Alsystems PowerTec IDE

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
antpant7

Alsystems PowerTec IDE

Post by antpant7 »

Hello, I have a A3000 with an Alsystems PowerTec IDE Podule fitted. On the back of the Podule it also includes a user port. I do not have the original disks that came with the card. Would anyone be able point me in the right direction to get a copy of the files needed so I can format a 512mb CF card I have fitted.

Thanks in advance.

Antony. :)
HigashiJun

Re: Alsystems PowerTec IDE

Post by HigashiJun »

Get !HForm and you're done.

You can download a copy here:

http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/indiv ... 4D-ZIDE8-F
HigashiJun
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

I may have added support for this card to Partition Manager, but probably didn't publicly list it as its not been tested. There's also the PM current beta available here.

EDIT: Sorry, now that I've checked I've not added support as I'm waiting for a dump off the Modules...see this post
EDIT2: I forgot to mention that it might still work as a generic IDEFS card. It will depend on how bespoke it is, if it doesn't support partitioning for example it will most likely be supported. A dump of all of the Modules from the card will allow me to reverse engineer the code to see if specific support is required, add detection of the card, low-level scanning of HD and prompt to correct if the *Config values are wrong.
Last edited by sirbod on Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
james

Post by james »

antpant7 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:22 pm Hello, I have a A3000 with an Alsystems PowerTec IDE Podule fitted. On the back of the Podule it also includes a user port. I do not have the original disks that came with the card. Would anyone be able point me in the right direction to get a copy of the files needed so I can format a 512mb CF card I have fitted.
Gary Partis might be able to sell you something suitably origional as it appears he took over support of Alsystems products

http://www.partis.co.uk/alsystems/main.php
Last edited by james on Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

james wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:23 am Gary Partis might be able to sell you something suitably origional as it appears he took over support of Alsystems products
A dump of the ROM or Modules extracts will be fine, I don't have anything suitable to install it into to perform any testing myself.
james

Post by james »

sirbod wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 am A dump of the ROM or Modules extracts will be fine, I don't have anything suitable to install it into to perform any testing myself.
Bad quoting on my behalf, sorry. Aimed at the OP rather than yourself.
antpant7

Post by antpant7 »

Hello, firstly thanks all for helping...

I downloaded !HForm using the link provided below and copied the contents onto over to my A3000 using my Gotek Drive. I get an an error when I try opening the application. Will get a screenshot and share later today.

I will drop Gary a line and see if I can get my hands on the original software.

Thanks.
IanS

Post by IanS »

HigashiJun wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:46 am Get !HForm and you're done.

That's not helpful, that version of hform will only work with ZIDEFS podules.

(With some minor exceptions) You need to find a formatter for the specific card.
Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 »

There are some .adf images here if you search the page for 'powertec'. No idea if right version for your card

https://arcarc.nl/apps.html
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

IanS wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:05 pm (With some minor exceptions) You need to find a formatter for the specific card.
I think you meant to say... :wink:
(With some minor exceptions) You can use Partition Manager.
If Antony can send me the Modules (the email address is in the PM !Help file), I'll add support for this Podule, although it would be useful if Partition Manager was tried first to see if it's already covered as a generic IDEFS.

Does anyone know if this version of IDEFS supports partitioning?
Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 »

sirbod wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 pm Does anyone know if this version of IDEFS supports partitioning?
It definitely does, with the included formatter. I know I managed to get an image from one of these cards working in Arculator once - think I configured it as ICS IdeA, but I honestly can't remember.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

IanS wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:05 pm
HigashiJun wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:46 am Get !HForm and you're done.

That's not helpful, that version of hform will only work with ZIDEFS podules.

(With some minor exceptions) You need to find a formatter for the specific card.
Sorry, my bad.

I thought that version of !HForm was modified to also be ZIDEFS compatible...

:cry:
HigashiJun
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

Andy1979 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 pm It definitely does, with the included formatter. I know I managed to get an image from one of these cards working in Arculator once - think I configured it as ICS IdeA, but I honestly can't remember.
If it's an ICS clone, PM might detect it as an ICS Podule and support partitioning without me adding specific support. It will come down to how close the SWI's looks to the IDEFS its cloned from.
antpant7

Post by antpant7 »

Andy1979 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:39 pm There are some .adf images here if you search the page for 'powertec'. No idea if right version for your card

https://arcarc.nl/apps.html
Brilliant, thank you so much. Managed to get the software using the link you provided. My 512mb CF card worked first time. I now have the fun task of trying to get software from the PC to the a3000. :)
antpant7

Post by antpant7 »

sirbod wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 pm
IanS wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:05 pm (With some minor exceptions) You need to find a formatter for the specific card.
I think you meant to say... :wink:
(With some minor exceptions) You can use Partition Manager.
If Antony can send me the Modules (the email address is in the PM !Help file), I'll add support for this Podule, although it would be useful if Partition Manager was tried first to see if it's already covered as a generic IDEFS.

Does anyone know if this version of IDEFS supports partitioning?
If you can advise how I extract the modules I will be happy to send them on to you. Thanks.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

antpant7 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:43 pm If you can advise how I extract the modules I will be happy to send them on to you. Thanks.
Thank-you, you can save the ROM via:

Code: Select all

F12
*Podules
*PoduleSave <podule number from the command above> PTIDErom 20000
The hex number at the end is the size of the ROM chip on the Podule - which is a guess, unless you can figure it out from the chip itself. If it fails, but produces a file, fine, just email that to me. If you don't get a file, halve it until you do.

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”