SparkPlug - system resources cannot be found

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

Kepler

SparkPlug - system resources cannot be found

Post by Kepler »

Hi all,

Could somebody please explain what I am doing wrong in my attempt to run SparkPlug from a RAM Disk.

I downloaded a copy of the self extracting Splug226.bas file. Copied it on to a DOS formatted disk. Inserted it into the floppy drive of my A5000. Copied the file to a 1.6mb RAM Disk. Changed the file type to BASIC and then launched Splug226. The extraction seemed to work and I now have a spark plug icon. However, when I attempt to launch the application, I receive a "System Resources cannot be found" message. I tried the same extraction direct to the floppy disk, again no errors but this time no spark plug icon, just the standard Archimedes application icon, but with the same error when attempting to launch it.

The whole purpose of launching SparkPlug is so I can start unzipping other applications and games...but so far I haven't managed to get beyond the first stage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
wiggy

Re: SparkPlug - system resources cannot be found

Post by wiggy »

Don't worry about not seeing the icon - that's a race condition where the OS has looked for the icon file but it hasn't been copied yet, so the OS caches it as "doesn't have an icon".

As to the actual problem, I seem to remember that !SparkPlug doesn't need !System, but checks for it in error. If my memory is correct, you can comment out the check and carry on.

If you aren't familiar with doing that, Shift-double-click to open the Application's directory (rather than run it), then shift-double-click !Run (which will open in !Edit). You should be able to spot the offending line in the script and stick a vertical bar/pipe character on the front of the line. Save (F3, then enter) and try again.

That said, I've just tried this on a blank A5000 image on Arculator, and it seems to jam up the machine - I'm guessing this is a Clib version issue, but I'm not sure if it's emulation-related. I'm fairly sure I've never had an A5000 that didn't have either econet or ethernet in it, so not had to do this! Sorry!
IanS

Post by IanS »

Try this one, it doesn't have the system check.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20480
Kepler

Post by Kepler »

Thank you. I will try that one.

Assuming it does work...Once the application has been launched, is it simply a case of pointing to a zip file in order to unzip it?
IanS

Post by IanS »

Kepler wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:52 pm Assuming it does work...Once the application has been launched, is it simply a case of pointing to a zip file in order to unzip it?
Run sparkplug once extracted, then drag and drop zip files onto the icon on the desktop.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”