BeebEm + MMFS with Master 128 Emulation

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
mmelbourne

BeebEm + MMFS with Master 128 Emulation

Post by mmelbourne »

Hi,

I have BeebEm (4.18) and MMFS (1.55) working well with MMBeebXL.dll (using 0xfe1c). The beeb.mmb file in the default location is recognised.

I am now trying to use MMFS with the Master 128 emulation within BeebEm, and can't get it to work (and it may not be supported)?

I have installed the MAMMFS rom in the Master 128, but just get the "Card?" message when trying to access discs. With the Master 128 emulation it's clearly not possible to select and load the dll using the "Model B Floppy Controller", and I believe MMBeebXL is only comptaible with the Model B emulation.

Is it possible to get MMFS to work with the Master 128 Emulation with BeebEm?

Many thanks,
Matt
hoglet

Re: BeebEm + MMFS with Master 128 Emulation

Post by hoglet »

mmelbourne wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 am I have installed the MAMMFS rom in the Master 128, but just get the "Card?" message when trying to access discs. With the Master 128 emulation it's clearly not possible to select and load the dll using the "Model B Floppy Controller", and I believe MMBeebXL is only comptaible with the Model B emulation.
I think your are correct...

MMBeebXL hardcodes the hardware address (of the SPI port) to &FE1C, which is what MMFS uses for the Model B.

On the Master, that address is used by the Analog-to-Digital convertor, so MMFS uses address &FEDC instead. As far as I can tell from looking at the MMBeebXL source, there is not a way to change this. There used to be a way to do this, but that's been removed in the latest version.

Why not file an issue on the MMBeebXK github and see if Martin will re-instate this option:
https://github.com/mmbeeb/MMBeebXL/issues

Dave
mm67

Post by mm67 »

It’s not the address which is the problem. MmbeebXL is selected as a ‘floppy disc controller’ in beebem, and this option is only active in model b emulation.
mm67
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

mm67 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 pm It’s not the address which is the problem. MmbeebXL is selected as a ‘floppy disc controller’ in beebem, and this option is only active in model b emulation.
Ah yes, that's a bit more of a problem then.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

mm67 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 pm It’s not the address which is the problem. MmbeebXL is selected as a ‘floppy disc controller’ in beebem, and this option is only active in model b emulation.
Would you mind if I integrate your MMBeeb code directly into BeebEm? I can add an option to enable it for all supported models, and it would be a bit easier to get started than having to install a DLL.
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”