Aries B32 installation

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
wisemoth

Aries B32 installation

Post by wisemoth »

I found that I had an Aries B32 at the back of the cupboard, so tried fitting it to my Issue 7 model B. I followed the instruction manual to fit it, but no luck. However the symptoms seem consistent with the connection into the 6502 socket not being good (power on, no display, long beep)

With that, and looking at the Aries, I am a bit puzzled at the design of the boards connecting pins: the lower side - that connecting into the vacated original 6502 socket - are short round pins. The board came with a "spare carrier" thing (my words) which has slightly longer, but still round pins (as opposed to the normal squarer pins on the CPU itself)

If I seat the board into the 6502 socket without the carrier as interface, the plastic support peg on underside of the board just about reaches the Beeb motherboard so just about provides stability. But the pins barely insert into the CPU socket; so it doesn't work.

If I use the carrier thing the board seats a little better into the CPU socket (but still not great), but the support peg is now floating: so this doesn't seem right, and still doesn't work.

If I try just the 6502 into the carrier and insert that back into the original socket - ie no Aries board at all - the Beeb still doesn't power up.

Undoing it all and putting the CPU directly back in the socket - Beeb is works great.

So it does seem like there's a poor connection out of the original socket to either of the Aries connectors.

I can't seem to find any "adapter" that would convert the turned pins from the Aries into the style of the 6502.

I've used contact cleaner on the original 6502 socket.

Am I missing something obvious? I'm not sure I want to keep popping the 6502 out to do many more experiments!

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”