Multiplayer Elite over Econet (for all 8-bit BBC machines)

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

MarkMoxon

Multiplayer Elite over Econet (for all 8-bit BBC machines)

Post by MarkMoxon »

Disclaimer: Note that this is not a multiplayer arena combat version of Elite. The game is unchanged, it's just got support for live multiplayer competitions. I thought I'd better make that clear from the outset. :-)

In anticipation of the TNMOC Econet LAN Party, I have just released a big update to Elite over Econet.

Not only does it now run on all 8-bit BBC machines (including the unexpanded BBC Micro), but I have added live multiplayer scoreboards to the mix.

Here's an example scoreboard:

scoreboard.png

Here you can see six players competing live on three different bridge-connected Econet networks (1, 2 and 12). The scoreboard updates as players play, with Elite itself transmitting live player stats to a central scoreboard machine. The scoreboard shows kills, deaths, credits, legal status, ship condition and more, all updated as it happens.

The idea is that you can run competitive Elite events between groups of players, all connected by Econet. You don't need any modern equipment - this all runs on standard 1980s kit - but if you use a PiBridge to connect networks over the Internet, you can even run live international competitions.

The scoreboard can be ordered by kills or by credits, so you can run combat or trading/bounty competitions, or you can just hook up with friends for a bit of high score fun (e.g. sudden death, first to reach a certain credit score, first to spend all their credits - whatever floats your boat).

You simply run the scoreboard on one machine, and then configure each participating Elite game to transmit live updates to that machine via a new in-game network screen:

network_configuration.png
network_configuration.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 256 times

Multiple scoreboards can be chained to pass data from one to another, and there's a simple debug tool for checking Elite network traffic. I've also added insta-docking to all versions, as I had to remove the docking sequence from BBC Micro Elite to get it working with Econet, so this levels the playing field.

Full details can be found here:

https://www.bbcelite.com/hacks/elite_ov ... board.html

and downloads and installation instructions are here:

https://www.bbcelite.com/hacks/elite_ov ... loads.html

A massive thank you to Mark Usher for testing this new feature, and for providing lots of Econet coding tips that have been incredibly helpful in getting this working. And for proving that this works across international borders, which is really something to behold! :-)

Note that this is a fairly experimental feature, and there are going to be bugs. If anyone has time to have a play, I'd be really interested to know how you get on. For example, one thing I haven't been able to test is the network number shown in the top-right corner of the scoreboard, when the scoreboard is running on a BBC Micro. On the Master and Archimedes the network number is correctly shown, as ANFS fetches it for you, but I haven't been able to test this on a standard Beeb with NFS (I only have one network at home, and don't have a bridge to test the bridge query code!). I am also interested in knowing whether data transmission works with lots of players - each data transmission is only 20 bytes, but there's no test like a LAN Party test.

The LAN Party is imminent. Time to hone your Elite skills, Commanders!

Mark
bob147

Re: Multiplayer Elite over Econet (for all 8-bit BBC machines)

Post by bob147 »

That's so cool, I love the idea of a worldwide competition (even if I would be right near the bottom of such a table :) ). Does it function with BeebEm's Econet implementation? I appreciate BeebEm was probably not the target use case but it'd be nice to be able to muck around with it a bit.
MarkMoxon

Re: Multiplayer Elite over Econet (for all 8-bit BBC machines)

Post by MarkMoxon »

bob147 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:18 am That's so cool, I love the idea of a worldwide competition (even if I would be right near the bottom of such a table :) ). Does it function with BeebEm's Econet implementation? I appreciate BeebEm was probably not the target use case but it'd be nice to be able to muck around with it a bit.
I haven't tried it myself (I've been developing on a real network), but I am told that it works fine on a BeebEm Econet. I must give it a go myself!

Mark

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”