Galaxias - BBC Conversion

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
AndyF

Galaxias - BBC Conversion

Post by AndyF »

Coming even sooner :D , I have posted this up on the RetroSoftware forum but here may generate more response :P

Its a lot "further down the line", so to speak than those pics show, its actually complete (I hope!) and working properly as far as I can tell ;)

Pics were from an earlier build when it started to come together enough to actually work. There might still be the odd bug / typo present but then again most released software had / has these.

I found the original author and have mailed them to see if they would have any objections to such conversions. I hope not as I'm looking forward to releasing it, naturally free.

EDIT...For those not aware, this fun adventure game was only ever released on the Spectrum.

Edited thread title, not other changes
Last edited by AndyF on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!
nOmArch

Re: Galaxias

Post by nOmArch »

Great stuff, hope you get something positive back from the author.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

The author has kindly permitted this. Many thanks Fergus. :)

Please consider this one a Release Candidate, I may update it slightly but it should be fine:
GalaxiasB27.zip
(16.27 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
The B number refers to the build so I know if I have to update it which one.

Bear in mind, this is my first attempt and first project. ;)
Last edited by AndyF on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!
Advance

Post by Advance »

Congratulations Andy, a great piece of work. I must admit I hadn't heard of this adventure so I'll look forward to trying to solve it.

Hugh
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Thank you for your kind comments. :) , It was not *that* bad to do although the ID's I had to manually change then constantly cross reference as they were not identical on a 'B vs a Spectrum. All good fun (and headaches!) =D>

As a quick note: One thing that is (purposely) missing is save / load as they were tape routines, I will try to add them as disc but as its about 'OK' as it I figured most people would be using an emulator so not an issue to do a save state.

Its not a difficult game although as usual there are a few traps for the unwary. I did actually think I'd missed a few things out after trying it with a solution but no its quite possible and originally intended to be completable without doing all the 'extra' stuff but exploring is part of the fun anyways. :)

I also have something else in progress but that's a while off. More about that another time and another topic.
Andy

AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Thanks for topic move :)
Last edited by AndyF on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Advance

Post by Advance »

Being greedy, I have to say that a disk save option would be nice. Emulators are invaluable but you can beat the feel of the real thing.

Hugh
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Nice adventure Andy, i've played it a bit! 8)

I got to a bit that said, i think (if i mind rightly), N unknown, S unknown, E unkown W unkown, then hung. You mensioned it was a 'Beta'/build, so hopefully the wrong spelling of 'unknown' helps :P
ImageImageImage
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

I'll take a look at that later. :)

I did have it lock up on me once although it never did it again (same location / actions etc)

If you can recall roughly where you were at the time ( in the game that is :D ) that would help a bit.

I may add the quill database source though too if required.
Andy

AndyF

Post by AndyF »

CMcDougall wrote:Nice adventure Andy, i've played it a bit! 8)

I got to a bit that said, i think (if i mind rightly), N unknown, S unknown, E unkown W unkown, then hung. You mensioned it was a 'Beta'/build, so hopefully the wrong spelling of 'unknown' helps :P
Fixed :)
Andy

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

AndyF wrote:Fixed :)
good man =D>

maybe put a new link on here for the lazy peeps (like me nowadays!) 8)

EDIT: just noticed new linky above #-o

:wink:
ImageImageImage
videofx

Re: Galaxias - BBC Conversion

Post by videofx »

I will download and give it a try! :)

Cheers!
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Not many downloads :oops: , and even less for ProjectX (that took longer to build too) :D

For those who have not seen it, a page of work is here > http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/wiki/index.php/SGAP , thanks to Samwise for building the page for me. I'll update it as and when I can. Urban Upstart is next obviously, as soon as I can find time.
Andy

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Andy,

The snappier link is:

http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/SGAP

:)

You could try promoting your games over on the forums at http://www.solutionarchive.com/ - they enjoy playing adventures on old systems like the beeb.

Sam.

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”