Timeout When Composing Posts

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the stardot forum
BeebMaster

Timeout When Composing Posts

Post by BeebMaster »

I've noticed over the last few days that when I am composing forum posts (or private messages), when I come to submit or preview the post, sometimes I have been logged out and have to log in again to submit. Luckily I haven't lost the message yet when this happens.

This is happening on Firefox on my Desktop PC (with Ubuntu) or Raspberry Pi 4 (with Raspbian Desktop). Has anything changed?

So far I have only found this happening when the compose message box is open; just browsing the forum keeps me logged in (even if I am "inactive" for a few minutes.)
sweh

Re: Timeout When Composing Posts

Post by sweh »

Hmm, when I login I click the "remember me" option, and I'm rarely logged out. I can come back days later and I'm still logged in. The very few times I am, I'm kinda guessing the server restarted so existing cookies aren't valid (but that's just a guess).

Do you have a cookie cleaner plugin (or firefox configured?) so that it automatically cleans cookies from sites it thinks you're no longer using?

This _feels_ like a client-side issue.
Rgds
Stephen
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Of course, it hasn't happened again since I posted!

I don't (think I) have cookies being stored at all, it's supposed to clear them out when I close the browser, and never save any log-ins or passwords so I always have to sign in to the forum whenever I want to post.

I keep the Ubuntu PC up-to-date so it could be a recent change to Firefox which caused it. I didn't update the Pi for years (still on "Buster" from 2019) but I have upgraded in the last few weeks (to "Bullseye" (let's hope they call the next one "Ask the Family" or "Every Second Counts")) to make sure I've got the latest for the Pi Econet Bridge, but it seems that the ARM/Pi versions of Mozilla applications are hundreds of version numbers behind the main Linux distributions.

At this point I am not ruling out the possibility that I could have been logged into the forum on both computers at the same time (especially if I had closed the browser on one computer without actually having logged out) which I suppose might have caused the problem. If it happens again I will try to check if that's the case.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I'm often logged in to this forum (and others) on multiple devices or computers at the same time, and don't experience any problems with this But I do use cookies and on systems that are kept up to date, let them store passwords for sites like forums.

Mark
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

It did just happen again, in a slight different form.

I logged in to the forum, and had 4 notifications. I worked my way through them using the notification links. When I got to the 4th one, it went back to the login screen and I had to sign in again to see the fourth one.

Quite odd; this is on RPi4 and I haven't used the forum on any other machines in the last few hours at least.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

DanielJ and I have noticed a bit of slow down, so we've given the Winchester some percussive maintenance and restarted the MySQL and Apache processes on the Master 512 hosting providers server. Let me know if that improves things.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Not yet, it just did it again when I was posting in the AUG thread.

Master 512, that modern? I thought it was all run on a System 3.

Return to “stardot FORUM”