Today I received.....

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
Lardo Boffin

Re: Today I received.....

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Nice! I think beer is essential to many endeavours.
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
jimster

Post by jimster »

My first ARM based Acorn computer... Picked up from eBay. By the time I reached 6th form for A-Level studies (a long long time ago), the science department had these Archimedes machines. Meanwhile the computing lab was still using BBC Masters and Model B's. Now I need to hunt down/buy a cable so I can plug this into a modern day monitor and check that it all works (seller said it was all functional).
Attachments
IMG_5796.jpeg
DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn »

Wow, that looks like a very nice model, congrats! The user guides are from Arthur, does it have RiscOS installed?
Paul
a1exh

Post by a1exh »

Nice. I didn't see that one for sale. Good that you've got all the keyboard and mouse etc. several of us here have just bought our first A310 (including myself) and are getting them up and running and fitting upgrades.
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A310 + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
jimster

Post by jimster »

DutchAcorn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:23 pm Wow, that looks like a very nice model, congrats! The user guides are from Arthur, does it have RiscOS installed?
It was a bit of a blind faith purchase! Not sure what OS is on it. It just looked a nice and tidy machine that even had its original box which seems a bit of a rarity on Ebay currently! No doubt I will look to upgrade it as it is a base A310 with no podules, etc. 3 things crossed my mind in terms of upgrade i) RiscOS (if required), ii) hard disk emulator and iii) econet. I will be searching this forum for guidance!
DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn »

jimster wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:59 pm …Now I need to hunt down/buy a cable so I can plug this into a modern day monitor and check that it all works (seller said it was all functional).
The A310 has a “monochrome video” output that is simple composite video. If you have an old monitor or television it is likely to have a “video in” socket.
Paul
a1exh

Post by a1exh »

The A310 was intended to be connected to a TV standard 15KHz 50Hz video monitor (or Multisync montor) so you won't be able to connect direct to "any old" fixed frequency modern monitor without modifications or an adapter (OSSC / RetroTink).

I believe you can add RISCOS 3 + Ultra VIDC Enhancer to open up more compatible modes. But I am not sure they are compatible with older software (e.g. games) but I could be wrong.

I made a 9-pin D -> RGB SCART cable. That works well on all my TVs including (relatively) modern LCDTV.
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A310 + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
jimster

Post by jimster »

a1exh wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:51 am The A310 was intended to be connected to a TV standard 15KHz 50Hz video monitor (or Multisync montor) so you won't be able to connect direct to "any old" fixed frequency modern monitor without modifications or an adapter (OSSC / RetroTink).

I believe you can add RISCOS 3 + Ultra VIDC Enhancer to open up more compatible modes. But I am not sure they are compatible with older software (e.g. games) but I could be wrong.

I made a 9-pin D -> RGB SCART cable. That works well on all my TVs including (relatively) modern LCDTV.
Thanks for the heads up on the monitor compatibility. More research required by me!
brianmartin_2001

Post by brianmartin_2001 »

jimster wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:59 pm My first ARM based Acorn computer... Picked up from eBay. By the time I reached 6th form for A-Level studies (a long long time ago), the science department had these Archimedes machines. Meanwhile the computing lab was still using BBC Masters and Model B's. Now I need to hunt down/buy a cable so I can plug this into a modern day monitor and check that it all works (seller said it was all functional).
IainFM has an AFK11I believe still on sale in the for Sale section. Might be a perfect retro addition, would it not ?

https://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28727
Sysop of (the Night Owl BBS) nightowlbbs.ddns.net:6400
james

Post by james »

Econet & chips*.

econet_chips.jpeg

* great with mushy peas / beans / sauce / etc
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

james wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:28 pm Econet & chips*.

* great with mushy peas / beans / sauce / etc
Don't forget the gravy :P

Mark
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Well, yesterday actually, a large hoard of beeb bits and pieces:

2 x Beebs. Both with APTL ROM expansion boards. One with a Viglen keyboard surround (now removed). One of the beebs has a rather dodgy looking power supply fitted to the power supply surround. I wondered why it was being secured by plastic screws! Note also the odd connector that mates to a connector on the beeb motherboard. I'm guessing there are patch wires on the underside of the motherboards to take the power to the appropriate locations on the motherboard. more investigation required. See photos below.

Edit: Ok, the underside of the PCB wasn't as bad as I though it would be. I've seen worse! However, I'll probably still reinstate the spade connectors and replace the PSU with something a bit safer at some point.

1 x Issue 6 Electron.
1 x Z80 Co-Processor with a bunch of manuals. In nice clean condition.
1 x 6502 Co-Processor with a User manual. In nice clean condition.
3 x Cassette players. One Acorn branded, the other two generic.
1 x Numeric Keypad
2 x Monitors. One Cub, the other is an Acorn branded Hitachi monitor that I've not seen before. I couldn't find anything online about it. I think its monochrome. Model number AFF 05. See photos below.
5 x Floppy disc drives. Two sets of two, and one standalone. I think one of the sets is 40 track single sided. The other set double sided 80 track non switchable. The standalone is double sided 40/80 track switchable
2 x Acornsoft (not Superior Software) branded Elite games. One tape, the other disc.
A whole bunch of Acorn User 5.25 & 3.5" discs. The 3.5" discs appear to be for the Archimedes.
A bunch of other original games on both disc and tape
A whole stack of beebug magazines, plus discs to go with them
A whole bunch of other books and manuals for hardware that wasn't present (eg Logotron).
And probably a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten to mention.

Most of the stuff is still untested, but I did power up one of the beebs (the one with the Viglen keyboard surround, after returning the keyboard to its original case. This is NOT the one with the dodgy power supply). It powered up fine, but I've still got to attach a monitor, and replace the caps.
20240323_200647.jpg
20240323_200625.jpg
20240323_200608.jpg
20240323_171948_01.jpg
20240323_171815.jpg
20240323_211510.jpg
20240323_211534.jpg
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

KenLowe wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:48 pm 2 x Monitors. One Cub, the other is an Acorn branded Hitachi monitor that I've not seen before. I couldn't find anything online about it. I think its monochrome. Model number AFF 05. See photos below.
Apart from the Acorn branded Hitachi monitor AFF05 (AFF 05) that I have...
See here.
I also thought that I had posted photos before but I haven't found the relevant topic yet. So I attach a couple here...
Pickfords Travel pixy - Acorn Computers by Hitachi, model No. AFF 05 monitor
Mark
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Okay, I've found where I posted the photos. It was in a PM to a member.

Anyway, apparently the Pickfords branded Acorn Hitachi AFF 05 monitors were likely bundled with Communicators.

Mark
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:28 pm Okay, I've found where I posted the photos. It was in a PM to a member.
Oh yes? Giving away the secret powers and privileges of the moderators, eh? We mere mortals aren't allowed attachments in PMs.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

BeebMaster wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:57 pm
1024MAK wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:28 pm Okay, I've found where I posted the photos. It was in a PM to a member.
Oh yes? Giving away the secret powers and privileges of the moderators, eh? We mere mortals aren't allowed attachments in PMs.
No, I used https://postimages.org/ to link to the photos.
Here:
1024MAK wrote:Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:44 am It’s Acorn beige. With a dark grey paint around the screen area.

Photo here:

Rear: Image

Click for full size images.

Mark
Mark
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:33 pm
KenLowe wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:48 pm 2 x Monitors. One Cub, the other is an Acorn branded Hitachi monitor that I've not seen before. I couldn't find anything online about it. I think its monochrome. Model number AFF 05. See photos below.
Apart from the Acorn branded Hitachi monitor AFF05 (AFF 05) that I have...
See here.
Ah, ok. That's the one. Not sure how I never found that in my searches! So, it does also look to be colour; not monochrome as I had assumed.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yep, mine has a cable with the correct DIN plug to go in the Beebs RGB Monitor port. It can display all the eight colours available from a Beeb.

Mark
growntree

Post by growntree »

A box and power supply from ukwebb to go with my pieconetbridge from kenlowe.
Last edited by 1024MAK on Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to correct the BB code tags so that the picture disolays
growntree

Post by growntree »

A raspberry pi400 and a monitor so I can play with riscos direct. It took me a while to get the econet settings right so it could connect to the pieconetbridge and it also took a while to get it to like my Asus wl-330n3g mini router so I can get around riscos' current dislike of WiFi, but it is quite happy now.
Leew

Post by Leew »

A shiny NEW PLUS 1 and AP6 Board thanks to Dave H
IMG_20240410_120113_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240410_115538_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240410_115513_HDR.jpg
Thanks Dave :)

Just waiting for the links to the STL's to print the Plus 1 some new clothes! :D :D
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
shifters74

Post by shifters74 »

That purple colour PCB looks very snazzy!

Shifters
jimster

Post by jimster »

I just received these for my BBC Micro and Master.... Never seen mode 7 so clear and sharp!
Attachments
IMG_5963.jpeg
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

today i found a joystick for my beeb in a charity shop, for £5! ive never seen anything beeb related in a charity shop before so had a very close look around, to see if there was anything else (there wasn’t) sadly cant test as everything in the car for abug tomorrow but will bring along to see if it works/get working! :)
Attachments
quickshot flight joystick :)
quickshot flight joystick :)
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Cruxinc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:08 pm today i found a joystick for my beeb in a charity shop, for £5! ive never seen anything beeb related in a charity shop before so had a very close look around, to see if there was anything else (there wasn’t) sadly cant test as everything in the car for abug tomorrow but will bring along to see if it works/get working! :)
Sadly I think that's a PC joystick Elliot. It has the same sized connector but they're not usually compatible without some modification/adapters.
Have a search, there's a few people who have done it:

viewtopic.php?t=15037

(For example)
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

baz4096 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:27 pm
Cruxinc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:08 pm today i found a joystick for my beeb in a charity shop, for £5! ive never seen anything beeb related in a charity shop before so had a very close look around, to see if there was anything else (there wasn’t) sadly cant test as everything in the car for abug tomorrow but will bring along to see if it works/get working! :)
Sadly I think that's a PC joystick Elliot. It has the same sized connector but they're not usually compatible without some modification/adapters.
Have a search, there's a few people who have done it:

viewtopic.php?t=15037

(For example)
ah thats a shame :( i dont have the skills necesary to modify it so will probably give away at abug along with another (non working but fixable) joystick.
thanks for the info
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
piersw

Post by piersw »

The BBC analogue port (inc joysticks) is very simple to use. I have no idea about PC joysticks, but wiring four directional switches to the BBC is not tricky. You just need a resistor on each direction (others here will give more detailed advice), and wire it to the 1.8 volt pin.

Give it a go - you can’t break anything expensive, and it could be a fun project for learning electronics. I wired up similar stuff for my Electron and ended up with a software job at Acorn.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

piersw wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:40 pm Give it a go - you can’t break anything expensive, and it could be a fun project for learning electronics.
I totally agree. If you’re only going to give it away, why not have a go at making it work? At the very least it’s good soldering practice.
Leew

Post by Leew »

Leew wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:43 pm A shiny NEW PLUS 1 and AP6 Board thanks to Dave H

Thanks Dave :)

Just waiting for the links to the STL's to print the Plus 1 some new clothes! :D :D
The New Plus 1 finally got it's new clothes :-D

Last piece finished printing last night....

New Plus 1 Case.jpg

I embellished the top cover with the Acorn Electron logo. Hope you are OK with the minor modification to your 3D designs Dave H and Mark :-)

New Plus 1 Top Cover.jpg

And plugged in and working great, very happy with the way it's turned out....
Electron With New Plus 1.jpg
Plus 1 Running View.jpg

Thanks Dave and Mark :-) :-) :-)
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030

Return to “general”