a zx81 briefly and then an ATOM, which got sold for a spectrum which in turn got sold for a BBC that I still have ( currently poorly with RAM issues )
At uni we used the HUD mainframe for programming projects mostly SPICE and PASCAL, although there was still a suite of BBCs on econet for wordprocessing duties... I still had my BEEB at this point so I was able to support the college work using ISO PASCAL and WORDWISE... Then I bought an AMIGA 500 and got lost in gaming..... :lol:
John Ferguson

Post by John Ferguson »

I am aged 79 and once in 1980 I built a teletext board for the Atom using a circuit diagram.

I drew the circuit on a copper plated board using a special material and burnt off the surrounding copper leaving the circuit paths.

I do not remember why I did this but it may have been that I liked a challenge.

It may have been a way of getting a colour output before I bought the colour board.

John
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

John Ferguson wrote:I am aged 79 and once in 1980 I built a teletext board for the Atom using a circuit diagram.

John
It's a long shot but,, any pictures perhaps?... [-o<

Greetings, Wim... :-)
yellowpig

Post by yellowpig »

You make me feel quite a youngster at just 66.

David
John Ferguson

Post by John Ferguson »

No pictures of the teletext board I am afraid.

John
joachim

Post by joachim »

jgharston wrote:It always felt that the natural time to have encountered BBCs and become used to programming them was at school in 1982-1985 or so, which would result in you being 45-50 now.
Oh, everyone feels that the way they did it is the only natural way. I encountered BBCs — and wrote my terrible BASIC programs — at infant school in 1982–1985, so I'm not yet 40.

(And now I'm wondering how I knew what to do with them, because of course the teachers didn't. I suppose in those days you could get a long way with the User Guide, library books and understanding parents.)
tautology

Post by tautology »

I'm just the wrong side of 40; but we saw our first beeb in the last couple of years of primary school (only the one for the whole school) - though this was in deepest, darkest Yorkshire (full of inertia for change: I still remember doing maths exercises in £'s, shillings and pence, even though currency was decimalised years before I was born). My class was one of those that had articles on the Domesday book. (I'm also pretty certain my mother is in one of the pictures.)

There was also a Domesday book computer, I think this was got during the last year of primary school; but it may have been at secondary.

In secondary school, there was only one room of BBC Bs, with a manky old 380Z at the end. Later the school got more computers: a Master and Torch in the CDT technology and a room of master for business studies, which had, gasp, a modem!

Before I took my GCSEs we had arcs coming in, and by the time I did my A-levels pretty much all the Beebs had been replaced by Arcs, with one PC for CD-ROMs.
Wouter Scholten

Post by Wouter Scholten »

joachim wrote:
jgharston wrote:It always felt that the natural time to have encountered BBCs and become used to programming them was at school in 1982-1985 or so, which would result in you being 45-50 now.
Oh, everyone feels that the way they did it is the only natural way.
No, what Jonathan writes is correct (correctly reasoned, logical). Exceptions only mean that this 'rule' is not always correct, which is why it is a rule, and why it isn't a fact/law... So the 'natural time' gives the rule, and it is generally correct.

I'm 25, but I look a bit older (just a little, really), and I guess I shouldn't tell this, but it comes from time travelling which is stressful and thus bad for your health. Recently I scored 873k playing Planetoid, and it might interest you that I scored my slightly higher 1996 high-score with Planetoid, next week...

:)
bprosman

Post by bprosman »

52 here, (born in 1965) , bought my first atom as a kit in 1980. When the Dutch Acorn magazine was about 3 copied sheets and "cut and paste" meant scissors and glue :D
KayjayUK

Post by KayjayUK »

Am I the oldest on here ? I'm 66 next month, December. I was born in 1951.

I started with computers at school, a pal and I talked with our maths teacher about building a computer and we designed and built a small unit that added or subtracted binary numbers.

After leaving school and heading into the mid 70's the first microprocessors were making their appearance, I built a 4004 processor based comp project in Practical Electronics, then came the 8008, then the 8080 and the glorious Z80 which was the processor for my first serious computer, the Nascom I, supplied as a kit, it took my about a week of soldering in the evenings to complete. I also built the 77/68 computer which was 6800 based, again in kit form.

These computers worked well for me for many years until one day I was in the pub and a pal of mine who knew I was into computers asked if I wanted to buy a couple of tape games he had, one was Felix and the Factory. Well this was a BBC B version of the game so I took them off his hands and next day went into town and bought a Beeb ..... and there we are. I still have the Nascom and the 77/68 and still use them but the Beeb has some much more going for it especially that I can program in Z80 on it :)

Keith ... collecting pension tomorrow ...........
From little Acorns great Beebs grow!
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

KayjayUK wrote:Am I the oldest on here ? I'm 66 next month, December. I was born in 1951.
Not even close:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 71#p147271
KayjayUK

Post by KayjayUK »

hoglet wrote:
KayjayUK wrote:Am I the oldest on here ? I'm 66 next month, December. I was born in 1951.
Not even close:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 71#p147271
OH WOW ! I missed that post. I see I have a bit of living to do yet :)
From little Acorns great Beebs grow!
Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 »

46 I am
NilByMouth

Post by NilByMouth »

PRINT EVAL ("&35")
northernbob

Post by northernbob »