Archimedes Software Preservation Project

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

sirbod

Re: Archimedes Software Preservation Project

Post by sirbod »

Terramex is now available and works on up to the Pi with the latest ADFFS beta
Last edited by sirbod on Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmd

Post by wmd »

MatthewThompson wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 amNosher was a Pacman style game, I have a demo for Nosher but not the full version, they were both mail order games published by the author (I think) which is probably why they are obscure.
Do you know if the Nosher demo came from a cover disc? If not, any chance you could upload it? It isn't listed anywhere, and the only mention I found of the full version was from an old advert in Acorn User Oct '92 (page 30).
acorn_fan

Post by acorn_fan »

I recall Nosher was written someone who I was friends with at the time. I might have a copy on floppy he posted me somewhere - I’ll see if I can dig it out (and if it still works) when I get a moment.
Last edited by acorn_fan on Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmd

Post by wmd »

That would be great, as other than the advert I linked to, this is one of those games that seems to have been completely lost to time.
acorn_fan

Post by acorn_fan »

Good news: I've found the disk and the game works on original kit.
Bad news: I've now remembered one of the authors hobbies in life was disk protection. I've attached the ADDFS Image but I couldn't run it from it or copy the files to HDD. Advice welcome! I've not uploaded files before here so hoping this works.

Nosher (it's an ADDFS Floppy Image but needs extensions/file types to be sorted after download I think)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qm38la6w ... osher/file

Few pictures so you can see the game...

ADDFS read log:

Last edited by acorn_fan on Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmd

Post by wmd »

If it's protected, you need to make a JFD rip instead of an ADF rip. To do this, you need to make a recording file before you create a JFD file. It's easy to do, see instructions here:

https://forums.jaspp.org.uk/forum/viewt ... a984b46e61

See section "Creating your own recording file".

After creating the recording file, you can use it to then create the JFD rip, see "Imaging using an existing recording file" in link above, except instead of selecting the game name from the text field, you simply drag and drop your recording file onto the ""Drop here" icon in the "Recording file section".
acorn_fan

Post by acorn_fan »

thanks for the instructions. it fails at step 6 "Insert the floppy and copy all files to a temporary folder on your harddisc or RAM"... the filer doesn't seem to be able to copy the files from the floppy drive to RAM/HDD. The disc light stays on but the copy dialogue box is frozen for several minutes and it needs a ctrl-reset to regain use of the machine. am i missing something?
wmd

Post by wmd »

It does the same on my machine when I try to drag and drop the ADF contents to a folder on my HDD - the computer just freezes. Not sure if sirbod (author of ADFFS) is watching this thread as it's an old thread. Send him a PM to get him to have a look into it.
wmd

Post by wmd »

In the interim, you could try this as an alternative to step 6 - open every folder on the original disk, including application folders and normal folders within the app folders. With all folders open, proceed to step 7. No guarantee that will work but worth a try.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Looking at the contents of the disc, and it looks like the disc catalogue has been modified to obfuscate the file size for the file !ArmCode found in the !Nosher application dir. In the filer window it reports as being 16MB, which is technically impossible as floppy discs can only contain 1.4MB. This is what is preventing the manual file copy, not sure if it has anything to do with any other protection mechanisms that may be on the disc.
acorn_fan

Post by acorn_fan »

wmd wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:57 pm Iopen every folder on the original disk, including application folders and normal folders within the app folders...No guarantee that will work but worth a try.
Had a go... the resultant recording file is <2k so seems to have stopped very early in the process.
wmd

Post by wmd »

To make ADFFS "see" the files you need to copy them to another location. You can do that for all files except the !ArmCode file. I wonder if there is another way for ADFFS to "see" that file without copying it. Let's wait and see what sirbod says.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

acorn_fan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:44 pm thanks for the instructions. it fails at step 6 "Insert the floppy and copy all files to a temporary folder on your harddisc or RAM"
Skip step 6, just start the recording and then run the game - just make sure the disc hasn't been seen by RISC OS before you start the recording - to ensure it captures everything FileCore sees.

Provided the game loads everything from floppy (step 6 is a fail-safe for this), ADFFS will capture a recording of all the important sectors. Play a bit of a level - to ensure any protection checks are captured, and then close the recording file.

Hopefully that captures enough for you to create a working JFD image.
acorn_fan

Post by acorn_fan »

sirbod wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:05 pm Skip step 6, just start the recording and then run the game
thanks - but still no luck. the recording file remains <2k. Maybe in part because I don't seem to be able to close the recording file (SHIFT-CTRL-F10) - all the keys are locked and only reset exits. is there anything else I can try?
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

acorn_fan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:53 pm still no luck. the recording file remains <2k. Maybe in part because I don't seem to be able to close the recording file (SHIFT-CTRL-F10) - all the keys are locked and only reset exits. is there anything else I can try?
If it’s >0 bytes, it did close as it’s only written to disk when closed.

Have you tried imaging the floppy using the recording file?
philpem

Post by philpem »

acorn_fan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:09 pm ADDFS read log:

If you're near Leeds, or willing to send the disk to me (I'll obviously return it!), I can image it with a Greaseweazle - disc protection won't matter as this reads at the level of the magnetic field on the disc. That'd give you a HFE file which should run in Arculator, should you so choose, or on a Gotek emulator. Either way it'll be preserved.

Otherwise if you're local to Manchester, I'll be at ABUG North at the end of the month and can probably meet you in the hotel lobby with a laptop and disk imaging gear.

And failing all that -- there might be someone local to you who can do the same and is easier to get to!

Also - there should be no need to use Mediafire or Putimg to send images and files - you should be able to attach them to your posts.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
acorn_fan

Post by acorn_fan »

philpem wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:17 pm send the disk to me
happy to do that - i'm drawing a blank here. tried recording again today and getting 0 byte file now. Pls can you PM me your address?

I suspect the copy protection will be the most impressive feature of this floppy! I also wonder if any one is up for trying to crack it?
philpem wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:17 pm Also - there should be no need to use Mediafire or Putimg to send images and files - you should be able to attach them to your posts.
Ta - i've never managed that for some reason... must be missing the icons but will pay more attention next time!
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

acorn_fan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:49 pm I suspect the copy protection will be the most impressive feature of this floppy! I also wonder if any one is up for trying to crack it?
eMail the ADF to me, I might be able to create a recording file from what it did read.
acorn_fan

Post by acorn_fan »

sirbod wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:50 pm eMail the ADF to me, I might be able to create a recording file from what it did read.
... is that the same as the file I linked to above (quoted below)?
acorn_fan wrote: Nosher (it's an ADDFS Floppy Image but needs extensions/file types to be sorted after download I think)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/qm38la6w ... osher/file
wmd

Post by wmd »

We now have a HFE rip of this. It works perfectly in Arculator, although it seems to be very slow to load, possibly due to the disk protection. Is there a way to convert HFE to JFD? ADFFS won't create a JFD of the mounted HFE in Arculator.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

wmd wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:27 pm We now have a HFE rip of this. It works perfectly in Arculator, although it seems to be very slow to load, possibly due to the disk protection. Is there a way to convert HFE to JFD? ADFFS won't create a JFD of the mounted HFE in Arculator.
No, but if you email it to me I'll create the recording file and image it within Arculator. I'll also add it to the database and look at packaging it.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Email sent. BTW, I noticed that the JASPP website has been down now for at least a couple of days.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

wmd wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:17 pm Email sent. BTW, I noticed that the JASPP website has been down now for at least a couple of days.
Thanks, I've downloaded it if you want to remove it.

Regards the website, that's more likely to be either Internet backbone issues or a slow response from StopForumSpam where its checking your IP and/or eMail address.

Testing via 4G it loads in ms for me.

EDIT: Nosher imaged first time without any issues
wmd

Post by wmd »

I get this error using ADFFS 2.83:

Settings:

sirbod

Post by sirbod »

wmd wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:55 pm I get this error using ADFFS 2.83
It's probably fixed in the 2.84 beta
wmd

Post by wmd »

Tried that version, and everything seemed to go OK. Was able to actually create the JFD, but when I try to open it I get the error: "FileCore does not understand this disc".
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

wmd wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:30 pm Tried that version, and everything seemed to go OK. Was able to actually create the JFD, but when I try to open it I get the error: "FileCore does not understand this disc".
Did you image it from a clean boot, without mounting the HFE before starting the recording?

Here's how I imaged it:
  1. Open Arculator
  2. Run !ADFFS
  3. F12
  4. *ADFRecord hostfs::hostfs.$.recording
  5. RETURN back to the desktop
  6. Mount the HFE in Arculator
  7. Open ADFS:0 Filer
  8. Copy !1MbUsers to RAM: (I don't recall the exact name of this directory)
  9. Run !Nosher
  10. Play the game for a while
  11. CTRL-SHIFT-F10 to close the recording file
  12. Restart the machine, load !ADFFS, image using $.recording
I then ejected the HFE, restarted the machine, loaded !ADFFS, mounted the image and ran !Nosher to confirm it worked correctly.
wmd

Post by wmd »

I followed the steps exactly. I played the game and got to stage 2. When I pressed CTRL-SHIFT-F10 the game froze. I then did a hard reset, then continued with step 12. However, I get an error: "Unable to read file". I checked the file size of the recording file, and it is zero bytes. I'm using Arculator v2.2.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

wmd wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:18 am I followed the steps exactly. I played the game and got to stage 2. When I pressed CTRL-SHIFT-F10 the game froze.
If you download the latest ADFFS 2.84 public beta I've added Nosher to the JFD imager.

I've also added a boot script (F1046301) with details on how to HD install it.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Thanks, seems to be working perfectly now.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”