Preparing a CF Hard Drive in Arculator

discuss emulators of 26-bit acorn systems e.g. arculator and rpcemu
Kepler

Preparing a CF Hard Drive in Arculator

Post by Kepler »

Hi all,

Is it possible to prepare a CF IDE HDD in Arculator and then transfer it to a real Archimedes?

I have installed Arculator and see that I can add a virtual hard drive but it appears that a hdf disc image will be created. I assume this will not be recognized by a real Archimedes?

Any help would be appreciated.
growntree

Re: Preparing a CF Hard Drive in Arculator

Post by growntree »

I have no idea if this is possible or not in arculator, but in the last post of viewtopic.php?p=406436#p406436 you can get partition manager which will allow you to partition and format the CF card on a real Archimedes.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

In theory it should be possible, assuming you have the same IDE interface in your real Archimedes as you are emulating in Arculator?
The HDF file should be a raw disk image that can be written to the CF card using normal Windows/Linux/macOS disk imaging tools. It wouldn't take too much effort to try it, however I would work in reverse. Format the CF card on your Arc, write a few files to it, pop it into your modern machine and read it back into an image file. Give the image file a HDF extension and see if Arculator can mount it. There may be a few extra steps but that's the general gist of it.
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

baz4096 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 am pop it into your modern machine and read it back into an image file. Give the image file a HDF extension and see if Arculator can mount it. There may be a few extra steps but that's the general gist of it.
I’ve done this several times, works fine both ways. The hdf file is just the raw image of the filecore structure from a real HDD.

Return to “32-bit acorn emulators”