Repairing a 1770 Interface

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
dhoggan

Repairing a 1770 Interface

Post by dhoggan »

I've got a poorly RetroClinic 1770 Interface where one pin has come off and one has way too much solder where someone has tried doing something with it - both on the 40-way DIL connector. I could graft a new pin on but I'd rather just replace the whole whole - not least because the desoldering station is looking a bit neglected!
1770  Interface.JPG
Can anyone tell me the name of that connector - where its pins on both sides - please. It's a DIL package as opposed to two separate lines of pins - I like them as less chance of wonky angles!

Thanks,

Dave
Ukwebb

Re: Repairing a 1770 Interface

Post by Ukwebb »

They seem to have many names , but "turned pin headers" usually get you somewhere near.

I bought my last ones from ... https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/pro ... sil-header

Check their eBay store too. They're usually cheaper !!
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

Ah, thanks Richard. I have seen them - it was the ones in DIL package format I was after - not sure if they still make them that way though.
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

The DIL version is rare-to-non-existent nowadays. If there are any made, I'd still expect them to be called a turned pin header, though.

However, all you need to do is pop the "free ends" of two SIL headers into a scrap DIL socket (to keep them square and aligned while you solder the other end to the board), then pop the socket off once you are done and ta-da.
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

wiggy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:06 pm However, all you need to do is pop the "free ends" of two SIL headers into a scrap DIL socket (to keep them square and aligned while you solder the other end to the board), then pop the socket off once you are done and ta-da.
Oh... that's genius! Though kicking myself for not thinking about it. Pretty sure I've got all the bits then.

Thanks both!
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

I agree with the method suggested by Wiggy. I do the same when using tuned pin SIL headers.

However, if you do want to go down the DIL header path, then ssk these guys for a quote. I find them to be very reasonable:

https://www.e-tec.co.uk/product/298630/ ... 0-contacts
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

Yep I use a socket to keep everything in line, and frequently leave a turned pin socket on the bottom to raise the height a little more and offer some strength and, should they bend again, it's easier to replace the plug on socket :)
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”