Joy ROM or similar?

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
necronom

Joy ROM or similar?

Post by necronom »

I've just seen a thread that mentioned the Wizard Joy ROM, which lets most games use the joystick. I've done some searches, but I can't find any for sale. Is there an alternative, or does anyone sell ROMs on request that they burn with an EPROM burner?
If I have to, I'd be willing to buy a cheap EPROM burner if I could use that for this job and for other things I might want to do in the future for the C64, Amiga, Vic-20, Spectrum, etc. I know nothing about the burners, so I don't even know if I can get a cheap one that would work for all my retro computers.
"The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties!" - Jack Howitzer, GTA V
Ukwebb

Re: Joy ROM or similar?

Post by Ukwebb »

The joy ROM can be downloaded here ....viewtopic.php?t=4571

The easiest way it to use a sideways ram module of some kind then you can load the rom in from disk etc when you need it, or indeed any other ROM you want to use at that time.

Second to that an eeprom module which has the benefit of the contents not being lost on power off.

Failing those, burning an EPROM is possible by many people here usually just for covering costs
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
necronom

Post by necronom »

Excellent. Thanks. That sounds good.

Just to make sure, I'd get this: "32 kB RAM/ROM kit £20.00 each"?
Then does it have to be put in the socket that the BASIC ROM is in, then the BASIC ROM goes on top, or can I just put it in the spare one to the right of BASIC and leave the empty socket on top?

Then do I get SRLOAD and do *SRLOAD ROMIMAGE 8000 4
or
*EELOAD ROMIMAGE x
"The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties!" - Jack Howitzer, GTA V
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

Ideal
Srload won't work with a stock beeb but on boobips site there is a free program called rtool that will do the same thing.
It can go in any of the four ROM sockets as he describes on his webpage :)
http://www.boobip.com/hardware/32kb-ram-32kb-rom
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
tricky

Post by tricky »

Most games may be numerically true, but it is unlikely to work on games that read the keyboard hardware directly.
You could try it in an emulator first if you have any specific games you really want to play.
The boobip module is probably worth having anyway, as Tony the tiger would say, "They're gr-r-reat!" :)

PS I read the HW directly in my games as it is much faster, but I also support joystick, just press fire during play to activate (keys continue to work).
necronom

Post by necronom »

Thanks both for the info.
I've got rtool, and I'll give the "joy ROM" a go on an emulator. I didn't think of trying it with emulation. Once I'm happy I know what to do and that it's working with a decent selection of games, I'll get the hardware ordered.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”