BeebUG Magazines

This is where we keep track of who is scanning what, so we can avoid duplicating work and also define conventions/standards etc
Moderators: DaveH, andrew_rowland, Dave_E, bfoley, sabre150, Moderators
TopBanana

BeebUG Magazines

Post by TopBanana »

Thanks to SirMorris who gave away some spare BeebUG magazines before Christmas I've been able to start scanning duplicate BeebUG magazines with the intention of making them available to anyone who wants to read them.

Unfortunately the copier I have access to only does B&W scans, but they are passable, and certainly readable pdf files. The best part is that the scans don't have that damp musty smell so you can take these to bed and read them on your iPad without the Mrs complaining about the pong :lol:

I've checked each scan and they are all complete, with the pages in order so please feel free to download them from the Dropbox links below. I have approximately 20 more duplicates and will add them as and when I get them time and access to the copier.

If anyone wants to donate any more magazines they have spare I'm happy to scan them and put them up in my Dropbox as time permits. Note however, this is a destructive process, the magazines get cropped in half so they go through the copier. Would be nice if we could get more of these available to everyone, so if you are feeling generous and want to contribute to the community ....... :D

** updated April 6th 2012 **

All Magazines
Last edited by TopBanana on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
AndyF

Re: BeebUG Magazines

Post by AndyF »

Thank you. :)
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

This is great.

Just wondering. Is there any database or something where all issues are named, with short description. (Not the whole articles, but only the title and headers)

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

Andy, if you're coming my way you'd be welcome to the ones I have - and I have a lot! As well as all the other Magazines I've got stashed around, they've been here for ages gathering dust, so if you want to make use of them, they're yours. A good couple of full boxes too in the "granny" storage area :lol:

Mark.
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

Yrrah2 wrote:
This is great.

Just wondering. Is there any database or something where all issues are named, with short description. (Not the whole articles, but only the title and headers)

Cheers
There is supposed to be a community project doing all sorts of wonderful things with volumes 1 - 11 of the BeebUG magazines, which have apparently been scanned, but as far as I'm aware, in the 2 or 3 years it's been underway nothing has been produced that can actually be downloaded and read by anyone other than the owners of the scans :shock: :(
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

retroclinic wrote:Andy, if you're coming my way you'd be welcome to the ones I have - and I have a lot! As well as all the other Magazines I've got stashed around, they've been here for ages gathering dust, so if you want to make use of them, they're yours. A good couple of full boxes too in the "granny" storage area :lol:

Mark.
Hello Mark,

That would be great if you're happy to let them go knowing that they will be chopped in half :( And knowing that they are stored in your Spanish storage facility means they won't smell of damp shed :lol:

I'll be up and down the A12 at various times this week so hopefully will be able to pop in :-)

Cheers

Andy

:D
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

There is supposed to be a community project doing all sorts of wonderful things with volumes 1 - 11 of the BeebUG magazines, which have apparently been scanned, but as far as I'm aware, in the 2 or 3 years it's been underway nothing has been produced that can actually be downloaded and read by anyone other than the owners of the scans :shock: :([/quote]Hmmm... I can have a look at it. And if wanted I could make a database on-line, where we all can add magazine topics.
So this would give a catalogue of the beebug issue's. (like a wikipedia sort of thing, but then different :wink: )

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

TopBanana wrote:There is supposed to be a community project doing all sorts of wonderful things with volumes 1 - 11 of the BeebUG magazines, which have apparently been scanned, but as far as I'm aware, in the 2 or 3 years it's been underway nothing has been produced that can actually be downloaded and read by anyone other than the owners of the scans :shock: :(
Hmmm... I can have a look at it. And if wanted I could make a database on-line, where we all can add magazine topics.
So this would give a catalogue of the beebug issue's. (like a wikipedia sort of thing, but then different :wink: )

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

I think for the moment we ought to leave the database to the guys who have said they would produce it. Perhaps after I've scanned everything I have (and collect from Mark) and there's if there's still no progress from the official project we could make that the next step.

These scans really ought to live on www.bbcdocs.com but the stuff I submitted 4 months ago still hasn't been made available so they can live on dropbox until someone wants to put them there.
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

I think for the moment we ought to leave the database to the guys who have said they would produce it.
Ok. Good idea.
Well some projects take more time then we wanted (looking at myself :roll: :oops: :oops: )
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
PitfallJones

Re: BeebUG Magazines - Contents Database

Post by PitfallJones »

I was going to dig out my own modest collection and photo the covers - but then remembered 8BS have the cover scans for all the BeebUG issues here:

http://8bs.com/beebugmags.htm

Most of the earlier mags have the contents on the front cover.

- PJ
beebug.jpg
beebug.jpg (525.34 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
Advance

Post by Advance »

Thanks very much for your contribution, TopBanana, I thoroughly enjoying working my way through these and basically I want more. It would be great if the collection mentioned above could be made available - there's a wealth of great information there.
I have a sort of "sampler" of the mag from bitd but these are the first real ones I've read.
One item which really interested me started on page 21 of Vol 4 iss 1 (May 1985) but sadly pages 22 and 23 are missing.
Any chance that these pages were just overlooked and you actually have them???
Hugh
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

Hello Hugh,

Obviously quality control had a bad day when I scanned Vol4 Iss1 :( :lol:

And there I was thinking anyone can count ....... obviously not me #-o :lol:

I'm presuming I still have the pages as I haven't thrown anything away, so I'll re-scan and re-post that issue.

Andy

:D
Advance

Post by Advance »

You are a gentleman, sir.
Actually, I feel a bit guilty about raising such a small niggle but I am very keen to read the review of Floppywise. Your post was a real find for me and shows how Stardot can open up new areas of interest.
I've got the discs/mags of Electron User, Micro User and so on but never saw a full copy of Beebug bitd and I really like it.
Pity there hasn't been more progress on getting the rest of the issues into the public domain.
Thanks again. a couple of pages missed in the hundreds you scanned wasn't bad going.
Hugh
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

Hugh,

Missing pages attached - a quick scan on Mrs TopBanana's scanner :-)

I'll integrate these into the proper PDF at some point.

If there are any other pages missing please let me know.

Andy
Attachments
Missing Pages V4I1 22 23.zip
(806.04 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Advance

Post by Advance »

Thanks a lot Andy, and pass on my gratitude to Mrs. TopB.
I see three others got to the download before me. Sadly, Floppywise was damned with faint praise.
Hugh
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

Volume 4 Issue 1 has been rescanned and is now complete.

I should uploading another 10 issues later this evening, I'm not sure how many issues are in each volume, but I have scanned issues 1 - 10 of volume 2.

I must also say thanks to Mark Haysman - I collected a whole bunch from him last weekend that I haven't gone through yet, but will start scanning this week.
Slo

Post by Slo »

Excellent more beebugs from 1 person in 1 or 2 goes than a whole mini community in 2/3 years I like it =D>

Thanks for the updates TopBanana

I have a full binder of these myself although i have no idea which they are.
Advance

Post by Advance »

Excellent news, Andy. I didn't expect more so you've made my weekend. It's amazing how much reading these provide. Roll on the next batch.
Hugh
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

OK, jump back to the top of the thread for the next batch.

I've checked my complete set of magazines and Volume 2 does have 10 issues, so it's now complete :D

I'm going to go through Mark's contribution and start scanning by volume, so hopefully we'll have a complete Volume 1, then Volume 2 etc etc . Perhaps I should have been more organised when I started this ..... :oops: :lol:

For those who download them, please help me to error check them, if there are any missing pages please let me know ASAP and I'll get them added.
Advance

Post by Advance »

Many thanks once again, Andy. Your hard work is very much appreciated.
Hugh
PitfallJones

Post by PitfallJones »

I'm having a lot of fun reading these on my laptop

- much easier than getting the real ones out of the shed.

Thanks

- PJ
matelot

Post by matelot »

what am I doing wrong?
when I double click the link of any of the books I get

transfering data from dl dropbox.com

in the bottom corner of an otherwise blank screen.

after about 15 secs the small box disappears leaving a blank page.
I did get the page once but I don't know what I did different.

:?: Bob
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I'm using Firefox and have no problems :D
Left click and it loads and opens the pdf in the browser, or right click and save it to hard disk to read later.

Mark K.
matelot

Post by matelot »

thank you Mark. I have no idea what I was doing different to tonight but everything works fine now. :?
Is it possible to get a virus that prevents some things happening on occasion and clears at a later date?
I am sure I get different problems happening at different times.
I am getting on so I concede it could be age :oops:
any way thanks for the reply,
Bob.
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

Since I now have mainly complete volumes I've started scanning by volume (as opposed whatever was on the top of the pile !), so if you pop back up to the top of the post to the first message you will see that volumes 1 - 4 have been made available as single zip files.

Just a couple of things to note at this stage

* I thought I had issue Vol 1 Iss 1 but when I went to scan the magazines last night it turns out I didn't - :evil: :oops: - how annoying !

* Vol 4 Iss 10 got cropped a bit close so some pages have a few missing letters, I'll rescan this when I do the next batch.

When you are reading the scans if you find any pages missing or duplicated please PM me the details and I'll address the issue - when quickly checking all the pages are present you tend to go a bit "blind" after a while :oops:
Advance

Post by Advance »

Huge thanks once again Andy. There must be a least a knighthood in the pipeline for you by now. I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms so these have come in the nick of time.

@Matelot,
I found the downloading of a lot of the first mags was very erratic and tried Chrome, Firefox and even IE none of which made any difference. Then, the next time I tried, everything would be fine although never a fast download. Perhaps it is just a traffic issue with dropbox.com

EDIT:
Just downloading the new releases now and they are very slow - but well worth the wait.
Hugh
flibble

Post by flibble »

Hello Mr Banana, are you still after the magazines for scanning? I've a big shoebox full of BeeBug and can have a look through to see if there's any you've not got?

Oh, I also have another box full of RiscUser too if you get bored once you've finished the Beebug :lol:
vztfzc

Post by vztfzc »

I would just like to say a big thank you for this. I do enjoy reading all the old BBC magazines and it is always illuminating to find out how much I have forgotten and how much I thought I knew.

Regards
Paul
mga1103

Post by mga1103 »

Another big thank you from moi! These are a great resource to have scanned. You really deserve huge credit for taking on this task - a serious commitment!

Well done, sir! =D>

-Martin.

Return to “coordination of magazine scanning projects”