Simplest way to image RISC iX floppies?

A place for discussing anything RISC iX, whether emulated or on original hardware!
RobC

Simplest way to image RISC iX floppies?

Post by RobC »

I won some floppies containing the "Recital RDBMS" for RISC iX a while back. I can't access my R260 at the moment but thought I'd better image the floppies as I don't think they're available elsewhere. (If anyone knows of or has already archived them, please say!)

Is there a simple way of archiving the floppies? I have things like Omiflop but don't have access to my Linux machine either at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
SarahWalker

Re: Simplest way to image RISC iX floppies?

Post by SarahWalker »

Omniflop should work. From memory RISC iX floppies are the same physical format as ADFS D/E.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

RobC wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:04 pm I won some floppies containing the "Recital RDBMS" for RISC iX a while back.
Sorry, off-topic but related.

I'm glad it was someone here that won it. I was a lead Recital developer for a FTSE 100 through the 90's and was very tempted to get into a bidding war just to reminisce! In the end I figured...seriously what am I going to do with it? Write more accounting systems!

I remember it would create the debug logs in the root if you didn't explicitly tell it not to. I obviously forgot to repoint it one day and managed to take down the whole company when it filled the root and crashed the mainframe. All the production lines had to stop, sales couldn't take orders, shipping and purchasing ceased. Suffice to say I was asked to make myself scarce until IBM could figure out how to get the thing booted and delete the offending log file.

Recital and its relatives were big for a while until Oracle became dominant, I'm amazed they're still selling it to this day.
paulb

Post by paulb »

sirbod wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:34 am I'm glad it was someone here that won it. I was a lead Recital developer for a FTSE 100 through the 90's and was very tempted to get into a bidding war just to reminisce! In the end I figured...seriously what am I going to do with it? Write more accounting systems!
Great to hear stories about these products, even if not on RISC iX itself. Perusing news articles about the software released for RISC iX, some of the names are familiar - Informix, for instance, even if it is mostly just a memory to all but IBM shops - but the others are typically obscure, at least to us now but also for the average Acorn User reader at the time, I would imagine. Uniplex was apparently well-known to its target audience, however.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: RISC iX”