Games you finished?

the place for discussing bbc micro & electron software, emulators, hardware and other issues
Moist Mog

Games you finished?

Post by Moist Mog »

Hi all,<br>
<br>
I've got a BBC I still use, and I could count the number of games I actually finished on the fingers of one hand. OK, so there were a number that couldn't be completed as they just kept getting harder endlessly, but of those that were I finished the original Repton and a couple of text adventures...<br>
<br>
I'd be interested to hear of any others people have completed (excluding the use of cheat modes!)...

<p></p><i></i>
Gareth3377

Re: Games you finished?

Post by Gareth3377 »

Hi,<br>
<br>
Well, the games I completed on my trusty Electron were few and far between, but I managed (with the help of friends) to complete Stryker's Run, Citadel, Palace of Magic.<br>
<br>
I wish I could have completed Repton 2, but as far as I know, nobody completed this game. <br>
<br>
I have also managed to complete Star Force 7 and Sphinx Adventure. <br>
<br>
What I do want to know is what happened when you got the cheese at the end of Moustrap (Tynesoft).<br>
<br>
Cheers

<p></p><i></i>
melchett

Post by melchett »

I remember completing Citadel (and what a delight that was), the original Repton, The Hobbit, Imogen, Sentinal, Snowball, Sabre Wulf, most of those Scott Adams adventures and the Lords of Time. Oh and Omega Orb too, which I loved at the time - can't remember any of the "console" commands now. I think there were some others, mostly adventures, that I can't remember right now.<br>
<br>
I also spent ages trying to complete Repton 2 but in 2004 hindsight I start to wonder if I had one of those versions that was impossible to complete? I also remember getting stuck in Thunderstruck 2 (bug in the game?) that drove me up the wall as, according to my hastily scrawled map, I felt I was very, very near the end. Oh and Strykers Run - that game just went on and on and on - I wonder how long you've have to play that in one sitting to complete it?<br>
<br>
Think I got fairly close with (Escape from?) Enthar 7 too which was just brilliant. And I only made Deadly on Elite before my attention span being reached - I still wonder how close my Elite rating was back then...<br>
<br>
I also wonder whether anyone who owned a Beeb particularly enjoyed playing any of the Jet Set Willy games and carried on to complete them? I think they were a fantastic technical achievement getting a game designed to run in 48K to run on a 32K beeb, but it always seemed nigh impossible to me? I always wanted to play it on the Beeb as a kid and then when it was finally released I was just a bit disappointed... huge game that I could only ever dabble in before losing all my lives.

<p></p><i></i>
Gareth3377

Post by Gareth3377 »

'Lo<br>
<br>
Stryker's Run was actually quite a short game - it could be completed in an hour or so (but was very repetitive despite the excellent graphics).<br>
<br>
I too only made it to deadly in Elite, but my save game corrupted and I had to start again. By that time I felt I was more or less Elite anyway and without the missions (Electron version) I felt I had accomplished what I needed to do with that version (I had moved on to the Spectrum version by then - which despite having more to the game - missions, suns etc. - never had the charm of my Elk version).<br>
<br>
I too also completed some of the Mysterious Adventures - Arrow of Death Pt 1, Circus, Waxworks, Time Machine and Escape from Pulasr 7.<br>
<br>
Fond memories indeed<br>
<br>
And still don't know what happens when you get the cheese at the end of Mousetrap.<br>

<p></p><i></i>
dandelionburdock

only a handful

Post by dandelionburdock »

Stryker's Run<br>
Thunderstruck<br>
Citadel<br>
Repton 1<br>
<br>
All of which had incredibly disappointing text screen endings.

<p></p><i></i>
Moist Mog

Stryker's Run/ Repton 2

Post by Moist Mog »

How did you manage to finish it?<br>
<br>
I used to get to the first helicopter and then you'd pretty much be in the air all the time... until you eventually ran out of fuel in about the 4th aircraft.<br>
<br>
Then the enemies could shoot twice as far as you and you'd be dead in seconds.<br>
<br>
Was there some way of making the aircraft use less fuel...? I did get to the end eventually by cheating...<br>
<br>
I think there were some versions of Repton 2 that were impossible... you had to collect every square of earth to win and I seem to remember there was one you couldn't get. Funny thing is, none of the individual screens were that hard... it was just stringing it all together.

<p></p><i></i>
Jeremy Grayson

Games you finished?

Post by Jeremy Grayson »

Hiya,<br>
<br>
The only games I remember having finished completely legally were IMOGEN (Micropower) and WEBWAR (Artic); the former you probably know all about, the latter was a lightning-fast 256-screen Tempest clone which was Artic's first and only half-decent game for the Beeb.<br>
<br>
I've still got the Imogen congratulatory message written down somewhere, so I'll try to dig it up from somewhere. In common with other ends of games, there were just a few lines of text at the end. Woo.<br>
<br>
I finished OMEGA ORB, NETWORK, PANDEMONIUM, THUNDERSTRUCK, LAST OF THE FREE (bit of a Peter Scott thing going on here) CITADEL and SPELLBINDER with the help of one of Impact Posters' helpsheets and maps, and nailed a few others with pokes, but obviously I don't expect any of those count.<br>
<br>
Jeremy<br>

<p></p><i></i>
Gareth3377

Post by Gareth3377 »

I never finished Spellbinder - it was a might tough game (even with the hintsheet - sorry solution lol).<br>
<br>
I never played web war on the account that bugger never loaded on my Electron (still, exchanged it for Star Drifter - which is an ace game).<br>
<br>
BTW has anybody completed Star Drifter?<br>
<br>
Cheers.<br>

<p></p><i></i>
AJW99

Thunderstruck2

Post by AJW99 »

Melchett - I finished Thunderstruck 2 recently. The Micro User solution is incomplete and the map slightly wrong. Also you have to use the cards in the correct order otherwise it's impossible.<br>
Network was extremely hard. Did anybody every finish Predator?

<p></p><i></i>

Return to “general”