High Score Challenge - S22 - Round 7 - Challenger

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
Rod C

Re: High Score Challenge - S22 - Round 7 - Challenger

Post by Rod C »

Venger wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:51 pm My guess is that it must be to do with the letters that fly around occasionally (after all, they do make up the word "WARP"). I've never been able to collect them all though and I don't think you can shoot them. Am I right?
Yep, that's it! Be careful what you wish for, though. It's a hell of a one-sided dogfight.

KarateEd wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:01 pm I have a feeling you have to 'run over them' in the proper order? I didn't see anything in the instructions that said what you do.
Not sure about that, Ed. Maybe you have to hold your breath at the same time. At least, I think that's what I was doing. :lol:
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Had a pretty good run and was doing OK in level 4 with enough fuel to get around a bit more. Perhaps I should have kept my head and gone a bit more carefully, but I was going flat out trying to get as many points as possible, thinking that I probably wouldn't finish the level.

16480 scene.PNG
Venger

Post by Venger »

Got a bit further into level 4 but the twitchiness eventually killed me near the end of the level. This could've been a much better game if it wasn't spoilt by the inconsistent control system.
Attachments
Chall4.png
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Venger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm Got a bit further into level 4 but the twitchiness eventually killed me near the end of the level. This could've been a much better game if it wasn't spoilt by the inconsistent control system.
Making a short move forward to get nose up to a wall is so twitchy it creates a bit of a mental block too. Sometimes I go back and forward a few times to feel a bit more fluid. I was wondering if the keys on my notebook don't suit this game, so I got out my original BBC and really enjoyed playing it on that. It's quite a different experience with the keys clacking and rattling away and the twitchy moves seemed a little easier.

When the Beeb started acting up I went back to the notebook and suddenly everything was going great. I got the warp on level 2 and managed to get through the dogfight then died on level 7.

27915.PNG
Venger

Post by Venger »

I finally managed to beat the 4th level but it was extremely tight. Got to the 7th level before dying to twitchiness. I did get to knock John W down to the mere mortals though.
Attachments
Chall5.png
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Venger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm This could've been a much better game if it wasn't spoilt by the inconsistent control system.
It's definitely got something to it and one can't help but wonder what a more professionally coded version would've been like.
I did have a few goes last week but, as with everyone else, I didn't really get on with the overresponsive controls.

Score: 6930

challenger.jpg
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

Not had a lot of time to play this one - but managed to nearly complete all of Level 2 and get a better score.

It's not a bad little game - with a bit of fine tuning, better collision and controls could be really decent budget game - and a lot better than some of the ones I bought.
Attachments
Screen11.jpg
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

Little bit better - finally saw level 3 - with it's horrible colour scheme!
Attachments
Screen131.jpg
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Marginally better....now I know where the first 2 fuel pods are on level 4 I may be able to improve on this.
Challenger-7.png
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

High Score Tables Updated for Season 22, Round Seven......

This is a new game to me and I guess a few others too. It's not a bad game once you get onto some of it's quirks. With a little more diligence it could have been a very good game but them's the breaks.

Once again, we have a winner and Venger is back. He had severe competition in this game from Rod C., both of whom had awesome scores but Venger won out in the end. It was really fun watching the competition between these two throughout the couple of weeks. Congratulations on an excellent score (another couple of really crazy scores for this game) and win Venger. You outstripped us again by quite a bit in this one. =D> =D>

On a side note I'd like to thank all those who played this round. We had 8 playing this game this round so.....Thank you!!! It seems we are mostly averaging out at 11 so this participation is way below average.

As usual please check to ensure I've not missed anyone's scores because it's easy to miss things on this and I really don't want to do that for anyone's hard earned score.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Just remembered about getting the warp letters;
KarateEd wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:01 pm I have a feeling you have to 'run over them' in the proper order? I didn't see anything in the instructions that said what you do.
Yes, Ed, you are correct. I played several games where I focussed on chasing down the letters and you have to catch them in order W, A, R, P. Each time you get the next one in sequence there is a reward sound. The letters are pretty tricky though. After you get W, A makes itself very scarce while the other letters come and pester you and even sometimes run into you which spoils the sequence. It's a nice little game within the game to chase the letters without crashing into a hill or a rocket. If you fly very fast through the scenery, very few rockets are triggered though.

The dogfight challenge will give you the chance to score lots of kill points. I needed the INVISO function for protection through the first few seconds of enemy onslaught.
Dogfight.PNG
After that you can settle into a rhythm and work on a strategy to wipe out the oncoming waves but these enemies are more ordered in their movements and don't directly target you.

What a good game but a real shame about the twitchiness! Well, that's already been said... a few times. #-o :lol:

Great win, Venger! =D>

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”