Disabling Firetrack auto-fire?

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

mez

Disabling Firetrack auto-fire?

Post by mez »

I can't find a key for it, is it possible to disable Firetrack's auto-fire? I was curious how far into the game I could get without it.

Plus, I also wanted to rip a clean version of the music for my 8-bit music collection!
Pernod

Re: Disabling Firetrack auto-fire?

Post by Pernod »

mez wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:05 pm I can't find a key for it, is it possible to disable Firetrack's auto-fire? I was curious how far into the game I could get without it.
You can't, it's part of the game. It's loosely based on the arcade game Star Force which also has auto-fire.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
mez

Post by mez »

Oh well, thanks anyway.

I guess I could get disassembling if only I had the time!
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Pernod wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:16 pm You can't, it's part of the game. It's loosely based on the arcade game Star Force which also has auto-fire.
It does but's it much slower than pressing the button. Played that far too much back in the day
David
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Pernod wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:16 pm You can't, it's part of the game. It's loosely based on the arcade game Star Force which also has auto-fire.
Auto-fire is being used to describe two completely different behaviours here.
As it's traditionally defined, yes, Star Force - and many other games - have it. That being the ability to hold down the fire button to achieve automated repeat fire. Would have made more sense to name it "repeat fire" really.

What the OP is refering to in Firetrack is the game's automated weapon behaviour that causes the ship to constantly fire without a key being pressed.
vexorg wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:37 pm It does but's it much slower than pressing the button. Played that far too much back in the day
Star Force's auto-fire comes into its own once you acquire the weapon upgrade - which was always called "the boogie box" by a friend of mine :)
mez wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:05 pm Plus, I also wanted to rip a clean version of the music for my 8-bit music collection!
Did you check out the versions here?
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Cybershark wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:25 pm Star Force's auto-fire comes into its own once you acquire the weapon upgrade - which was always called "the boogie box" by a friend of mine :)
It was such a happy little tune when you get the upgrade
David
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

mez wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:30 pm I guess I could get disassembling if only I had the time!
Meant to say that Level 7 have saved you the trouble. You'll find such a disassembly here:
https://www.level7.org.uk/miscellany/fi ... sembly.txt

The fire routine (which presumably just needs NOP-ing out) is found at &29C2 :)
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

Cybershark wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:14 am The fire routine (which presumably just needs NOP-ing out) is found at &29C2 :)
I wonder if the OP wants to try to play without any weapons firing, or wants to modify the game so that a key has to be pressed to fire?

NOP-ing out the fire routine would suit the former, checking some key for being held would suit the latter.

I'm rubbish at assembly so it would likely be above my pay grade.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

SimonSideburns wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:09 pm I wonder if the OP wants to try to play without any weapons firing, or wants to modify the game so that a key has to be pressed to fire?

NOP-ing out the fire routine would suit the former, checking some key for being held would suit the latter.
Ha, yes, disabling fire entirely might be considered overkill :lol:
SimonSideburns wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:09 pm I'm rubbish at assembly so it would likely be above my pay grade.
Ditto. I went with my NOP plan on two bytes of the code (&2D17/&2D18) and seem to have achieved the inverse of what I hoped for!
The automated firing has not been disabled but holding RETURN now stops the ship firing :lol:

Firetrack_antifire.ssd
(57.5 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
bob147

Post by bob147 »

Make it so you can't just hold down return forever and you've got yourself a new genre, the pacifist shmup. Stop your ship from destroying as many enemies as possible :lol: no I have not thought this through at all!

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”