Today I received.....

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
retroclinic

Today I received.....

Post by retroclinic »

....starting this topic here, as it's a popular one on a couple of other forums - just mention what Acorn (or other!) goodies you received in the mail today.

For me....
dc.jpg
dc.jpg (107.6 KiB) Viewed 134996 times
....now just need to find me a Flux Capacitor equipped DeLorean and make some time to build them.

Mark.
paulv

Re: Today I recieved.....

Post by paulv »

Mmmm. Datacentres! Looking good :D

Paul
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

I can defiantly see my name on that top one . . . :lol:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
CanonMan

Post by CanonMan »

daveejhitchins wrote:I can defiantly see my name on that top one . . . :lol:
The one next to it is mine, hopefully :wink: :lol:
Slo

Post by Slo »

Any will do for me please [-o<
peterj

Post by peterj »

Hi Mark.
oh-my.jpg
oh-my.jpg (30.55 KiB) Viewed 134964 times
Yes please.
Put me on the list.

Peter
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

So far, today, I have not received any interesting items. But yesterday I received my SPECTRA board (for ZX Spectrum) after an upgrade, from Paul after he found a way to improve it :-)
I'm hoping for some items from Mr Spow soon (he was away so could not despatch at the beginning of the week).
And of course, I'm after a new Datacentre, the money is ready...

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonb

Post by jonb »

Silly question... what is Datacentre, and which Acorn machines is it compatible with (I assume BBC, but how about Electron..)?

(Edit: Just checked out retroclinic's site, I see now. Nice...)
Garrettimus

Post by Garrettimus »

Awesome! I want one too, please, sir! :D
leenew

Post by leenew »

Me want data centre.
Me want data centre.
Me want data centre.
Me sell grandmother now. :lol:
nOmArch

Post by nOmArch »

Yay they're on their way!! My Master is going to be so happy :D

e2a: No new old bits today but just off to the sorting office to pick up a GTX460 and new PSU.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

"Todmorden, Lancashire" - controversial; I like it! Some people would have you believe it's in Yorkshire!

It's only about 15 miles from BeebMaster Towers - further confirmation that the North-West is the dynamo of Beebing!
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

BeebMaster wrote:"Todmorden, Lancashire" - controversial; I like it! Some people would have you believe it's in Yorkshire!

It's only about 15 miles from BeebMaster Towers - further confirmation that the North-West is the dynamo of Beebing!
Todmorden, I'm there now visiting my youngest daughter. She says (note: not me :lol: ) that it's defiantly in Yorkshire - NOW - with a Rochdale 'phone code :!: I now stand back - far back :lol: :lol:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Yes, and Oldham postcode!

The place is confused!!
Slo

Post by Slo »

Can you use the same datacentre and its rom on a beeb and a master or are there 2 different setups? Just curious as i would like to have one for both and if you can just swap it across it would be great news.
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

Hopefully I'm already on the list for one ... Christmas isn't that far away! :D
leenew

Post by leenew »

Hi Richard,
I am in the same position as you.
I HOPE I am on the list, but there appears to be no official list of people, or numbers of boards being produced yet.
Is it all being done on 'behind the scenes' private message? or do those of us who DEFINITELY want a datacentre (ME) need to make it more clear?
I have sold my grandmother by the way, so surely I move up the list? :lol:
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

....It's not a massive technological break-through or a wonderous new piece of software, but, today in the post I received..

... An RGB to SCART lead for my elk and wowsers does it make a difference to me! And for the Elk too - its the first time in almost thirty years she's had anything plugged into her RGB port ;)

Happy days.
nOmArch

Post by nOmArch »

leenew wrote:Hi Richard,
I am in the same position as you.
I HOPE I am on the list, but there appears to be no official list of people, or numbers of boards being produced yet.
Is it all being done on 'behind the scenes' private message? or do those of us who DEFINITELY want a datacentre (ME) need to make it more clear?
I have sold my grandmother by the way, so surely I move up the list? :lol:
I don't think Mark is taking official orders until the boards are actually built and available. So far there is an unofficial waiting list of sorts but the best thing to do is to express interest in the relevant threads or send Mark (retroclinic) a PM.

I'm sure once he has something concrete to tell us he'll let us know.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/
VincentVega

Post by VincentVega »

Nowhere near as desirable as a DataCentre (must stop drooling) I got some 6-core cable in the post today, courtesy of an eBay seller. I am very slowly getting together the bits to connect one of my Beebs to a modern monitor, using one of those GBS 8200/HD 9800 boards. I am also going to attempt to build 1024MAK's Atari ST composite mixer circuit on some strip-board so I can hook up my ST as well.

As it is a particularly boring item, I shall refrain from posting any photographs. It's black and round in cross-section and has six different colours inside it.

I am also waiting for a couple of other small bits and pieces (which are equally dull).

(I hereby declare my interest in obtaining a DataCentre. I have no grandmother to sell, unfortunately, so hopefully this will suffice as a way of signalling interest.)
CanonMan

Post by CanonMan »

Today I received this in the post: a part-built Chiptester project that I bought off eBay.

It comes with the software on floppy disk (fortunately the disk is still okay!) and a copy of the constructional articles from Practical Electronics.

Only cost me a couple of quid, and I can see myself actually using it, once I've finished building it :lol:

The only component I may struggle to find is the PCB-mounted rotary switch with DIL pins rather than in a circle. Anyone know if they're still available?
Attachments
100_3430.JPG
100_3430.JPG (745.97 KiB) Viewed 134757 times
100_3446.JPG
100_3446.JPG (927.85 KiB) Viewed 134757 times
100_3437.JPG
100_3437.JPG (639.43 KiB) Viewed 134757 times
martinw

Post by martinw »

A pristine BBC Master from CJE Micros.

It was my 45th last Tuesday so I thought I'd splash out on a Master (to cheer myself up over my old age :( ) as I don't have one.

I do have:
1 Atom
4 Model B's
1 Model B+
1 Electron
and now
1 Master (today)

So apart from all the different variations of each I now have a full set (sort of) of 8 bitters 8)

He advertised it as being in the original box and then sent it through to me in the original box, which shocked me a bit :shock: Luckily the box hadn't been abused by the courier too much :roll:

It really is immaculate, the PCB and ICs look brand new, do you think someone has started making them again in China? :lol:

Here are a couple of pictures .......
BBC Master.jpg
BBC Master.jpg (86.26 KiB) Viewed 134718 times
BBC Master Inside.jpg
BBC Master Inside.jpg (140.25 KiB) Viewed 134718 times
Very pleased, almost makes up for being middle aged ........ :cry:

Martin
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

Nice one Martin, happy birthday for last week! :D

I have to ask; what's the poor old book that's doing a sterling job under the double disk drive?

Stuart
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

martinw wrote: It was my 45th last Tuesday so I thought I'd splash out on a Master (to cheer myself up over my old age :( ) as I don't have one.

Martin
A cherry keyboard - nice once :-)

I've been after one of those for ages, but when they've come up on eBay I've had other demands being placed on my wallet :(
martinw

Post by martinw »

Thanks Stuart :), getting older does have some benefits I suppose, like having 9 computers in my office \:D/

Here's a picture of the books in question ......
Disk Drive Plinth.jpg
Disk Drive Plinth.jpg (82.74 KiB) Viewed 134682 times
I do have a design for a proper plinth that I hope to make eventually on my CNC machine, with owls down each side of it ....... when time permits :wink:
Disk Drive Plinth MKII.jpg
Disk Drive Plinth MKII.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 134682 times
Martin
martinw

Post by martinw »

TopBanana wrote:
A cherry keyboard - nice once :-)

I've been after one of those for ages, but when they've come up on eBay I've had other demands being placed on my wallet :(
I didn't know there were different ones, it does have a nice action though :shock:

I suppose it makes up for my Atom Issue 4 keyboard shenanigans http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... f=3&t=5526 :D

Martin
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

Thanks for the interest in DC guys, and to answer a few Qs:

- I've got a stack of Arcade board repairs still to complete, once done, I'll begin work on the DCs
- They are compatible with both B and Master 128 with no difference in setup, although the images for the CF card (ADFS) side are machine dependant, but that's only because of compatibilitiy with games, IE some B games don't run on a Master.
- On a Model B, it's best to use Sideways RAM and ADFS 1.32 for maximum compatibility with games on the CF, as ADFS 1.33 eats up too much main memory. For the USB side, the RamFS filing system for USB does not use any main mamory at all, so there are no compatibility issues
- There's no official wanted list, when I've got some ready, I'll put a post on the forums first to let members here have first chance at them, before they go on eBay.
- I'll be building External kits and refurbed Bs and Masters with them pre-installed. I don't plan on building any internal only kits, unless someone really wants one.
- Timescale will still be a good few weeks yet, as these arcade boards are taking a while to get through.

Mark.
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

martinw wrote:Thanks Stuart :), getting older does have some benefits I suppose, like having 9 computers in my office \:D/

Here's a picture of the books in question ......

I do have a design for a proper plinth that I hope to make eventually on my CNC machine, with owls down each side of it ....... when time permits :wink:

Martin

aha! thanks for sharing the books piccy; some good titles! i'm sorry for being nosey!!

The plinth looks pretty impressive! good luck with the project :)
VincentVega

Post by VincentVega »

Thanks for the information, Mark.

I was hoping for an internal kit, as it saves having another box on my desk, but if you're not planning on making any, then I'd be (more than) happy with an external one. Are there any practical differences between internal and external?
CanonMan

Post by CanonMan »

VincentVega wrote:Thanks for the information, Mark.

I was hoping for an internal kit, as it saves having another box on my desk, but if you're not planning on making any, then I'd be (more than) happy with an external one. Are there any practical differences between internal and external?
^^^ What he said :lol:

I may be asking a silly question here, but what's the difference between an internal kit and external kit, apart from the price, obviously?

My plan was to buy an internal kit and box it up myself. I can't really afford to buy one ready-cased. In fact, I can barely afford to buy one at all, but we won't go into that :lol:

Return to “general”