GUILE (Acorn Computing MegaDisk 1992)

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
NickLuvsRetro

GUILE (Acorn Computing MegaDisk 1992)

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

Having a soft spot for 3D archie things, I collected a large number of floppy discs at the recent ABUG South (thanks Dan Rolfe for sharing!) and amongst them a demo for a game called GUILE took my interest. Acorn Computing MegaDisk No.1 October 1992

Sadly, I had to take the disk out of the Greaseweazle drive after 3 seconds due to the horrendous banshee screams emanating forthwith. :shock:

I found both on Stardot and arcarc.nl an ADF ("1992 11 Mega Disk.adf" and "1992 12 Mega Disk.adf") for this disk (1992 October MegaDisk 1 - the 11 and 12 for the months I assume?) but the contents appear to be different? There's no GUILE on the disk, just a font app called Frontier2000 and another app called Titler? The floppy I have here definitely says "October 1992", after passing my CSI Miami style "enhance" (aka, holding it at the right distance from my 40+ year old eyes).

(flaxcottage uploaded these a while back - viewtopic.php?t=7932 )

Not looking for a nawty full version, just interested in the demo on that disk as it's my kind of shebang.
IMG_1983.jpeg
IMG_1984.jpeg
acorndave

Re: GUILE (Acorn Computing MegaDisk 1992)

Post by acorndave »

There's a copy of guile on arcnl.nl in the games section

https://www.arcarc.nl/games.html

If you arrange it alphabetically it's probably about half way down.

I don't know if that's any good. Failing that I should have CD somewhere (in the loft probbaly) that has all the cover discs on. Let me know and I'll have a poke about and see if I can find it.

Think this might be it :
https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-au-cd1
Sophira

Post by Sophira »

NickLuvsRetro wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:09 pmI found both on Stardot and arcarc.nl an ADF ("1992 11 Mega Disk.adf" and "1992 12 Mega Disk.adf") for this disk (1992 October MegaDisk 1 - the 11 and 12 for the months I assume?)
It sounds like those would be the ADFs for November and December respectively, not October. Indeed, I just loaded up the ADFs for those two files from arcarc.nl and although I don't have a copy of the November issue, I can confirm that the "1992 12 Mega Disk.adf" file is indeed the MegaDisk for the December issue. So it sounds like you have the wrong months.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any archive of the October 1992 3.5" RISC OS coverdisc. The best I can do is the 5.25" subscriber disc for BBC Micros, which of course isn't what you're looking for in this case.

[edit: Sorry, I spoke too soon. acorndave is entirely correct, of course - it's on the Acorn User CD1 coverdisc and the Guile demo is there! I've extracted the Guile demo and attached it to this post for you.]
Attachments
GuileDemo.zip
Demo version of Guile
(122.59 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

Thank you both! Hah, yes well spotted, October isn't the 11th month... :lol:

acorndave: Thank you. I did investigate that version, but it has some compression tool CFS with it and couldn't get it working. I've downloaded the CDROM as there's probably quite a bit on there I might find interesting.

Sophira: Thank you for extracting that out for me. Got it up and running, interesting and quirky little game! I love finding these things I had no idea existed. Looks to have been quite well done.
omx5o

Post by omx5o »

That brings back memories. It was quite a difficult game if I remember correctly.
giggler

Post by giggler »

I remember speaking at length with the author who attending one or two of the early acorn shows. he re-released a speeded up version that removed the vdu12 on screen swap and replaced it with a load of STMs 0's. I have a cheat somewhere where you can select lots of characteristics, if u want it i'll dig it out but i think its for the real game rather than demo

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”