Zip Files

the place for discussing bbc micro & electron software, emulators, hardware and other issues
sjstimer

Zip Files

Post by sjstimer »

Since most of the files in this archive are in zip format does anyone know of a utility that will allow you to unzip files and run them in an emulator like beebem then zip them back again when you finished.<br>
<br>
Gamebase does just this for c64 games, just wondering if there is anything similar for bbcb.<br>
<br>
Many Thanks.<br>
<br>
sjstimer.

<p></p><i></i>
darkcircles

zips

Post by darkcircles »

extract the file (usually .ssd) from the .zip then use this in the emulator. You can dispose of the original .zip file if you like.

<p></p><i></i>
tartartar

Re: zips

Post by tartartar »

But sjstimer has a point - very many emulators for other systems can automatically read .zip files. Very useful. Why should Beeb/Leccy emulators have less functionality than this?<br>

<p></p><i></i>
sjstimer

re:

Post by sjstimer »

I have thousands of emulator files in zip files mostly downloaded from this site and to unzip them then run beebem the finish and rezip them it is very laborius and I was wondering if like the gamebase for the c64 if there is a utility that will unzip the zip files load beebem then rezip them when you finish.<br>
<br>
I had such a utility for beebem but I lost everything after my computer got a virus.<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
Fraser

compression

Post by Fraser »

UEF files (mainly tapes) are compressed in the gzip format which is more suitable than the archiving zip format. I think theres a newer format that achieves more compression than gzip. This type of compression is preferable if disk images are going to be compressed differently.

<p></p><i></i>
mattforbes

compression

Post by mattforbes »

Personally, I just download the lot, use a utility like PicoZip to unzip the lot in one go, and just leave the files in their ssd/dsd/whatever format. The whole lot (tape and disk images) eats only 70-odd Mb of disk space on my hard drive (like - wow). <br>
<br>
Much easier than unzipping and rezipping every time I fancy a swift game of Egg. Obviously, if BeebEm does incorporate an on-the-fly zip/unzip facility, then I may reconsider storing my files as zips, but for the meantime, the drive space overhead is too small to worry about.<br>
<br>
HTH<br>
<br>
M

<p></p><i></i>
melchett

Re:Compressoin

Post by melchett »

Out of curiosity, how do you download the entire archive? Were you just clicking on each of the files over the course of a day or have I missed a zip file that contains them all somewhere?

<p></p><i></i>

Return to “general”