Acorn A3000

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
drewdavis

Acorn A3000

Post by drewdavis »

Hello,

I wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to use the floppy drive emulator with the Acorn/BBC A3000 Archimedes.

The A3000 does have a 34 pin floppy drive which I believe is pin compatible with PC floppies. Indeed there is at least one PC emulator that runs on the machine which boots DOS from a PC floppy.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Ukwebb

Re: Acorn A3000

Post by Ukwebb »

A3000 isn't 8 bit ;)
but yes it can use a gotek. In fact my a3000 has a gotek with flashfloppy and the original floppy drive in at the same time :)
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

(I've moved this Topic from 8-bit Acorn Hardware to 32-bit Acorn Hardware)
philpem

Post by philpem »

drewdavis wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:41 am Hello,

I wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to use the floppy drive emulator with the Acorn/BBC A3000 Archimedes.

The A3000 does have a 34 pin floppy drive which I believe is pin compatible with PC floppies. Indeed there is at least one PC emulator that runs on the machine which boots DOS from a PC floppy.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards
It is, but the A3000 interface isn't compatible with PC drives without some modifications to the drive and/or the floppy cable. With a Gotek the situation is much better.

You'll want to install the FlashFloppy firmware (if it doesn't come with it already) and configure it (in FF.CFG) for an Acorn RISC system, with a Shugart-type disk drive. Jumpers should be set for drive select zero (DS0).

After that you should be able to "just" load ADFs and HFEs from the USB stick.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
OllieP

Post by OllieP »

So I have managed to just about resurrect an A3000. I installed a Gotek but it doesn’t work. Each time I click on the drive icon, i get a drive empty error. I believe I have the correct FF.CFG file and jumper S0 set, the Gotek worked fine in an A3020 (before it died - the A3020). I tried the Gotek from my A440, same issue. I tried a real floppy drive and that works fine.

Is there something additional that needs to be done for an A3000?

Interface=shugart
Host=acorn

Jumper S0 set

800K ADF images

I guess I haven’t checked the version of flash floppy installed but since the drives work on other machines I assume this is ok.
philpem

Post by philpem »

The A3000 requires a Ready signal - the Gotek may need configuring for that. Alas I can't remember the magic incantation off hand, but it should be mentioned in the notes in the FF.CFG, or the Flashfloppy documentation.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
OllieP

Post by OllieP »

Thanks, I’ll check 🤞🏻

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”