AMX Mouse Software

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
proteus075

Re: AMX Mouse Software Books

Post by proteus075 »

Yrrah2 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:23 pm
Dave C wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:28 pm Yrrah2,
I have purchased a SuperArt book. I also had in my collection PaintPot and ColourArt. I have not found the disk for ColourArt yet. It does a similar job to PaintPot.
Would they be of use on your WebSite.
Dave C
That looks great!!
The Paint Pot and Colour Art would indeed be a good addition to the rest. =D>
So if you can scan those would be GREAT!

I have a Super Art manual (did not had the time to scan and OCR it, going to be in october I think).
But would be nice to see if this manual is for different version of the software.
The version I have (for AMX V3.61) has a Section 4 called quick reference guide. There they exlpain the extra commands a user can use in their own programs. And at the total end they explain the Master version that uses 4 SWR banks.
The page counting goes up to 108 and after that, is the Master version explained in Appendix 1 and 2

Cheers

I am an administrator and manager in Italy of the PC128S Olivetti PRODEST (Italian clone of the acorn bbc master compact), my nick is proteus075

I congratulate you on the recovery work you have done, it was great for me and my group of collectors to try these unknown software, especially the AMX section.

I have created an adapter to be able to use the mouse in both TWO modes (classic and AMX mode) on the PC128S. I created the 16k EPROMs successfully!

I am writing an email to confirm the perfect compatibility of the AMX MOUSE with the PC128S thanks to the use of dedicated software (obviously a light hardware modification on the mother board is required for the signals of the RB MD LB buttons).

look at the attached photos and the video at the link ->

https://youtu.be/NDXekkDSGAg

I would be happy if you contact me privately to help complete our work!

PC128S MOUSE by proteus075
PC128S MOUSE by proteus075
converter cable "Y" (dual mode operation) - by proteus075
converter cable "Y" (dual mode operation) - by proteus075
LB and RB pin of 6522 rockwell chip on PC128S board
LB and RB pin of 6522 rockwell chip on PC128S board
my PC128S Olivetti PRODEST \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
tom_seddon

Re: AMX Mouse Software

Post by tom_seddon »

Found this while going through some stuff: Watford Page Fonts, not obviously already archived.

No idea how you use it, but I found a reference to it in a late 80s Watford advert - "PAGE-FONTS - Over 20 Fonts for use with AMX Pagemaker" - so this thread seems like the best place for it.

--Tom
IMG_0225.jpg
Attachments
WatfordPageFonts.zip
(22.52 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

tom_seddon wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:54 am Found this while going through some stuff: Watford Page Fonts, not obviously already archived.
Thanks, never noticed this advertised before. Found it in adverts in '87 as a freebie with purchases of Pagemaker.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

tom_seddon wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:54 am Found this while going through some stuff: Watford Page Fonts, not obviously already archived.

No idea how you use it, but I found a reference to it in a late 80s Watford advert - "PAGE-FONTS - Over 20 Fonts for use with AMX Pagemaker" - so this thread seems like the best place for it.

--Tom

IMG_0225.jpg
Thanks Tom! :D
I'll add this to my archive and site!
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Is there anywhere I can download AMX SuperArt pictures for my grandkids to colour in?
Dave C
BBC Master 512, Music 5000, Gotek Drive.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Dave C wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:42 pm Is there anywhere I can download AMX SuperArt pictures for my grandkids to colour in?
Dave C
For pictures to colour in try this.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Thanks Nigel I will give it a whirl.
I am looking for pics to colour in with the mouse also.
Dave C
BBC Master 512, Music 5000, Gotek Drive.
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

What you could try is to take colour in pictures from the web, convert them with the image converter and, load them on a disc to use with AMX art.
I did this a while back for my son with pictures from Miffy.
Worked quite well.
I can try if I have them somwhere if you want them.
Bet you can find Wallice and grommit pictures too :wink:
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

It's been requested I post this here. AMX SuperArt that works on the Compact with AMX mouse. No idea if it's different/unique/whatever.
I created the .ADF using !ADFFS under RISC OS. This was then zipped with SparkFS. (No idea how to make an .ADF on a beeb - I'm a RISC OS person!)
Attachments
AmxSAADF.zip
(80.7 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

IanJeffray wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:22 pm It's been requested I post this here. AMX SuperArt that works on the Compact with AMX mouse. No idea if it's different/unique/whatever.
I created the .ADF using !ADFFS under RISC OS. This was then zipped with SparkFS. (No idea how to make an .ADF on a beeb - I'm a RISC OS person!)
Thanks, though not quite the format our emulators expect, the sides need interleaving. Attached is the same disk image but interleaved in the usual .adl format.

This is a great find as it's a specific version for the Compact with ROM images 3.61C whereas the usual Master ROMs are 3.61M. The difference will likely be the different addressing of the mouse/joystick port. It works fine in MAME with Compact mouse emulation.

Unfortunately it's not an original floppy that's been imaged and appears to also contain personal image files, so we still need to look out for an original clean copy. At least we now know that it exists.
Attachments
AMXSuperArt-3.61C.zip
(88.66 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
- Nigel

IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Pernod wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:08 pm Thanks, though not quite the format our emulators expect, the sides need interleaving. Attached is the same disk image but interleaved in the usual .adl format.
Uh ok. I was asked for ADF :) Never even heard of ADL. How would I make one of those (on RISC OS, or on the Compact).
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

Nice addition to the collection!
They have made a version with a loading screen.
Can I add this to my site?

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
vela025

Post by vela025 »

I have couple of AMX related questions so thought here as good a place as any. In the Master Superart version attached above, when I import a font from the PageMaker fonts disc I get corrupted characters using the text tool in Superart...are there fonts that are AMX Superart specific? And is there a way to skip the intro to Pagemaker?
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect, RGB2HDMI, Twin 5 1/4" & GoTek, BeebSCSI, Retroclinic Datacentre (E), Oki Microline 280, Sony TCM-737, Miracle WS2000 Modem, WE Mouse. BeeBS BBS - http://beebs.ddns.net
tricky

Post by tricky »

Maybe not what you were looking for but my recent port of Missile Command viewtopic.php?p=361215#p361215 supports the AMX mouse. I'm also thinking about adding support to my version of Centipede.
vela025

Post by vela025 »

tricky wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:37 pmmy recent port of Missile Command viewtopic.php?p=361215#p361215 supports the AMX mouse.
Oh great work I'll check it out, I've always thought SimCity would be great with mouse support...hint...hint :wink:
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect, RGB2HDMI, Twin 5 1/4" & GoTek, BeebSCSI, Retroclinic Datacentre (E), Oki Microline 280, Sony TCM-737, Miracle WS2000 Modem, WE Mouse. BeeBS BBS - http://beebs.ddns.net
vela025

Post by vela025 »

vela025 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:02 pm I have couple of AMX related questions so thought here as good a place as any. In the Master Superart version attached above, when I import a font from the PageMaker fonts disc I get corrupted characters using the text tool in Superart...are there fonts that are AMX Superart specific? And is there a way to skip the intro to Pagemaker?
Semi found an answer to my own question, so posting here as reference for myself or if someone else has the same problem in the future. It seems AMX Superart fonts are not the same as AMX Pagemaker fonts, however the attached AMX Font Converter (from the Acorn TOSEC, but converted to a single DSD) allows the fonts to be converted to the Superart Font Format (using FONTCON) or three sets of Icons in a Superart Icon Format (using ICONFNT).
Yrrah2 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm Strangely enough is that the mouse support image that is used works perfect in BeebEm, but not on my Master.
When all loaded and typed *POINTER ON and giving a ctr+break, the machine hangs with only an option to enter a star command.
I was having *Pointer On issues but instead of a * hang it was reporting pointer off...despite doing ctrl + break, typing *pointer on and ctrl + brk again, which seemed to be only resolved by turning a co-pro on and off again for some reason. However using the Master Compact version of SuperArt in conjunction with the roms from a different version and updating the !Boot file to *SRLOAD those roms instead solved the problem for me.

With regard to skipping the Pagemaker Intro, I've made little progress however have noticed that if you go to the Processor window from the main menu and then select exit, it drops you back at the prompt briefly before chaining the main menu program again (CH."CONTROL") but this time without the loading screen, so it must be possible!
Attachments
fontcon.dsd
(132 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

vela025 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:10 pm
vela025 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:02 pm I have couple of AMX related questions so thought here as good a place as any. In the Master Superart version attached above, when I import a font from the PageMaker fonts disc I get corrupted characters using the text tool in Superart...are there fonts that are AMX Superart specific? And is there a way to skip the intro to Pagemaker?
Semi found an answer to my own question, so posting here as reference for myself or if someone else has the same problem in the future. It seems AMX Superart fonts are not the same as AMX Pagemaker fonts, however the attached AMX Font Converter (from the Acorn TOSEC, but converted to a single DSD) allows the fonts to be converted to the Superart Font Format (using FONTCON) or three sets of Icons in a Superart Icon Format (using ICONFNT).
A little late for a reply, but AMX had released the AMX EXTRA utils disc.
On that disc it is possible to convert a font from SuperArt to Pagemaker and vice versa.
Can be found on my site : http://mybbcmaster.nl/other_amx_mouse.html
There are also some other handy utils on that disc when using pagemaker.

vela025 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:10 pmI was having *Pointer On issues but instead of a * hang it was reporting pointer off...despite doing ctrl + break, typing *pointer on and ctrl + brk again, which seemed to be only resolved by turning a co-pro on and off again for some reason. However using the Master Compact version of SuperArt in conjunction with the roms from a different version and updating the !Boot file to *SRLOAD those roms instead solved the problem for me.
I tried the trick to enable and disable the co-pro after the *POINTER ON command, and after the CTR+BREAK it worked indeed.
But the next steps you describe, I don't quite follow.

EDIT : The EXTRA Utils disc has loads of fonts too

EDIT 2 : And for the QuestPaint users, the concerted fonts from PageMaker to Art will also work in QuestPaint

Cheers

Koen
Last edited by Yrrah2 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

tricky wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:37 pm Maybe not what you were looking for but my recent port of Missile Command viewtopic.php?p=361215#p361215 supports the AMX mouse. I'm also thinking about adding support to my version of Centipede.
NICE! :D :D
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Yrrah2 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:33 pm But the next steps you describe, I don't quite follow.
I bodged together a variety of different versions to create a (mostly) working Super Art disk for a real Master (fonts included), updating the boot file so that after *pointer on and ctrl + break there is no longer a "pointer is off" error. It doesn't load the boot screen, but could be re-enabled if wanted.

When you say EXTRA utilities, do you mean the ones on your website labelled EXTRA! Stop Press Utilities, or the one labelled AMX Utilities?
Attachments
AMXSuperArtMix.7z
(76.41 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

vela025 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:09 pm I bodged together a variety of different versions to create a (mostly) working Super Art disk for a real Master (fonts included), updating the boot file so that after *pointer on and ctrl + break there is no longer a "pointer is off" error. It doesn't load the boot screen, but could be re-enabled if wanted.
Thanks.
Just tried it but still gave an error :( :(
But I'll give it a more proper try.
vela025 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:09 pm When you say EXTRA utilities, do you mean the ones on your website labelled EXTRA! Stop Press Utilities, or the one labelled AMX Utilities?
Sry, I ment the 'EXTRA! STOP PRESS UTILITIES'
The program is called 'FONTCON'. You can run it without the PageMaker roms installed

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Yrrah2 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:30 pm Sry, I ment the 'EXTRA! STOP PRESS UTILITIES'
The program is called 'FONTCON'. You can run it without the PageMaker roms installed

Ah yeah that's the same program as I linked in the file above.

Sorry that image doesn't work for you, it's been the only way I've avoided the pointer off error, I've been using it for a few weeks now making 3 1/2" disk labels! :lol:
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

vela025 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:31 pm Ah yeah that's the same program as I linked in the file above.

Sorry that image doesn't work for you, it's been the only way I've avoided the pointer off error, I've been using it for a few weeks now making 3 1/2" disk labels! :lol:
Ahh if you have a nice template that I can use, would be nice :)

Well if you manage to get your hands on QuestPaint you never want to switch back :wink:
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Yrrah2 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:38 pm Well if you manage to get your hands on QuestPaint you never want to switch back :wink:
Haha I think that's just a pipe dream, I don't know how I'd ever manage to get a copy or Wapping editor for that matter!

I'll make an image of the template this evening.
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

vela025 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:47 pm Haha I think that's just a pipe dream, I don't know how I'd ever manage to get a copy or Wapping editor for that matter!

I'll make an image of the template this evening.
I can put the ROM dumps of QuestPaint and Wapping Editor on my site.
But you have to create (or find) a carrier board that can handle a 32k ROM.

EDIT : Better. The ROM dumps are already on my site. Including manuals and util discs
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Yeah, I've seen, it's a great resource.
Yrrah2 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:06 pm But you have to create (or find) a carrier board that can handle a 32k ROM.
This is the bit I will struggle with!
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Yrrah2 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:38 pm Ahh if you have a nice template that I can use, would be nice :)
Well I'm not sure' if they qualify as "nice" but here's a few templates; the page is set as AMX art (rather than A4) and they are printed on Low Quality (although the size may be the same on high quality, I've not tested that).

DSKACORN - Blank label with the Acorn Logo
DSKBLANK - Blank label with the Master Logo (was going to be the owl...but I couldn't draw it :oops: )
DKSDSD - Blank Label with sidebar to show DSD 400 Format
DSKM512 - Blank Label with Master logo and sidebar to show 512 Format
DSKMASTER - Blank label with Master Logo and sidebar
FLEET2 - The last label I made as an example for Fleet Street Editor

I have a patterns file which I fill the sidebar with for DSD SSD M512(DOS) and ADL640 but they don't come out very well when printed.
Attachments
Dsklab.7z
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

vela025 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:44 am Well I'm not sure' if they qualify as "nice" but here's a few templates; the page is set as AMX art (rather than A4) and they are printed on Low Quality (although the size may be the same on high quality, I've not tested that).

DSKACORN - Blank label with the Acorn Logo
DSKBLANK - Blank label with the Master Logo (was going to be the owl...but I couldn't draw it :oops: )
DKSDSD - Blank Label with sidebar to show DSD 400 Format
DSKM512 - Blank Label with Master logo and sidebar to show 512 Format
DSKMASTER - Blank label with Master Logo and sidebar
FLEET2 - The last label I made as an example for Fleet Street Editor

I have a patterns file which I fill the sidebar with for DSD SSD M512(DOS) and ADL640 but they don't come out very well when printed.
Nice!
When I print them the width is fine, but the hight is to long. Do you experience the same? Or is that a setting of my matrix printer?
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Yrrah2 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:26 pm When I print them the width is fine, but the hight is to long
Haha, I have the opposite problem and they are slightly too short on my printer by about 5mm.
back.jpg
Is your pitch set to 10?
Attachments
front.jpg
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

vela025 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:01 pm Haha, I have the opposite problem and they are slightly too short on my printer by about 5mm.
Wel you can make a bigger screen file and then you can extend it with 5mm.
vela025 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:01 pm Is your pitch set to 10?
Don't know. Have to find where I can set it. What is your pitch set to?

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Yrrah2 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:58 pm Don't know. Have to find where I can set it. What is your pitch set to?
I have my pitch set to 10.

In other news I thought you might be interested in this...
conquest.PNG

Return to “archive submissions”