Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
Michael Brown

Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror

Post by Michael Brown »

Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror was written by Gary Partis in 1985 for Micro Power.
The game requires the use of Sideways RAM.

Here is my complete version that I have put together from various copies that were floating around. Make sure you have some Sideways RAM and the game will simply load straight in.
It would have been nice if I could have gotten hold of a copy that saves to disc but the tape copy will have to do for now.

It works on BeebEm in BBC B mode with Acorn DFS.
Enjoy!
Doctor Who SR.zip
(34.62 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
billcarr2005

Re: Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror

Post by billcarr2005 »

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archi ... Master.zip

This version transferred from the V1.2 BBC B+/Master disk has save to disk (at least i think it should have)
Not sure whether this version was created from the original disk
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archi ... -swram.zip

Always good to have the complete collection of different versions available though! :)
Last edited by billcarr2005 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

I have had a look at these two versions.
The first one is for the Master and has a load/save menu to disc plus music playing throughout the game.

The second one is the same copy I used for my version and only saves to tape.
It would be nice if we could get a BBC B copy that saves to disc as I am sure this game came out on both tape and disc with a ROM chip for the BBC B.

thanks anyway.
Mick.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

I've got the original disk somewhere, so will check how the disk image performs under emulation...

Disk image with files retrieved from the original disk still wants to load from/save to cassette. The instructions i have don't mention the disk version. Unless there was some vector redirection going on in the original code, to intercept the saves - but (L)oad immediately goes to Searching... which implies that no file name is required, which might make more than one save to disk hard!

Have checked the FDI and the same problem exists... :(
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

does anyone know where once can find game instructions and or walk through for this game? only see a complete map on stairwaytohell site :wink:
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

I used the forum search :wink: and found this

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3070

Think that's what you need ... but watch out in case there are any spoilers you don't want to read!
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Does anyone have scans of the actual instructions for this game.

I am in the process of including them on my disc, but I think the typed ones featured in this thread have a few mistakes.
Just need to check against the originals.

regards,
Mick.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Is there a uef copy of the tape version of "Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror" or could no one copy the tape of this because of the copy protection?
if so does anyone know where I can fine it?
I have asked else where on the forum but got no response from anyone.
Peter.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

vanekp wrote:Is there a uef copy of the tape version of "Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror" or could no one copy the tape of this because of the copy protection? if so does anyone know where I can fine it?
Try asking Jeremy.

Or eBay.

:shock:
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

looked on fleebay and say nothing there. But thanks anyway.
Peter.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

vanekp wrote:looked on fleebay and say nothing there.
Um, try clicking on the word "eBay" in my previous post..!

:idea:
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

O did not realize it was a link to a sale of the software :D ouch 56 euros plus postage.
So no one has a uef or even a good quality wave image of it then? as 50 pound just to get to look at the copy protection I find a bit steep.
Peter.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

vanekp wrote:So no one has a uef or even a good quality wave image of it then? ... to get to look at the copy protection
You can send a PM to Jeremy and ask him:
Jeremy Grayson wrote:... my pretty much unplayed original copy of Dr Who and the Mines of Terror ...
:?:
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Guess he is not around as I have received no answer from him to date:(
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

^too busy playing Bumble Bee high score challenge, or has the disc but not the tape ...... :-k
ImageImageImage
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson »

vanekp wrote:Guess he is not around as I have received no answer from him to date:(

Other than a PM seven minutes ago, I can honestly say I've received no PM from you up until now, Peter. Other inferior Jeremy Graysons must be available :-)

gc
* BBC gamer since 26/11/1984 - original hardware/software unless otherwise unavoidable
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: soft chuff
Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson »

Per the actual question, and to save on PMs, some of you on here will already know that sadly I don't have either the facilities or (in particular) the brains to convert an original tape to a uef, wave image or anything else as 21st century.

My Mines of Terror tape is in storage at present; ostensibly it could be retrievable in time for someone to copy it at ABug in mid-January, but as I'll be heavily involved in the point-to-point season by then I can't confirm my attendance or non-attendance until days before.

I'd be hopeful of getting to another Beeb event by early summer at the latest, though, so if this is still an unresolved issue by then I'll still be happy to help.

Cheers!

gc
* BBC gamer since 26/11/1984 - original hardware/software unless otherwise unavoidable
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: soft chuff
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Not sure what happened to the one i though I sent the other day the gremlins must have eaten it up.
Thanks for the info, I assumed you had some sort of electronic copy of it, and to convert to a wave file you only need something like goldwave https://www.goldwave.com/ at tape deck connected to your pc with an audio lead I only normally use one channel and record from that channel, with about 50% amplitude on the waveform.
But if that too complicated then hopefully someone else out there has a copy of it as a wave file, you cant be the only person in possession of the tape version of Doctor who.
Thanks again,
Peter.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

mmm some interesting text in the file with odd data in it
"*TDN Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror. (C) Micro Power 1985. Quark III tape protection.!"
Its the 1st tape that appears to make use of what sounds like long short waves for protection, even sounds like it may have data at a different baud rate, hard to say.
The block ends with the text "End Of File"
And yes I got hold of a wave file for Doctor Who not the best quality but enough to see the protection, the last 2 data files are corrupt in the wav file I got but am very grateful to the person that supplied it to me to get a look at the tape protection used.
Peter.
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Thanks to BillCarr :wink: for using a OK program
GoldWave to create a .WAV from the original tape (NOT Audacity..(Shi**))
the peaks & troughs Exist! :shock: 8)
.WAV
.WAV
this CSW works in bEm22 but not BeebEm414 (must be the 6522 decripts....)
the UEFhq looks ok, but not tried....

to go:
*T.
*/
Attachments
whoDrCSW.zip
CSW
(312.75 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
whoDrUEFhq.zip
UEFhq
(29.4 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
ImageImageImage
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

mmm did not try it in B-em and also not the csw but it does work as you say and does not in BeebEm, csw's never seem to work as they should in BeebEm.
And the uef's don't work in either.

O and here it the rom for it if anyone needs that, just drop it into your b-em\roms\b folder, if you use it else where make sure its write protected or the program will crash when it completes loading.
Peter.
Attachments
DoctorWho.rar
(6.3 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Bot sure if its how the doctorWho tape is but find the wav file has a big wave to it could be from mains interference in the recording just does not look 100%
DoctorWhoWave.png
Zoomed
DoctorWhoWaveZoomed.png
Frack also looking at a carrier tone on a recording I made from my Frak tape
FrakCarrierTone.png
And zoomed in version of the same
FrakCarrierToneZoomed.png
There is a big difference, but it works, just does not look right.
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

^reading one of BillCarr's PMs, and said done through Mic (pink) In, so luckily it worked at all! :o
unless he meant the Blue Line In :? , but if Mic In, then must have a better built in /PCI sound card :shock:
ImageImageImage
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

I always use the mic-in on mine and get good quality waves as my tape recorder does not put out a very high level. If I use line-in the recorded wav is far too low in volume.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

lurkio wrote:
vanekp wrote:Is there a uef copy of the tape version of "Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror" or could no one copy the tape of this because of the copy protection? if so does anyone know where I can fine it?
Try asking Jeremy.

Or eBay.

:shock:
*sigh* was trying to bargain with the guy who had it on ebay and he withdrew it before the time was up on the sale.
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

vanekp wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:44 pm Bot sure if its how the doctorWho tape is but find the wav file has a big wave to it could be from mains interference in the recording just does not look 100%
There is a big difference, but it works, just does not look right.
Can't tell from this whether you're happy with the existing wav or not? - anyway, if not, I've got a Doctor Who tape, and while I've no idea if it still works or not I can probably figure out how to get a recording of it.

--Tom
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Hi Tom,
I would love to get a better recording of the doctor who tape if possible, I use Goldwave to record all my wav files, I know others use other software to do it. Here is a link to give you some tips how to get the best wav file https://acorn.huininga.nl/pub/unsorted/ ... %20CSW.pdf
Regards Peter.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Michael Brown wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:45 pm Does anyone have scans of the actual instructions for this game.

I am in the process of including them on my disc, but I think the typed ones featured in this thread have a few mistakes.
Just need to check against the originals.

regards,
Mick.
Any luck?
If someone could just take mobile phone photos of their instructions, that should be good enough.

Lee.
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

leenew wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:23 amIf someone could just take mobile phone photos of their instructions, that should be good enough.
I'll do this. Worst case will be some dodgy mobile pics, but if my scanner still works (it's rather old, hasn't been used in years, and is another part of these boxes of old stuff I've been going through over the past couple of days...) then I'll use that.

My copy has all the instruction bits, I think, maybe except for the little business card-size thing with the coloured icons on...

--Tom
Last edited by tom_seddon on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “archive submissions”