BeebIt RiscOS Open 5.30

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
BrettRogersUK

BeebIt RiscOS Open 5.30

Post by BrettRogersUK »

Hi All,

I've got BeebIt running on my Pi400 running RiscOS Open 5.30. I have the latest version of Beebit downloaded from Michael Foot's website (which is an excellent website by the way). It is very quick to load on RiscOS itself and easy to download the file.

I've had a look at the help file for help with they keys but not really found what I've been looking for. Does anybody know what key the break key is mapped to on the PI400 keyboard. Obviously it goes from F1-F10 then PrtScr and Del.

If someone could let me know I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Brett
acorndave

Re: BeebIt RiscOS Open 5.30

Post by acorndave »

Do you have a break key available in the normal RISC OS environment. If so Beebit should use the same keypress. If not you may have to 'create' one.

Some info here:

https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/11/topics/15258
paintings

Post by paintings »

On the Pi 400, Shift-Break and Control-Break have been moved to the PrtScn key at RISC OS 5.30.

For Shift-Break, press Shift-PrtScn.
For Ctrl-Break, press Ctrl-PrtScn.

PrtScn on its own still performs the "print" function, as before.
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

paintings wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:00 pm On the Pi 400, Shift-Break and Control-Break have been moved to the PrtScn key at RISC OS 5.30.

For Shift-Break, press Shift-PrtScn.
For Ctrl-Break, press Ctrl-PrtScn.

PrtScn on its own still performs the "print" function, as before.
Thanks for that! I will try that tomorrow.

Kind Regards,

Brett
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

acorndave wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 pm Do you have a break key available in the normal RISC OS environment. If so Beebit should use the same keypress. If not you may have to 'create' one.

Some info here:

https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/11/topics/15258
Hi Dave,

I don't think there is one on the PI400 Keyboard.

Regards,

Brett
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

Hi Everyone,

I've tried to remap the key using the KeyMapper module. However, when I map the break key to F9 for example using

Code: Select all

keymap 9 15
And using the relevant information from here too https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documen ... reak%20key

I still can't get BeebIt to boot any if the SSDs I put into it. I can't ctrl+break nor can I shift+break. Pressing ctrl+F9 or shift+F9 moves the cursor on the screen one place to the right.

I have read that it was mapped to the PrtScn key however, pressing ctrl+PrtScn or Shift+PrtScn does nothing either.

In file SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.!Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk there is a basic file there called KeyToBreak and its contents is a basic program which (by the looks of it) maps the break key to the SysRq key I believe.

So I'm at a loss as to what to try next. It is a PI400 UK version. But I just can't get BeebIt to function correctly.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Brett

EDIT: I've run the basic program KeyToBreak and loaded BeebIt again. I've now got ctrl+PrtScn now resets the screen but shift+PrtScn does nothing so still can't access any of the SSD files by shift+break. However, I have got a disc to run using *Exec !Boot command

EDIT 2: Looking at the listing for KeyToBreak file RShift and LShift weren't mentioned. Added them into the listing and restarted. Ran the file then loaded BeebIt and now have Shift+Break functionality when pressing Shift+PrtScr on Pi400 Keyboard.

Lines added to file were in the .keyup and .keydown section above the lines where it copies it:

Code: Select all

TEQ     R1,#76      /LShift
TEQNE   R1,#88      /RShift
Save the file, run it, load beebit and you get the functionality back.
Footie

Post by Footie »

Have a look at the !Help file in BeebIt, specifically under the section KEYBOARD LAYOUT
You can create a key mapping file to map the Break key to another key.

You can define your own keyboard layouts by copying the 'Default' file in the KeyMaps directory inside the BeebIt directory to another filename. Load the new file into an editor that will allow you to change each byte in the file (ie. Zap or StrongEd) and make sure you have override mode on. Each byte in the keymap file corresponds to each location of a key up/down event in RISC OS. The table showing the location for each key is in the RISC OS PRMs under key up/down event 11 (Volume 1: Chapter 11: Events). These locations are then mapped to the corresponding BBC Internal Key number which is shown in the Advanced user Guide for the BBC in Appendix C - Key Values Summary (pages 356-458).

The keycode for break is &80. Usually this is in location &0F of the key map file. If you use a Pi-Top or other cutdown keyboard, you can modify a key map file to put &80 in a suitable position.

Also, you can run programs on disc images manually.
Catalog the disc and note what option is set for the disc.
If 3 Exec, type *EXEC !BOOT
if 2 Run type *RUN !BOOT

otherwise you can CHAIN "" a basic program or *RUN "" a machine code program.

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”