Acorn A3010 Motherboard Repair

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
PlanC

Acorn A3010 Motherboard Repair

Post by PlanC »

Hi All,

Just wondered if this short video may be of interest to anybody? Just a (<20 min) Vlog of an A3010 I repaired over the weekend. Well, I got it booting anyway, with video output and mouse working :lol: . I haven't tested the keyboard yet (apart from the Del key jerry rig) and I still need to check the floppy and serial ports etc in detail as had to repair quite a bid of battery / trace damage in that area. Hopefully, it should be fine.

The bare board came from ebay (a guy who usually sells Commodore gear). He didn't quite know what to make of it. Bit of result.

Anyway, here is the video:

https://youtu.be/VJmjXYy7VGg?si=95-ch1q_PuSAcRGQ

Does anybody know where I might source an A3010 top cover (or even the full plastic case)? I already have a spare A3000 keyboard here as I have fixed 4 of them so far, for my sins :lol:. I know it is a different colour but it looks otherwise the same to me? Pretty stuck on the case though. I do have the bottom plastic part. It was kindly given to me by GadgetUK164 and I think it was very kindly given to him by Zarchos, so thanks very much for that Zarchos!
nicf82

Re: Acorn A3010 Motherboard Repair

Post by nicf82 »

Great it’s an interesting watch! I’d be interested in how you hooked up the push button to simulate the del-key? I’m suspecting the A5000 I’m struggling with at the minute may not be picking up the keyboard, so would be good to try if if it will
work, and see if it fixes the SRAM errors!
IanS

Post by IanS »

nicf82 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:49 pm Great it’s an interesting watch! I’d be interested in how you hooked up the push button to simulate the del-key? I’m suspecting the A5000 I’m struggling with at the minute may not be picking up the keyboard, so would be good to try if if it will
work, and see if it fixes the SRAM errors!
The A30x0 have the keyboard encoder on the motherboard, so it is easy to press the DEl key - viewtopic.php?p=329759#p329759

On the A5000 the encoder is in the keyboard, so you can't easily do the same.

Have you checked the fuse feeding the keyboard socket, do you see any brief flashes from the keyboard LED's when you power on?
nicf82

Post by nicf82 »

Ah yes see what you mean! I do get the flashes, I will find/ check the fuse.

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”