Moving house bye bye Electron

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Gilesey

Moving house bye bye Electron

Post by Gilesey »

Hey all,

We are downsizing, and the Electron I refurbished and all its many magazines, slogger rombox with acornsoft View are weighing me down.
Includes advanced user guides, assembly language course, a bunch of games (nothing rare) , nearly every electron user guide except the first few! (No tape or disk drive tho)

Is it worth me selling the lot on eBay or is it really not worth it?

If it’s not worth much more than £30 or so I’ll be happy to donate to a collector/enthusiast here.
tnash

Re: Moving house bye bye Electron

Post by tnash »

I'd happily take it off your hands and give it a good home. Deoends where you are as there may be someone nearer and/or more deserving?
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

Gilesey wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:47 pm£30
Pretty sure you can get more than this for it, buddy.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Sell it on this forum, and get a reasonable price and a good home for it.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

This items sounds similar, and sold for over £150:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266703673292

Dave
Gilesey

Post by Gilesey »

Cool, more than I thought. I’m based in York, so would rather if there’s anyone in the area then we can save a lot on postage!
Those magazines are heavy.
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

Gilesey wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:52 pm Cool, more than I thought. I’m based in York, so would rather if there’s anyone in the area then we can save a lot on postage!
There is a dedicated section of the forum for selling things https://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=8 there are several members on the lookout for an Electron. If you package things well, the machine should survive a cheaper courier like Evri (Hermes) and the postage isn't huge for heavy packages.
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

Gilesey wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:52 pm Cool, more than I thought. I’m based in York, so would rather if there’s anyone in the area then we can save a lot on postage!
Hi, I'm in Wakefield so about 20 mins from york and would love to give it a new home. Let me know :)
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
Gilesey

Post by Gilesey »

maniacminer wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:07 pm
There is a dedicated section of the forum for selling things https://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=8 there are several members on the lookout for an Electron. If you package things well, the machine should survive a cheaper courier like Evri (Hermes) and the postage isn't huge for heavy packages.
Brill; thanks I was struggling to find the right place.
On a side note, I’ve just discovered my dad carefully kept the first few volumes of Electron User in sleeves.
And he does have Vol 1 No 1!!
Also has the two mistakenly marked Vol 2 number 9s, one of which should have been No 10
Gilesey

Post by Gilesey »

I guess I better spark the old lady up again to make sure she works - shame I don't have a tape drive with interface to actually test the games.
I remember the last time I tried tuning into my big Samsung TV there was some interference, or the TV was struggling to find the right frequency, is that normal?
I did hook up to the other port, but I'm not sure its colours were right, but I believe that can be solved with some simple soldering.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Not all modern TVs can cope with the RF/UHF/aerial outputs from 1980s computers. The analogue modulators don't operate on the exact (correct) frequencies, just in the 'ball park'. Typically somewhere between channel 35 and channel 37.

Auto tune systems often fail to find the signal, hence you will need to manually tune, and then fine tune if your TV offers this.

The composite video output (on the phono connector) should work fine with a TV that has a composite video input (yellow connector). But by default, the output is grey scale without colour.

The best output is the RGB DIN socket. But you would need to buy or make up a suitable cable to connect to a RGB capable SCART socket. And not all TVs will switch to RGB mode and lock on to the signal.

Mark
Gilesey

Post by Gilesey »

Thanks for the detailed reply! Much appreciated.
The picture was much more stable using the monochrome composite.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”