Today I received.....

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
daveejhitchins

Re: Today I received.....

Post by daveejhitchins »

Well done, Lee . . . looks good =D> - Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

I ordered one of these as I needed a breadboard and some jumper wires for some raspberry pi experiments and I thought this all in one package will do

what I ordered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355303617824
Screenshot from 2024-04-26 22-57-06.png

what I actually received is a chinese knock-off of a chinese product !, I havent tested it yet but it worries me that they couldnt even spell electronics :P
knock-off.jpg
Image Image Image Image
james

Post by james »

An RGB2HDMI adapter

IMG_7283.jpeg

Which produces such clear and stable text, I can read a MODE 0 screen from across the living room!
origami_camera

Post by origami_camera »

james wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:02 pm An RGB2HDMI adapter
Hello. May I ask where you bought that from, please? And does it not need an external power supply?
Acorn Electron user since 1980-something, albeit with a three-decade hiatus
james

Post by james »

origami_camera wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:28 pm Hello. May I ask where you bought that from, please? And does it not need an external power supply?
There are various suppliers mentioned on the RGBtoHDMI wiki https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/w ... s-for-sale, I picked the one from SellMyRetro. Just needed to get a miniHDMI lead.

The device draws its power from the computer's RGB socket, so no extra power supply is needed.
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

lovebug wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 pm what I actually received is a chinese knock-off of a chinese product !, I havent tested it yet but it worries me that they couldnt even spell electronics :P
knock-off.jpg
Haha! Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. :lol:
origami_camera

Post by origami_camera »

james wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:02 pm There are various suppliers mentioned on the RGBtoHDMI wiki https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/w ... s-for-sale, I picked the one from SellMyRetro. Just needed to get a miniHDMI lead.

The device draws its power from the computer's RGB socket, so no extra power supply is needed.
Super. Thanks very much indeed.
Acorn Electron user since 1980-something, albeit with a three-decade hiatus
Leew

Post by Leew »

A replacement speaker for my Electron...

When fitted it is absolutely dreadful. It has no volume or depth to the sounds produced. To be fair, I don't know why I expected anything different given it was a couple of pounds for two speakers from China including delivery!

Does anyone know of a source for speakers that are more comparable to the original Electron speaker?
Attachments
IMG_20240504_070013_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240504_070006_HDR.jpg
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

in the past i've always used full range speakers in my projects and the sound quality is usually pretty good

I cant remember the brand that I used last as it was probably 10 years ago but it looked something like this
https://www.rapidonline.com/visaton-200 ... cm-35-2936

usually a speaker thats rated for full range and has a decent sized magnet will do the job
Image Image Image Image
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

lovebug wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:09 am in the past i've always used full range speakers in my projects and the sound quality is usually pretty good

I cant remember the brand that I used last as it was probably 10 years ago but it looked something like this
https://www.rapidonline.com/visaton-200 ... cm-35-2936

usually a speaker thats rated for full range and has a decent sized magnet will do the job
Humph! Won't fit the Electron :? . . . . :lol: - Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Leew wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:12 am replacement speaker for my Electron
Brand new 16 ohm "full range" paper cone speakers are not very common, let alone one of the correct size

Your best bet is to ask in the wanted topic to see if anyone has a "spare" speaker from a dead Elk.

It may be that an 8 ohm speaker will work okay, however the Elk uses a simple two transistor amplifier and I have not investigated if this would be happy with a lower impedance speaker.

8 ohm paper cone speakers are still available from various UK Electronic suppliers.

Mark
Boydie

Post by Boydie »

daveejhitchins wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:22 pm Humph! Won't fit the Electron :? . . . . :lol: - Dave H.
Will one from an A3000 fit?
Leew

Post by Leew »

Boydie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:02 pm
daveejhitchins wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:22 pm Humph! Won't fit the Electron :? . . . . :lol: - Dave H.
Will one from an A3000 fit?
Not sure about the A3000, but the speaker on the RISC PC looks identical to the Electron speaker, although I can't see the RISC PCs speaker rating as it is hot melt glued in and my RISC PC is in full working order, so I don't want to steal that one. The Electron speaker is abut 40mm diameter and looks like this...
Broken Speaker.jpg
Broken speaker...
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Leew wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:25 pm Broken speaker...
Apart from the interconnection wiring, what's wrong with it?

Mark
Boydie

Post by Boydie »

A3000 is 40mm but only 8ohm.

Given that the major difference is the load presented to the output stage, can anyone explain why an 8ohm resistor in series shouldn’t work?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Boydie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:20 pm Given that the major difference is the load presented to the output stage, can anyone explain why an 8ohm resistor in series shouldn’t work?
It will work, but the volume will be significantly reduced. Around half the power to the speaker will be lost in the resistor.

Mark
Leew

Post by Leew »

1024MAK wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:44 pm
Leew wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:25 pm Broken speaker...
Apart from the interconnection wiring, what's wrong with it?

Mark
I don't really know. The tiny wires are connected to the pads, they go down into the speaker and don't look broken or damaged, the cone is intact and looks good but, obviously the speaker doesn't work. When I put my multimeter across the terminals it show open. One of the pins inside the connecting wire that goes to the pins on the motherboard was very dark and brittle and the connector in the plug broke when I tried to clean it and bend it out slightly so that it made better contact with the peg on the motherboard, hence why I haven't reused those. When I got this Electron, I think it had spent a lot of time in a very damp environment and I had to do a lot of cleaning and quite a few solder joints needed reflowing, so I am assuming damp and it's previous owners poor storage has finally taken it's tole on the poor little speaker but visually it does look to be in good condition.
Lee W
------------
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

So, likely that damp has found an imperfection in the enamel copper wire for the "voice" coil wire and corrosion has eaten the copper causing it to go open circuit.

Mark

Return to “general”