Making Music on the BBC Computer by Ian Waugh

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
PitfallJones

Making Music on the BBC Computer by Ian Waugh

Post by PitfallJones »

Hi,

Making Music on the BBC Computer by Ian Waugh is my favorite BBC sound book - it's full of interesting topics.
MakingMusicOnTheBBC.jpg
MakingMusicOnTheBBC.jpg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
Anyway here's the disk that accompanies the book.

You won't have seen this before because there wasn't one - I typed them all in!
(a few years ago now, actually...)

Anyway there's literally loads of programs covering everything from sounds, chords, envelopes and music composition!

- PJ
making_music.zip
(28.39 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
paulv

Re: Making Music on the BBC Computer by Ian Waugh

Post by paulv »

Very Cool... Like the photo too :lol: 8)

Would you be OK with me putting the dsd file on my site for download to go with that photo? Obviously, I'd credit you with creating the dsd and link to your site too :D

Paul
PippUK

Post by PippUK »

Hi. I bought the book on eBay a while back. There are lots of useful programs, tutorial type chapters which build on knowledge from the previous chapters.
Thanks for the disk though. I had been procrastinating typing in the programs - Cheers.
I have been getting my head around the Acorn M5000 software recently, so I have not been tinkering with Basic sound programming much since then.
Peace - Pipp
PitfallJones

Post by PitfallJones »

Would you be OK with me putting the dsd file on my site for download to go with that photo? Obviously, I'd credit you with creating the dsd and link to your site too
You're Welcome to put the disk on your site, no need to link to my site and that's actually not my photo - I found it on the internet - looks just like the book I have though..

- PJ
paulv

Post by paulv »

and that's actually not my photo
I was referencing the fact that it's my photo :D :lol:

Paul
Advance

Post by Advance »

That cold is making you mean, Paul.
paulv

Post by paulv »

That cold is making you mean, Paul.
Mean? Never. Certainly there was no intent to cause offence I was just playing, hence all the smilies :D

Paul
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Is there a pdf of this book anywhere that someone could point me to? Alternatively does anyone have a copy of the book they could scan?
joachim

Post by joachim »

It's on archive.org https://archive.org/details/makingmusiconbbc0000waug, so you can browse it with a free account (or, if you're naughty, you can doubtless find a way to extract the page images).
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

It’s also on 8bs as a digital remaster.

http://8bs.com/othrdnld/manuals/publications.shtml
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Many thanks to you both. I first of all took Joachim's advice and registered so I could get borrow the book (at 30 minute intervals). The plan was to take screenshots at 6 or so pages a time rather than buy the book on ebay just in case I got bored. I then spotted Rob's mention of the pdf so have downloaded that (I'd visited 8bs a few days ago but somehow missed it). The book is actually very well written and I can see how Ian got the gig writing a regular column in The Micro User in the back half of 1987 (he also wrote some very helpful letters to readers' musical queries in earlier issues which no doubt helped). I remember Ian personally as he attended the same computer club as me back in the day. He was one of the older "boffins" who would chat away, probably about very technical stuff, whilst the young uns spent their time borrowing games from each other. This has also reminded me of something which will require further investigation, I'm sure Ian was asked to write some in-game music by one of the star programmers we had at the club, namely Gary Partis, Kevin Blake, Jason Sobell, Peter Scott or Peter Johnson but I can't remember for whom or for which game. I'll get my thinking cap on...
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Ian composed lots of in game music for Tynesoft games, including several titles by Jason and Kevin.

See the old Stairway to Hell music page to hear some examples - https://www.stairwaytohell.com/music
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Thanks Arcadian, saved me a job and I've also now found out the origin of the Daredevil Denis tune which is one of my favourites. I heard it on Classic FM a while ago whilst driving to work and it bugged me for about half an hour before I finally twigged that it was Daredevil Denis. Unfortunately, by this time I'd forgotten the name Hoffstetter so couldn't listen to the original again. But now I can.
greenonline

Post by greenonline »

I have found that on page 68, listing 5.2 (the pitch generator) is missing three procedure definitions: PROCAlterPit;
PROCFinalTimeCheck, and; PROCOvertime. The listing just ends at line 2350, in both the 1983 PDF on 8bs, and the 1984 version on archive.org.

The text under Program notes on page 70 refers to various lines ranging from 2490-2590, as well as referring to PROCAlterPit, PROCFinalTimeCheck, and; PROCOvertime, so clearly a number of lines are missing and the listing is truncated.

The saved copy of the listing is in file "PG5-2" in the making_music.zip file containing the DSD of the code. This saved copy is similarly incorrect, ending prematurely at line 2350.

In fact, the DSD version introduces another error, as it has changed line 2330 from caling PROCAlterPit to calling PROCAlter instead, which while it exists, is incorrect and is not a substitute for PROCAlterPit (even though they work similarly, but on amplitude and pitch respectively). As a side note, whist PitfallJones should be applauded for their work on the DSD image, it would be a good idea for the link to making_music.zip to be removed, the saved listing of 5.2 to be corrected, and then have the zIp file of DSD re-uploaded, as it is not a good idea to have incorrect source code floating around on the web (as it can cause endless headaches).

----

However, the missing lines can be found in a complete listing for program 5.2, on SIDE0.SSD which is included with the OCR scanned PDF on 8bs.com - Publications. The missing lines 2360-2670 are as follows:

Code: Select all

2370 DEF PROCAlterPit
2380 INPUT NewVal$:PRINTTAB(0,2)SPC(6)
2390 IF NewVal$="" PROCReset: PROCPrintEnv:ENDPROC
2400 NewVal=EVAL(NewVal$)
2410 PRINTTAB(30,0)SPC(20)
2420 ON (Input-32) GOTO 2430,2440,2450,2460,2470,2480
2430 PI1=NewVal:ENDPROC
2440 PI2=NewVal:ENDPROC
2450 PI3=NewVal:ENDPROC
2460 PN1=NewVal:ENDPROC
2470 PN2=NewVal:ENDPROC
2480 PN3=NewVal:ENDPROC
2490 ENDPROC
2510 DEF PROCPitchEnv
2520 Time=0
2530 YScale=3
2540 MOVE 0,Pitch*YScale
2550 REPEAT
2560 Pitch=Pit1
2570 PROCP(PI1, PN1)
2580 PROCP(PI2, PN2)
2590 PROCP(PI3, PN3)
2600 UNTIL FTime OR T1>127
2610 ENDPROC
2630 DEF PROCFinalTimeCheck
2640 FTime=FALSE
2650 IF Time>Duration*5 Time=Duration*5:FTime=TRUE
2660 ENDPROC
Nevertheless, these lines also contain an error, which can be fixed with these two lines:

2420 ON (Input-32) GOTO 2430,2440,2450,2460,2470,2480,2485
2485 Pit1=NewVal:ENDPROC
Note that the OCR scanned PDF, on 8bs.com, also has two addtional OCR induced errors, which are fixed with these two lines:

150 IF Input$="C" PROCAxis:PROCAxis2
2310 IF Input=39 p=1
These two lines are displayed correctly in the bitmap scanned PDF on archive.org.

In fact, it has to be said that the "digitally remastered" OCR scanned PDF on 8bs.com is literally riddled with OCR induced errors/typos, and that almost every line should be taken with a pinch of salt... or least cross-checked with the bitmap scan of the later copy on archive.org.

--------------

FWIW, and for full disclosure, I have also written about this omission in my blog, Making music on the BBC computer - Errata. I have also uploaded the correct listings, and missing lines, from the book to Github: greenonline/Making-music-on-the-BBC-computer
keyscompany

Post by keyscompany »

Thanks for this and sorry for being so slow to reply but it turns out I couldn't have helped. My code for 5.2 contains the line:
2400 REM Some code missing!
So I must have just given up and moved on. I might go back and fix it now. Thanks again.
chrissawer

Post by chrissawer »

Interesting short video about the book "How My Arm Was Twisted Into Writing A Computer Music Book In The 1980s" on Ian Waugh's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9kRMSovTco

Also a longer video of interest "10 BBC Computer Game Tunes I Wrote But Don't Remember Writing": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Vn3_7VzuY

Return to “archive submissions”