Atom Colour Board Thread

emulators, hardware and classic software for atom + system machines
AndyGarton

Re: Atom Colour Board Thread

Post by AndyGarton »

Thanks, but the words “vintage” and “untested” scared me off! I’m really looking for one of the modern day versions, it looks like they’re no longer being made perhaps?
aerobaticant

Post by aerobaticant »

Hi folks,

I was wondering what happened to this project as the thread appears to have fizzled out.
I'm interested in making a colour board / noise killer myself and Phill's board looks great.
Were the board designs ever published? I haven't found them.

One change I might make would be to use a PLCC version of the CPLD (I have a few lying around :D ) in a through-hole socket to aid DIY assembly for those less skilled in SMD assembly.
joshua

Post by joshua »

can anyone shine a light on this ;

sinclair connect to rgb2hdmi ?

i tried the wiki , but could not find the way to hook up a sinclair ql / zx81 / zx spectrum /sx spectrum 128 / commodore 64 commodore 128 to the rgb2hdmi .

i have the iss5 main pcb , but what else do i need , and how to hook them up .

regards,

joshua
digidave

Post by digidave »

Hope this is the right thread for my first post. I've got an Atom with Acorn Colour board and I want to take RGB output from PL4.
I see that pin 9/10 are composite/0v but I've searched all over and can't find pinouts for the 6 lines I need for RGB (and, by default, which 2 lines I don't need). I've seen plenty of posts where people say they've wired a BBC-type 6 pin DIN connector (which is what I want to do) but I just need pin numbers for R/G/B/5v/GND/sync. Can anyone fill me in, please? Thanks!

BTW, apart from the obvious quality reasons, I need to use RGB because the UHF display fades out as the Atom heats up (heatsink) after 5 minutes or so.
Can anyone suggest from your experience - is this likely to be due to my 9v 3A unregulated PSU, capacitors (not re-capped yet) or something else?
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

digidave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:47 am Hope this is the right thread for my first post. I've got an Atom with Acorn Colour board and I want to take RGB output from PL4.
I see that pin 9/10 are composite/0v but I've searched all over and can't find pinouts for the 6 lines I need for RGB (and, by default, which 2 lines I don't need). I've seen plenty of posts where people say they've wired a BBC-type 6 pin DIN connector (which is what I want to do) but I just need pin numbers for R/G/B/5v/GND/sync. Can anyone fill me in, please? Thanks!
You get the R/G/B/S signals directly from the colour board, as PL4 is not designed to carry R/G/B/S.

Can you post a photo of your colour board, so we can see what type you have?

Dave
digidave

Post by digidave »

Thanks - I'll post that shortly, That explains why I couldn't find the pinouts anywhere! :)
digidave

Post by digidave »

Sorry for the delay. Here's my board pic:
Attachments
IMG_20240411_223953924.jpg
digidave

Post by digidave »

Is anyone able to tell me where to draw R/G/B/S lines from, please?
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

digidave wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:18 pm Is anyone able to tell me where to draw R/G/B/S lines from, please?
It's written on the pcb itself... :-)
oss003

Post by oss003 »

The RGB connections are located at the top left of the Colour board and the Sync on the top middle:

RGB.png

And you can find a manual here: https://site.acornatom.nl/atom_handleid ... manual.pdf

Greetings
Kees
digidave

Post by digidave »

Fantastic. Veel bedankt, meneer!
Groetjes,
David

Return to “acorn atom and acorn system series”