Another hello from Surrey

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
rasto1968

Another hello from Surrey

Post by rasto1968 »

I found this site after following Kevin Edwards on Twitter, I was lucky enough to receive the "Acorn a world in pixels" book for Christmas and Kevin's twitter handle was mentioned in one of his interviews. As I spent a fair amount of time in the mid-late 80s playing his games on my Electron I was intrigued to find out how lively the Acorn scene is today.

My day job now is web development, but I spent many teenage hours back in the 80s learning how to program my Electron using both BBC Basic and 6502. My Electron (and the Plus 3 I added to it) were bought with paper round and birthday present money and without them I doubt I would be in the job I do today.

I started (but never finished!) writing many games back then, I like the initial "working it all out" phase but then always ended up getting bored of the idea or distracted by the latest game. My all time favourite was of course Elite which I even managed to get working with the Plus 3 but others I remember wasting many hours on include Guardian, Galaforce, CrazyRider and Chuckie Egg.

My day job takes a lot of my programming energy, but I'm quite interested in seeing if I can resurrect my 6502 knowledge and try and get something working on an Electron emulator :) Seeing some of the projects on here is providing some inspiration.
Multiwizard

Re: Another hello from Surrey

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, rasto1968. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Welcome, I see you found your way from Twitter to Stardot, which is an excellent first step 8)
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
rasto1968

Post by rasto1968 »

0xC0DE wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:15 pm Welcome, I see you found your way from Twitter to Stardot, which is an excellent first step 8)
I've been "browsing" through your Electron stuff, very impressive - flicker free Meteors is awesome 😎
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

rasto1968 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:24 pm
0xC0DE wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:15 pm Welcome, I see you found your way from Twitter to Stardot, which is an excellent first step 8)
I've been "browsing" through your Electron stuff, very impressive - flicker free Meteors is awesome 😎
Thanks! I wish you luck (and fun!) with rediscovering 6502 software development :D
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the Forum, rasto1968 . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Welcome to the forum! It's great here :D
rasto1968

Post by rasto1968 »

Thanks for all the welcomes, this looks like a really friendly part of the internet :) I've had a look through some of the threads and there's a huge amount of Acorn knowledge, who would have thought back in the 80s that we would still all be so interested in our Acorns 40+ years later!

Return to “introduce yourself”