How do you search for Acorn 'stuff' on eBay?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
daveejhitchins

How do you search for Acorn 'stuff' on eBay?

Post by daveejhitchins »

I'm just starting to create an entry on eBay and want to use variations. However, I usually list in:

Electronics > Computers/Tablets & Networking > Vintage Computing > Vintage Parts & Accessories

But that category doesn't allow variations. Instead I'm going to list under:

1980s > Collectables > Vintage & Retro Collectables

So, question: does anyone actually search under a category?

Thanks - Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
1024MAK

Re: How do you search for Acorn 'stuff' on eBay?

Post by 1024MAK »

Never, I normally just search using key words, like "Acorn Electron". Then filter by "UK only". Maybe also use a price range filter.

Mark
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

I use three searches, all set to UK, Vintage Computing and filtered for newly listed.

1. Acorn

2. BBC Computer

3. BBC micro

I discovered I had to use three because some sellers use 'Acorn Computer', others 'BBC Computer' and still others 'BBC micro'. These searches pull out almost every combination used, eg. BBC Microcomputer. Electron gear usually comes up under the Acorn search.

Sometimes something does get missed because the description/keywords are strange.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Thanks John and Mark . . . But all for nought!

I started the listing and found adding the variations confusing! It turns out what I wanted to do perhaps isn't covered by variations - if it is, I'm not sure how to do it! All the YouTube videos I've watched are geared around cloths.

I'll have a look at a few more videos and see if I can work it out . . .

But I think I was right in that people don't search under category!

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

In fact the eBay category can be a pain the the rear, sometimes when searching for electronic parts, eBay decides what I want is a car part and wants me to enter my car details :twisted: It's then a pain because its hard to escape the car category...

Mark
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I never search by category, just keywords.

What do you mean by variations?
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

i tend to not search at all and just look through the complete listings under vintage computers.
You'd be amazed of the number of typos , and even significantly lacking details some people put their listings under
even complete generic headings like "retro computer and tapes"!
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 pm I never search by category, just keywords.

What do you mean by variations?
It's where you can list an item (best to think of a T shirt) that has different colours and sizes.

What I'd like to do is present the New Plus 1 with different options e.g. The New Plus 1 on its own or with a printed User Guide - Just the built and tested PCB on it own or with a printed User guide and the New Plus 1 with an AP6 fitted and with the option of a Printed User Guide. The Printed User Guide adds £9 to the cost!

But, this constitutes 3 different 'base' units which I don't think variations support.

I'm going to try again, today with the PCB only and have variations of: with a UG - with Case - with case and UG - with AP6 fitted - with a case and AP6 fitted . . . . . and so on! ends up with, probably - too many options! Might miss the UG out - that would help!

Dave H.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Ah! That makes sense! Only having sold (a lot of) refurbished one-offs I have never had to use variations.
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
growntree

Post by growntree »

I would have 3 separate listings that all had a variation of user guide or no user guide and then some text mentioning the other two listings like retroclinic does (eg ide multios listing says see my other listing for the scsi version).

For searching, I do both. Sometimes I just search for keywords, other times I go to the category to see what weird and wonderful things people have listed in there.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Well . . . I've gone for Variations in Collectables & Art, Collectables, Vintage & Retro Collectables, 1980s . . .

Think it's turned out OK?

Of course, anyone wanting anything can just contact me here :D

Dave H.

Return to “off-topic”