BOOKING THREAD: ABUG South, 12-14 April, 2024 - FULLY BOOKED

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
colinhoad

Re: BOOKING THREAD: ABUG South, 12-14 April, 2024 - NOW FULL, WAITLIST OPEN

Post by colinhoad »

Great idea, Kieran!

As for me, I'll be bringing:
  • BBC Model B + fully loaded Gotek + joystick
  • Acorn Electron + Plus1 + ANF03 tape drive + several cartridges/tapes
  • Z88 + Beeb link cable
  • Selection of Psions, including an original Acorn Pocketbook I
As for projects, I'm bringing my Video NuLA and 128K ROM Boobip kits that I've yet to install into my Beeb, hoping to get some help if I get stuck! Other than that I'll be tinkering away at my usual BASIC and 6502 software projects/learning... might want to pick a few brains / bug people with questions on that score :D That and playing some games (badly!)

I'd also like to record some footage of the event to turn into a video for my channel later on, ideally interview a few people about their hardware/projects as well. If anyone would prefer not to be filmed, please just say!
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

good idea kieran, im getting very excited for my first abug!
ill be bringing my bbc model b, my electron and microvitec cub.
ill also be brining a disk drive, disks, some tapes (foc for anyone who wants them (yay!)), manuals etc.
i have a couple of things i would hopefully like to sort out. i have a ? and 5 key that are iffy on my electron (? key 9/10 presses will work, 5 key 1 out of 10 presses will work. ive tried all normal methods to get working reliably so would be great if anyone could help with that? my beeb also has a couple of keys, while fully working, are scratchy/squeaky (tried wd40 to fix). finally my cub has a rgb tint and needs degaussing, @daveejhitchens hopefully bringing degaussing tool? if anyone can help that would be amazing!

i would also love help with programming, with either basic or assembly as i know there are many experts coming along.
finally, i would just love to chat to fellow enthuseasts, and learn about cool acorn kit!

if anyone can help with these that would be much appreciated! :D
@colinhoad im perfectly happy to be recorded, as i very much enjoy your videos.

im counting down the days until abug, thanks for organising kieran!
have a good day everyone :)
oh, and does anyone have any advice to keep cubs safe during transport? thanks!
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
NickLuvsRetro

Re: BOOKING THREAD: ABUG South, 12-14 April, 2024 - ONE SPACE AVAILABLE

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

I'll be bringing:
  • A5000 Alpha
    FlatScreen
    GBS-C (and OSSC just in case)
I had thought to bring the A3020 but it's in need of some TLC and when I get there on Saturday it might be premium table space at that point.

I'll probably be working on a special version of my Midwinter terrain engine for A5k. Might resurrect the PowerMonger project as well. Various bits of RISCOS tinkering I should think. Might want to look into some sound programming with QTM if steve3000 and others are available to offer some help if I get stuck.

I'll bring my DabHand ASM reference book as well in case @Cruxinc and others want to have a flick through it or have it to hand.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Cruxinc wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:52 pm oh, and does anyone have any advice to keep cubs safe during transport? thanks!
I tend to wrap up CRTs in a blanket then sit them on the back seat of the car, with the screen facing into the seat (so the heavy part is at the back), then put the seat belt around the whole thing and buckle up to stop it moving. Oh, and drive carefully! :wink:
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I'm planning to bring Master 128 (probably Station 112, which was dead at the last Camberley ABug I attended, but is now very much alive), Ferguson TV and Pi SCSI as well as SCSI2SD which I promised to have a look at over Easter but hasn't happened yet.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

@daveejhitchens hopefully bringing degaussing tool?
Will do.
'Scope, Electron with monitor - Along with Mark Hillier, we'll be testing our New Plus 2. Two cartridge slots 6/7 & 14/15 - ROM 4 (with disable for Acorn Plus 3) and ROM 5 which will have 8 banks of 16K switchable with *AQRPAGE <#>

Also be trying to finish the CPLD code for the new AP3-4 (started at the last ABUG :oops: )

And a Music 500 to see if anyone can get some sound out of it . . .

Oh! and a table . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

I'll be bringing a B+ 128 with my games (and others) on it - including Ghostbusters and a flat screen that will listen to it. No specific projects on the go but looking to meet up with people. Also quite happy to talk about how I go about making my games.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

I'm bringing 2 Electrons with many games, including most of my own games and demos. A laptop for software development, which I usually don't find time for at an ABUG meeting :lol: . I'm interested in what other people are working on, especially new software and hardware for the Electron. And just like Chris, very happy to talk about programming, game dev and other geeky things :D
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
Pullance

Post by Pullance »

Can you put me down for all 3 days please!

Not sure what to bring (or do) yet, but I live locally so can once I figure it out.
james

Re: BOOKING THREAD: ABUG South, 12-14 April, 2024 - FULLY BOOKED

Post by james »

Hi. I live locally but have a busy weekend ahead. If I get a chance, is it ok to pop in? Or is it necessary to book / register first?
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

james wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:21 am Hi. I live locally but have a busy weekend ahead. If I get a chance, is it ok to pop in? Or is it necessary to book / register first?
Just pop-in . . . We welcome almost anyone 8) - Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

james wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:21 am Hi. I live locally but have a busy weekend ahead. If I get a chance, is it ok to pop in? Or is it necessary to book / register first?
Hi James, if you don’t need a table then you are more than welcome to just pop in to see what’s going on. Saturday is going to be a very busy day it looks like!!
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
james

Post by james »

kieranhj wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:10 am Hi James, if you don’t need a table then you are more than welcome to just pop in to see what’s going on. Saturday is going to be a very busy day it looks like!!
Thanks both. I was just thinking of bringing myself; the Master is pretty ordinary but dragging it and the living room telly in might be problematic.
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Is there anyone who might be able to help me repair an AKF50? It does display an image but it goes all crackly when using the contrast and brightness adjustment dials. If not then I’ll leave it at home.

I’ll be bringing a Master 128, TV, Teletext adapter (the Acorn cheese wedge… unless I discover it doesn’t work!), a floppy drive or two, greaseweazle, and a ROM imager/burner … and a laptop for coding.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Right I'll be bringing.....

My normal scope, soldering kit and tools etc.
My box of Atom stuff, including a RAMROM & AtoMMC to fit to Jarod's Atom
My Electron + Addons.
Me and My laptop + device programmers / readers.
A Slogger ROMBox Plus for Cruxinc.

Cheers.

Phill.
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

thanks too everyone who replied, its much appreciated :)
what time should i aim to get there on saturday as i want to make the most of it but also not get there TOO early...
thanks a lot! :)
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
rasto1968

Post by rasto1968 »

daveejhitchins wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:22 am
Just pop-in . . . We welcome almost anyone 8) - Dave H.
I'm quite local too (Woking), I might be able to pop in on Saturday.
Rob
danrolfe

Post by danrolfe »

This will be my second ABUG and I will be bringing

My BBC B, with IDE CF CARD and Sd2Beeb. I plan to set up a PiTubeDirect delivered from Mark Haysman this week, and also maybe see if I can pick any brains on how to rescue things from the Greazeweazle images Damian did for me of my damaged floppy images from the 80s.

My A3000, fixed during and since the last ABUG South. I would like to see what else I can do with the PiEconetBridge I got for it since last time, and seek advice on the error messages I'm getting when trying to install some software. I'm very new to RiscOS.

I will also bring my prototype mini-Beeb (Raspberry Pi + 3.5" monitor), inspired by Colin Hoad's recent YouTube video about getting the Pi Pico Beeb emulator working on a Pi. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LcKiSkHvBHo.

Oh, and a CRT each for the proper machines. And maybe my PiStormed Amiga 1200 and mini-Amiga if I have time and space.
Last edited by danrolfe on Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Test table to make sure Station 112 still works after being extracted from its usual environs:
IMG_9239.JPG
sdsolle

Post by sdsolle »

I'll be bringing …

- Soldering iron
- BBC B (with dodgy PSU caps)
- B+ (with nicely repaired PSU
- A3010 (with mezzanine board!!)
- 14" CRT telly
- 4:3 LCD
- Extension lead
- BeebSCSI

Before I order PSU caps, does anyone have any spare?
Or will anyone want any if I order five of each from RS?
Sean.
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

sdsolle wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:21 pm - Extension lead
Good point, I should have said I'll also be bringing a six-socket 3m extension lead with a further four USB slots and one USB-C slot.
danrolfe

Post by danrolfe »

I'm looking forward to meeting/catching up with everyone. I have a decent table which I will bring. I'm planning to arrive early tomorrow afternoon. From when it is ok to be there?

Dan
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify the availability questions: we actually have the room from late morning on Friday, however I won't be able to get there until about 1pm. If any of the regulars arrive before me (DaveH!) then please start setting up the available tables in the usual manner.

We have a strict midnight curfew each evening (although the staff normally start making noises from about 11.30pm as they are keen to go home...) and in the morning you're welcome to get back into the room right after breakfast. For Cruxinc I'd suggest any time from 9am on Saturday morning will be fine, depending on how eager you are and how far you have to travel!

We normally start packing up after lunch on Sunday, with a view to clear the room by 3pm or so at the latest. Everyone's help to break down the tables and stack them ready for the staff to put back into storage will be very much appreciated.

baz4096 has very kindly offered to make members name badges again this year, so I will bring those along for folks to help introduce the newer and more established visitors. =D>

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask them on the thread. We'll also take some photos during the weekend to post here. :)
Last edited by kieranhj on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tricky

Post by tricky »

WARNING
Carol brought me a lovely present home a week and a half ago, a cold, negative for COVID!
The colds are gone, although mine turned into tonsillitis but some antibiotics have seen that off!
We will be bringing our masks and some spare COVID tests if anyone wants one.
Richard
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

thanks for the info, i will definitely get there for 9 :)
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

kieranhj wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:06 pm Thanks everyone. Just to clarify the availability questions: we actually have the room from late morning on Friday, however I won't be able to get there until about 1pm. If any of the regulars arrive before me (DaveH!) then please start setting up the available tables in the usual manner.
I'll be supervising the table setting-up this time - hurt my back :? - Dave H.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I'll be along some time today. I'll probably bring my A3000 with PiEconetBridge, Master 128 and Music 5000, and Electron with ElkSD64, as well as my laptop to do some work on BeebEm.
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Breakfast at Maccies - now for the long trip to the Ely . . . Dave H.
Prime

Post by Prime »

daveejhitchins wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:35 am Breakfast at Maccies - now for the long trip to the Ely . . . Dave H.
I'll most probably have luch there (well at the Didcot one), on the way down the A34 later today.

Cheers.

Phill.
tricky

Post by tricky »

As the misses only has three bags lined up, I think our brekkie stop will be much later ;)

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”