Acorn User Scanning project

This is where we keep track of who is scanning what, so we can avoid duplicating work and also define conventions/standards etc
Moderators: DaveH, andrew_rowland, Dave_E, bfoley, sabre150, Moderators
MatthewThompson

Acorn User Scanning project

Post by MatthewThompson »

I thought I would post an update on what i've been doing.

As most of you will know Dave Edwards (Dave_E) scanned in issues of Acorn User 1-125 and was finished with
scanning Acorn User, seeing as I have the complete run of magazines I decided to take over and carry on this mammoth
task of completing the Acorn User scanning project.

For some reason I decided to start at the last issue and work backwards (I think because the issues are smaller) but so
far I am pleased to say I have successfully scanned in issues 193-267 so progress is going very well.

The plan is that when they are completed they will all be sent to Dave and he will add them to his existing range so that
a complete run of Acorn User magazines are available digitally and will be preserved and not lost.

It's been hard work but I think it's worth it .
Arcadian
Site Admin

Re: Acorn User Scanning project

Post by Arcadian »

Flaming 'eck, that's tremendous news Matthew!

Well done and congrats! =D>
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
paulv

Post by paulv »

Wow, that's a lot of patience you've got there! =D>

How long have you been scanning them for? Is it every page including adverts?

Paul
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

It's been hard work and massively tedious and annoying at times, but i've persisted with it and am finally getting there, been a lot of re-scans, due to bits on the page, dog hairs and wonky pages.

The project will be completed , as and when is another matter though. Will keep it updated on here as and when.

cheers
Matthew
mga1103

Post by mga1103 »

Super work! Congrats on you perseverance! =D>

(Damn, it looks like I bought my DVD sets from Dave_E just a little too early! :twisted: ).
cjr8bs

Post by cjr8bs »

There are volunteers over at 8BS scanning them too. A little like re-inventing the wheel I suppose, but the results are there for all to download free.

Volunteers to help there welcome. There is an upload directory contact me if you want to help.

http://8bs.com/aumags.htm

Chris
I Maintain the 8 Bit Software (8BS) website and have mucked about with Acorn 8 bit machines from the off. Writing software and editing disc based magazines and other stuff like that. I have a personal website too chrisr.co.uk
Room5

Post by Room5 »

If you haven't already seen it, there's a growing collection of old computer magazines on archive.org

http://archive.org/details/computermagazines

If appropriate, perhaps output from our community's projects could be contributed to that. They certainly have the space/infrastructure in place to take huge volumes and have mechanisms to automatically transcode them into numerous different formats including quite a snazzy online reader.

It's curated by Jason Scott (jason@textfiles.com)

Cheers,
Simon.
trevj

Post by trevj »

Room5 wrote:growing collection of old computer magazines on archive.org
Yes, I spotted that a while ago too. Sounds like a good idea to me. Original/existing scanning projects could co-exist with mirrored content at archive.org. This would act as a safety net, while also drawing attention to other vintage resources.
cjr8bs

Post by cjr8bs »

Update on the 8BS archive of these magazines in PDF format.

Available for download:
All from 1982 to 1990
1991 Jan, Feb, Apr
1992 Apr, Oct, Dec
1993 Apr, then Aug to December
1994 Jan, Mar to Jul, Sep
1995 Mar to Jun, Jul to Dec
All from 1996 to 1998

Promised and due to be available shortly:
1999 to 2002
2003 Apr, Jul

That leaves a total of 43 magazines still required.

Any volunteers?

http://8bs.com/aumags.htm

Magazines with 'Wanted' beneath the thumbnail are the ones we need help with.

Thanks to all those who have helped so far.
I Maintain the 8 Bit Software (8BS) website and have mucked about with Acorn 8 bit machines from the off. Writing software and editing disc based magazines and other stuff like that. I have a personal website too chrisr.co.uk
cjr8bs

Post by cjr8bs »

Update on the 8BS Acorn User Scanning

We now have all of the Acorn Users scanned and downloadable apart from the following seven. If anyone has these and wants to help out, please contact me:

145 147 148 149 150 151 152
flibble

Post by flibble »

cjr8bs wrote:Apart from the following seven. If anyone has these and wants to help out, please contact me:

145 147 148 149 150 151 152
To let you know, I've found these in the copies at my parents house, and would be happy to post them to someone for scanning. PM me if interested?

Return to “coordination of magazine scanning projects”