Today I received.....

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
Ronin47

Re: Today I received.....

Post by Ronin47 »

dominicbeesley wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:35 pm Ooh. Did you get those made? If so, where. I really need to get my act together and get some beeb Cherry mx caps made
Sorry, I ordered then from Dave over at Osiweb.org, he had them made specifically for the Cherry MX Browns that folks use for the OSI 600 replicas.

He's based in the US, though they do seem to be very much better geared up for this sort of thing.

Not cheap though...
dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Thanks Ronin,

When I've got head space to tackle my replica keyboard project again I'll try contacting him to see how he got them made. I'm guessing he used Signature Plastics if he's in the states.

D
Ronin47

Post by Ronin47 »

dominicbeesley wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:32 pm Thanks Ronin,

When I've got head space to tackle my replica keyboard project again I'll try contacting him to see how he got them made. I'm guessing he used Signature Plastics if he's in the states.

D
No worries. It's quite possible he used Signature, but I didn't ask. He's a helpful chap, so I'm sure he'll tell you.
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

I managed to pick up some more Unilab Alpha boards and a study book!
new-unilab-1.JPG
The book is only about 30 pages but has some neat exercises, such as building a little car with Lego (Technic 1032) and controlling it with the Unilab boards, so that's going to be fun :-) A quick skim through the book and I think I know what a latch does now and why you use them (yes, I'm slow!) - just need to figure out the difference between positive and negative edge triggers.

As a bonus I also discovered the existence of another board - the Reversing Unit - but don't know the board number yet. As some may know I'm trying to build a canonical list of these boards on another thread as none seems to exist anywhere on the interweb.

I still can't believe how difficult these are to come by, nor how little info these is on them. My guess its that, being used in schools, they being kept at back of cupboards as they don't have the ability to sell them on via eBay or the like. Shame as I'm still missing quite a few.
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Today I received (just for p&p) this... :-)

The previous owner user it for his A310...
Attachments
P1470765.JPG
P1470763.JPG
Ronin47

Post by Ronin47 »

Just dropped off by the postie:

PXL_20240123_113237545.jpg

Looking forward to giving it a go, I have a C128 coming :)
derek

Post by derek »

Just received a battery for my BBC Master, from Retro Clinic with instructions.
IMG_20240202_161546562.jpg
Regards,

Derek
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

Without a polarizing lens it's difficult taking a shot that isn't 90% a reflection of my hideous artex ceiling... :lol:

Been waiting ages for the A2 frames to arrive so I can do these justice. A massive thanks to Arcadian for these. =D> The quality is amazing, and I'm just so pleased with them right now.
IMG_1959.jpeg
IMG_1957.jpeg
james

Post by james »

… a Turbo
IMG_7155.jpeg
danielj

Post by danielj »

james wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:30 pm … a Turbo
Vrrrm
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

Big thank you to baz4096 for sending me their spare copy of the Archimedes OS book. Goes nicely with my favorite ASM reference. It's in great condition, I can only imagine the copy you kept must be mint! :D
IMG_1962.jpeg
growntree

Post by growntree »

My first ever physical welcome guide and some eprom adaptors so I can modify my Retroclinic MultiOS from IDE back to standard to be able to do BeebSCSI on a 1MHzPi.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Enjoy the Welcome Guide, I consulted it only recently having realised that there is actually a phenomenal amount of in-depth technical detail in there, which isn't repeated in other Master Series manuals.
growntree

Post by growntree »

Thank you Beebmaster. Yes, there seemed to be a lot of basic things I didn't know how to do, so thought it wise to get one, lol.
growntree

Post by growntree »

Next batch of goodies...

A greaseweazle and a 1MHz Pi Level Shifter from @KenLowe

davehill

Post by davehill »

An Acorn A4 with Econet!!!! :-D

Massive thanks to @IanJeffray and @KenLowe for meeting up, delivering and installing Econet Modules and shipping to me a fully functioning Acorn A4! One very happy boy today!!
IMG_4883 copy.jpg
BBC Master, BBC Model B, Electron, A5000, A4000, RISC PC, PIBridge, Piconet, and too many Raspberry PI's and now an A4 😁
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Nice :).
a1exh

Post by a1exh »

davehill wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:58 pm An Acorn A4 with Econet!!!! :-D
Nice. Lucky boy.
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A310 + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
a1exh

Post by a1exh »

Actually it was yesterday...

Acorn Archimedes A310. Econet & 2 podule riser fitted. Looking to get a keyboard, ROM Riser so I can upgrade to RISCOS 3.11 and an IDE podule.
s-l1600 (3).jpg
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A310 + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
james

Post by james »

A T48 EPROM programmer

t48.jpeg

And I have read an EPROM! Which is, oddly, really quite exciting ...
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

james wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:14 pm And I have read an EPROM!
That's an EEPROM not an EPROM ;)
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
james

Post by james »

Ukwebb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:38 pm
It is, you're right, well spotted =D> !

In the 'old days' there were EPROM programmers and that's the name that's stuck with me. Not sure what you officially call these modern-fangled all-singing, all-dancing multi-purpose programmers.

Just in my own defence, I did read an EPROM before putting the EEPROM in. (Thanks to minipro)
jonb

Post by jonb »

james wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:45 pm
Ukwebb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:38 pm
It is, you're right, well spotted =D> !

In the 'old days' there were EPROM programmers and that's the name that's stuck with me. Not sure what you officially call these modern-fangled all-singing, all-dancing multi-purpose programmers.

Just in my own defence, I did read an EPROM before putting the EEPROM in. (Thanks to minipro)
..but can it handle a TMS2716 I wonder..?
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

Diminished wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:48 pm PURPLE
I've assembled this now; it's a means of getting software onto my resurrected 286 PC from 1991, via wireless network. There's a £6 Raspberry Pi Pico W running some awful code I wrote, some level shiftery via BJTs, and some lights, obviously.

Physically, the board just dangles off a serial port on the old ISA Multi I/O card. (The serial port doesn't provide power, so the red wire steals that from the game port on the Multi I/O). I can then use MS-DOS Kermit on the 286 to talk to C-Kermit on my laptop, which can transparently connect over TCP/IP.
_IMG_20240314_215159016.jpg
_IMG_20240314_214858088.jpg
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

Zip drive! :) Works perfectly on the A5000, though sadly it seems something's iffy with the parallel port on my A3020, so that will need investigating.
zipdrive.jpg
growntree

Post by growntree »

Strangely, I came across my old parallel port zip drive the other day. Zip drive, power lead, zip discs, but no parallel port cable. No idea where that has gone...
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

On Monday I bit the bullet and ordered a Czur ET-24 overhead scanner. It arrived Yesterday.
20240320_141943.jpg
In one word - brilliant.

The spur to getting one was OneSwitch. :lol: He asked me if I would be interested in scanning a UK software catalogue for 1991. Can a duck swim? :shock:

When the catalogue arrived it was obvious that my normal scanner could not touch it. It had a hot glue binding and only 6mm margins into the binding, often less. Slicing off the binding was obviously out.

Four years ago I investigated the Czur ET-16 and found it severely lacking; the resolution was low, the page splitting was buggy and the quality of PDF output was poor. In essence it was an expensive toy.

Now the ET-24 is a different proposition. I tested it with OneSwitch's software catalogue, a really difficult job for any scanner. At about 400 pages the catalogue took a fair time to scan, not to say the least because of my inexperience. However, the upshot was that I was able to produce a searchable PDF of the whole book in about 20Mb. The scanner software was able to produce readable images of most of the book. Where it fell down was where I had difficulty reading right into the spine, so I can't blame it there. Check out the catalogue at the archive here .

Since then I have been testing the scanner and found the only thing it cannot handle is a glossy book, magazine or poster. Those I have to scan on the flatbed scanner.

I am also going to plug the distributers, D&H Innovations. They have been extremely helpful in providing lots of advice and were even willing to let me buy the scanner on approval, so to speak. If anyone else is thinking of getting a book scanner, try this - it works.

Oh, yes, the beer is essential to the function of the scanner. :lol: :wink:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
markusher

Post by markusher »

That's really interesting John. Thank you for sharing. Good result!
-Mark
2 x BBC, 1 Viglen BBC, M128, M512, M128+copro, 1 Master ET, BBC AIV Domesday System, E01S, E01, E20 Filestore, 3 x A4000, RISC PC 600,700, StrongArm. Probably more I've missed and all sorts of bits and pieces.

Return to “general”