The Hobbit with Graphics under Emulation

the place for discussing bbc micro & electron software, emulators, hardware and other issues
melchett

The Hobbit with Graphics under Emulation

Post by melchett »

Hi,<br>
<br>
I suspect this has been asked many times before but...<br>
<br>
...does anyone out there know how to get the disk version of the The Hobbit that comes with graphics to work on a BBC B/B+/Master emulator? I've tried just about everything I can thing but still with no success...

<p></p><i></i>
AJW

none

Post by AJW »

I only discovered recently that there was a disc version with graphics for the Beeb. I don't think the original files have been provided with that version just a prepared disc image but the game expects you to prepare the disc yourself which may be difficult on emulators.

<p></p><i></i>
AJW

none

Post by AJW »

Melchett - try this:<br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.lysator.liu.se/tolkien-games ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

<p></p><i></i>
melchett

Re:The Hobbit with Graphics under Emulation

Post by melchett »

Hi AJW,<br>
<br>
I've been spending some time playing around with the various emulators and it would appear that the only one that will actually display the graphics is PCBBC, and then only if you use the 8271 Acorn DFS version 0.9. <br>
<br>
I think this is a shame as, as far as I am aware, I don't think PCBBC is being maintained anymore and a friend of mine had trouble contacting Stuart McConnachie when he wanted to buy a copy (no reply to emails). PCBBC still gives I believe the best Model B emulation out there although the interface is getting quite dated.<br>
<br>
Not sure what the problem is with the other emulators not being able to support The Hobbit (B-Em crashes!) but I would guess it's incomplete emulation of the 8271/1770 chips?<br>
<br>
Thanks for the link btw although the images seem to be the same as the one's archived on STH as I can now get the graphics to load from both. The graphics themselves are very good and certainly add some atmosphere to the original game and I'm quite pleased to have finally seen them.

<p></p><i></i>
AJW

none

Post by AJW »

Glad you've got them to work. With a bit of help I've eventually seen them as well. The problem for me was setting the picture disc to write.<br>
I've only recently found out that there was a graphics version for the BBC as the version I bought had a leaflet saying that graphics would require '19K of memory which is clearly not available' so it was a pleasant surprise.<br>
I agree they're very good graphics and possibly better than what I remember of the C64 version.

<p></p><i></i>

Return to “general”