Repton: The Lost Realms review requested for DnD

billcarr2005

Re: Repton: The Lost Realms review requested for DnD

Post by billcarr2005 »

Destroid wrote: Is there any chance someone could make maps for these like with the older Repton games on Stairway to hell?
Yes, after completing the first set of levels, I had a go - but as per Kecske's request, i'll hold onto them for now!
Kecske Bak wrote: Personally I'd rather people didn't post maps and edit codes for a while ...
The whole point is supposed to be working out the screens for yourself, after all
Destroid wrote: If someone could provide me with the editor codes and a sprite pack maybe I could give it a go :)
Editor codes aren't required, you can read the raw data #-o
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

Funnily enough, i've just pretty much done the same this afternoon too, although I just put the editor codes into the editor and then took a screen grab, then cut the editor bits out, is that what you did or is there a better way ?

And I will keep them to myself for now too.
Last edited by Samwise on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quoting
MatthewThompson

Kecske Bak wrote:I've found that the scrolling on Lost Realms, running on the GNU/Linux B-Em, Fedora 14, flickers least out of all the BBC Reptons. I suspect it may be doing something clever that your RISC OS emulator can't yet cope with, but I think Tom better comment on that.

Many thanks for the kind words about the graphics - they are much appreciated.
No worries, credit where it's due. Although I must admit it did take a while to get used to the BBC style all over again, after being so used to the PC style graphics.
Last edited by MatthewThompson on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewThompson

The Kraken wrote:
MatthewThompson wrote:I have to agree that the lack of maps on some levels is disappointing, that was a real irritant on the original games, and I personally like to study the map of the level and work out the best route etc. I don't see the point of selective maps, either have maps or don't have maps, maybe once you've completed the level it could then unlock the map?
Well, we already had this argument on the Lost Realms forum, but since some people who didn't read that may wish to add to the debate, I'll say my piece again here.

The purpose of selective maps is to explore different aspects of the Repton experience -- the thrill of exploring the unknown and gradually piecing together a big picture from a series of little snapshot views. One of my fondest Repton memories is the overwhelming sense of awe I felt on being plunged into Finale Screen G (after getting so frustrated with Screen B that I guessed passwords at random!) It seems to me a reasonable compromise that Lost Realms gives you and other map-wanters two-thirds of its levels the way you prefer them -- surely it's not so much to ask that I and others like me should get to experience these pleasures on a few levels as well?

Furthermore, the mapless levels in Largo and Adagio were all specifically designed to work better without map availability; these, in their different ways, are levels that are all about exploration and working out connections.

I do like the idea of unlocking map availability once you complete a level -- assuming that you meant on selected levels, while four in each set would still have map availability from the outset. (Having map availability on Screen A of every set helps ease the player into the game, while conversely, Presto E and F would both be way off the scale of unfair hardness without maps.) But I'm fairly sure this could not have been implemented in Lost Realms as there wouldn't have been space to add it to the program. It's a possible idea for a future PC release, though. And meanwhile, what you do have is editor access once you complete a level, which allows you to screenshot the level map.

I think I must of missed the map or no map discussion, I think it's a matter of personal taste, as I prefer having maps on all the levels, having said that I didn't struggle too much without them on the 2 levels of Largo that have no maps, however I do hope that the later levels which will no doubt be a lot more tricky, will have maps available.

I think the idea of map unlocking is a feature which would be worth adding into a future PC release, should this happen, if maps are not available on certain levels, and yes I did mean on selected levels.
Last edited by MatthewThompson on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewThompson

Having now completed the first set of screens without using a password or losing a life, I was presented with a screen with a code on it. Does this code serve any purpose? Do we need to write down all the codes from each level section and send them to Retro Software for a signed congratulatory certificate ? or win a new walkman or something (as was the norm back in the Superior Software days).
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

MatthewThompson wrote: Funnily enough, i've just pretty much done the same this afternoon too, although I just put the editor codes into the editor and then took a screen grab, then cut the editor bits out, is that what you did or is there a better way ?

And I will keep them to myself for now too.
Who needs editor codes? :P
I took the LARGO file, worked out how the different tiles are encoded onto the map, got the sprites in 32x32 pixel pieces and wrote a BBC BASIC program to display the map and associated data (password, edit code, etc.) which can then be saved as a complete map :)
Attachments
LARGO SCREEN A
LARGO SCREEN A
LARGO-A.png (25.4 KiB) Viewed 6536 times
MatthewThompson

That screen map looks excellent, much better than my editor screen grabs. No idea how you do maps like that, bit too technical for me I think.

Anyone seen the level which reminds me a lot of an old BBC game ?
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

MatthewThompson wrote: Anyone seen the level which reminds me a lot of an old BBC game ?
Ravenskull, in the ADAGIO level set? :)
MatthewThompson

Yep, that's the one, Great idea for a level.
Last edited by Samwise on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kraken

Post by The Kraken »

MatthewThompson wrote:I didn't struggle too much without them on the 2 levels of Largo that have no maps, however I do hope that the later levels which will no doubt be a lot more tricky, will have maps available.
Each level file has exactly 2 levels without maps, though as you will already have noticed it's not always the same two. In particular, PRESTO has two earlier levels without maps so that E and F do have maps -- I felt that as these are the hardest levels in the game it would be unfair to ask the player to solve them without maps.

I don't know if there's an official reward offered for getting all four competition entry codes, but I have all the codes so I can check if yours are correct, and if you get them all and send them to me I will make sure you get a prize in some form -- you'll certainly have earned it!

I love the map image (though I agree with Dave on holding off on publishing these). Pity the spirits don't come out very clearly, though.

Glad you like the Ravenskull-inspired level. This one was designed by our friend Samwise, who was originally unsure whether the level was good enough for the commerical release, but fortunately Jonathan and I (both Ravenskull fans) advocated its inclusion.

Incidentally, I've made a Repton 3 scenario based on the layouts of all eight Ravenskull levels; this scenario may possibly find its way into one of Superior Interactive's PC releases, though the later levels don't work as well as Repton levels as I would have liked.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

The Kraken wrote:
I love the map image (though I agree with Dave on holding off on publishing these). Pity the spirits don't come out very clearly, though.
Displaying the map at full original size...

http://stardot.org.uk/forums/download/file.php?id=1895

... they don't look so bad!
MatthewThompson

The Kraken wrote:
MatthewThompson wrote:I didn't struggle too much without them on the 2 levels of Largo that have no maps, however I do hope that the later levels which will no doubt be a lot more tricky, will have maps available.
Each level file has exactly 2 levels without maps, though as you will already have noticed it's not always the same two. In particular, PRESTO has two earlier levels without maps so that E and F do have maps -- I felt that as these are the hardest levels in the game it would be unfair to ask the player to solve them without maps.
I have to say that the 4 screens I have encountered which didn't have maps, haven't really given me too many problems and made me think i really need a map here. Maybe on the later harder levels I will be thinking differently!
The Kraken wrote:* * *

I don't know if there's an official reward offered for getting all four competition entry codes, but I have all the codes so I can check if yours are correct, and if you get them all and send them to me I will make sure you get a prize in some form -- you'll certainly have earned it!
I took a screen shot of the final screen, so it should be correct, i've just finished all the Adagio scenario individually so now have to try and complete them all without using the passwords, can you lose a life on any of these levels and still get the proper ending ? unlike the PC Repton where you need to finish all levels without losing a life.
The Kraken wrote:* * *

Glad you like the Ravenskull-inspired level. This one was designed by our friend Samwise, who was originally unsure whether the level was good enough for the commerical release, but fortunately Jonathan and I (both Ravenskull fans) advocated its inclusion.
Who else would it have been ?!! I think it was a good idea, and would of got my vote too for inclusion.
The Kraken wrote:Incidentally, I've made a Repton 3 scenario based on the layouts of all eight Ravenskull levels; this scenario may possibly find its way into one of Superior Interactive's PC releases, though the later levels don't work as well as Repton levels as I would have liked.
Would make for interesting playing, will these levels be known as RepSkull or RavenTon?
Last edited by Samwise on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed incorrect quotation blocks of previous post
Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson »

Arcadian wrote: The second batch of Repton discs are now ready (BBC Micro 5.25" DFS version) and you can get them via eBay:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/dllm

(((checks link)))

Oh, all gone already!

Knickers.

gc
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Yup, the 15 that were listed on eBay got snapped up in 5 days (and I'm surprised it took that long - after all, we ARE talking about a long lost REPTON here! For shame, Beeb fans ... ! :lol: ).

The above 15 (in addition to the 7 'pre-orders') all went out today. After I've got the 'contributor' copies sent out I'll list another batch ... though this might not be until the weekend. So stay on your toes and keep checking that eBay link!! ;)

I'll also list some more disc copies of Krystal Connection & Zap, as I've been rather busy over the Xmas period:

ImageClick to enlarge
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson »

Arcadian wrote:
The above 15 (in addition to the 7 'pre-orders') all went out today. After I've got the 'contributor' copies sent out I'll list another batch ... though this might not be until the weekend. So stay on your toes and keep checking that eBay link!! ;)
I can wait. What's four days when you've been waiting 20-odd years for another bona fide Repton release? :-)

gc
garfield

Post by garfield »

Arcadian wrote: I'll also list some more disc copies of Krystal Connection & Zap, as I've been rather busy over the Xmas period:

ImageClick to enlarge
(Aside from my obvious interest in Repton Lost R), I'm interested in sourcing some new blank DSDD floppys and 5.25 jewl cases. Is there an online site where you picked up yours at? :?:
The Kraken

Post by The Kraken »

Sorry Matthew -- you didn't close and reopen your quote block so I missed some parts of your reply at first.
MatthewThompson wrote:I took a screen shot of the final screen, so it should be correct, i've just finished all the Adagio scenario individually so now have to try and complete them all without using the passwords, can you lose a life on any of these levels and still get the proper ending ? unlike the PC Repton where you need to finish all levels without losing a life.
Lost Realms follows the model of the original BBC games -- you get the competition code for completing all six levels without using passwords, whether or not you lose one or two lives. (Incidentally, Lost Realms, unlike Repton 3, allows you to complete a level without taking the crown, but you need to get all six crowns to see the competition code.)
MatthewThompson

That's good then, that you can complete the whole scenario and still lose lives. Although I still have been trying to complete all levels without losing a life, think you get used to doing that after playing so much PC Repton.
Last edited by Samwise on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

garfield wrote:(Aside from my obvious interest in Repton Lost R), I'm interested in sourcing some new blank DSDD floppys and 5.25 jewl cases. Is there an online site where you picked up yours at? :?:
Floppies turn up regularly on eBay of you want small quantities, and you can get them out of the states new still from Athana:

http://www.athana.com/html/diskette.html

As for the cases, I've just made some enquiries to Duraweld, who custom make the A5 ring binders I use for my CUG, about making replica cases of the type they used to ship disc software in the early 80s - you know the flat black A5 size ones that fold out. They are more rugged than jewel cases, and are great for 3.5" or 5.25", and still have the retro "feel" to them. I'll post back when they've done me a quote.

Mark.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

garfield wrote: I'm interested in sourcing some new blank DSDD floppys and 5.25 jewl cases. Is there an online site where you picked up yours at? :?:
Jewel cases: there was, but they've now completely sold out and won't be getting any more in as their supplier has stopped making them. You can still order similar cases (which don't have corrugated edges) from a Calendar Case supplier such as calendarcase.net

Disks: I've generally just picked up lots of blank discs when I've seen them on eBay etc.

Or as Mark says, you could order them in from the US e.g. Athana. This is the quote I had from them a couple of years ago: "500 5 1/4" diskettes in envelopes for .52 U.S.= $260.00 plus $117.00 for shipping to the U.K. for a total of $377.00 U.S."
retroclinic wrote:As for the cases, I've just made some enquiries to Duraweld, who custom make the A5 ring binders I use for my CUG, about making replica cases of the type they used to ship disc software in the early 80s - you know the flat black A5 size ones that fold out. They are more rugged than jewel cases, and are great for 3.5" or 5.25", and still have the retro "feel" to them. I'll post back when they've done me a quote.
I know someone who sent one of those black cases off for a production quote a couple of years ago: £900 for 200 cases! :shock: :lol:
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Just listed another 15:

(I still need to send out the contributor copies ... just waiting on some cardboard mailers to arrive, which should be with me on Monday ...)
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

Arcadian wrote:
retroclinic wrote:As for the cases, I've just made some enquiries to Duraweld, who custom make the A5 ring binders I use for my CUG, about making replica cases of the type they used to ship disc software in the early 80s - you know the flat black A5 size ones that fold out. They are more rugged than jewel cases, and are great for 3.5" or 5.25", and still have the retro "feel" to them. I'll post back when they've done me a quote.
I know someone who sent one of those black cases off for a production quote a couple of years ago: £900 for 200 cases! :shock: :lol:
Just had the reply back from Duraweld £1.10ea for 200pcs, down to 0.82p for 500 (+VAT), so a bit better! I'll probably be placing an order for some of those shortly, does anyone else fancy some, so I can get the higher qty at a better price?

Mark.
guddler

Post by guddler »

Mine turned up this morning Dave - cheers for that.

How are RS set for things like cases when it comes to future releases? Are you guys sitting on a moutainous stock pile?
Deleted User 9118

Post by Deleted User 9118 »

Arcadian wrote:Just listed another 15:
I tried to do a buy it now but noticed you don't send outside UK?
MatthewThompson

Got my physical copy on Friday, many thanks, it was brilliant to receive it through the post, as it was a big throwback to when I used to receive the latest Superior Software release back in the 1980, Lost Realms has the same layout, style, packaging etc, Happy Days !!

Really getting into the game now, am onto the Allegro set of screens now (I assume this is named due to the musical link rather than someone's car!) and am onto Level 3 of this set, and the difficulty rating is certainly going up !!
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

MatthewThompson wrote:Really getting into the game now, am onto the Allegro set of screens now (I assume this is named due to the musical link rather than someone's car!)
It's lovely to hear that someone is tackling the Allegro screens - I was responsible for all six of these. I'll be interested to know how you get on.
MatthewThompson

I'm now onto Screen D of the Allegro set of screen, the first 2 screens weren't too difficult, Screen B needed a bit of map studying to work out how to re-route the spirits, then Screen C took me a while as every time I thought i'd sussed it, I found another diamond blocked off from the key collection! Screen D looks particulary nasty, and I remember playing it in the pre-release test screens and I didn't get very far then, hopefully I can do better now.
Last edited by Samwise on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

Thanks for letting me know how you're getting on - I'm sure you'll have finished the whole set soon.
MatthewThompson wrote:Screen B needed a bit of map studying to work out how to re-route the spirits,
Screen B is my homage to Repton 2!
MatthewThompson wrote:Screen C took me a while as every time I thought i'd sussed it, I found another diamond blocked off from the key collection!
Well, that one worked just as I was hoping then!
MatthewThompson wrote:Screen D looks particulary nasty,
It's actually not that bad - it's an easy screen to complete once you've worked it out. I think I moved the transporter up a square since you saw it first to make it a bit more generous too.
kingcobra

Post by kingcobra »

MatthewThompson wrote:Really getting into the game now, am onto the Allegro set of screens now (I assume this is named due to the musical link rather than someone's car!) and am onto Level 3 of this set, and the difficulty rating is certainly going up !!
It was named after the musical link and this was my suggestion because the first three game files of Repton 3 are named after musical links
The Kraken

Post by The Kraken »

Kecske Bak wrote:
MatthewThompson wrote:Screen D looks particulary nasty,
It's actually not that bad - it's an easy screen to complete once you've worked it out.
But one of the hardest screens to complete again once you've solved it once and forgotten your solution :wink:

Return to “new bbc and electron games from 'retro software'”