Emulator for BCPL Rom Support.

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
OpCode

Emulator for BCPL Rom Support.

Post by OpCode »

Hi,
I'm new to the from so excuse the ignorance.
I've been thinking of getting back into 8bit coding for. bit of fun.
40 years ago I had a BBC B with quite a few sideways roms, different bits and pieces.
If I was interested in setting up say the BCPL rom and its software would that run ok in an emulator and is that possible for a Mac host?
Which emulator would you guys recommend for Mac, Mame? Is it straightforward to setup on a Mac without any naughty behaviour?
Thanks!
james

Re: Emulator for BCPL Rom Support.

Post by james »

I can’t say it’s the best or worst, but I happily use MAME on my Mac, conveniently installed with Homebrew

And there’s a lovely remastered BCPL manual, plus all the software on the thread BCPL for the BBC Microcomputer [Remastered PDF]
scruss

Post by scruss »

Tom Seddon's b2 emulator runs decently on a Mac, and supports different configurations with ROMs.
gordonDrogon

Post by gordonDrogon »

Hope you get BCPL going - you might just be the 3rd person in the world to currently be writing BCPL :-)

I did a lot of BCPL in the 80s on Beebs and re-kindled my interest when I built my own 6502 SBC and got BCPL to run under my own Acorn MOS compatible (mostly) OS for it. (Good enough to run BBC Basic)

I then foolishly built a 65816 SBC then even more foolishly went down the "how hard can it be to get BCPL going on this" route and wrote a CINTCODE VM for it, then my own OS written in BCPL for it... I wasted a lot of braincells on the '816 and I do not recommend it to anyone... However it's there and it works and I have vague thoughts about making it all run on a Beeb under PiTube...

Interested to know what you get up with with BCPL though.

Cheers,

-Gordon
OpCode

Post by OpCode »

Thanks for all the info guys!
Will take a look at this and hopefully get something up and running :)
OpCode

Post by OpCode »

gordonDrogon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:09 pm Hope you get BCPL going - you might just be the 3rd person in the world to currently be writing BCPL :-)

I did a lot of BCPL in the 80s on Beebs and re-kindled my interest when I built my own 6502 SBC and got BCPL to run under my own Acorn MOS compatible (mostly) OS for it. (Good enough to run BBC Basic)

I then foolishly built a 65816 SBC then even more foolishly went down the "how hard can it be to get BCPL going on this" route and wrote a CINTCODE VM for it, then my own OS written in BCPL for it... I wasted a lot of braincells on the '816 and I do not recommend it to anyone... However it's there and it works and I have vague thoughts about making it all run on a Beeb under PiTube...

Interested to know what you get up with with BCPL though.

Cheers,

-Gordon
Amazing!

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”