BOOKING THREAD: ABUG South, 12-14 April, 2024 - FULLY BOOKED

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
colinhoad

Re: BOOKING THREAD: ABUG South, 12-14 April, 2024 - FULLY BOOKED

Post by colinhoad »

I'm home as well, had a fantastic time at my first ever in-person ABUG, thanks so much to Kieran for organising - and to everyone else who I got to meet and chat to, it was the best part about the whole event. So many interesting conversations and insights into people's projects. Thanks also to Chris M for providing some extra unexpected (but very needed) help with my Boobip kit! I'm now full of enthusiasm for more Beeb and Elk projects at home... until work gets in the way again on Monday :lol:
20240413_142931.jpg
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Beebmaster (Ian) is the man that knows (almost) everything about Econet, hence is the person to ask for most Econet questions.

On the general question of filing systems, with a BBC B, the order the ROMs (EPROMs) are fitted determines which one the system uses after power up. There is provision on the keyboard PCB to fit links or DIP switches that provide start up options, one of which is to use Econet (or not) I think (this is if a ROM that contains both DFS and NFS is fitted).

Also, you could just remove the Econet ROM chip for now.

Mark
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Back to Manchester now for an overnight stop. Had a great time at the ABug, meeting faces new, old and even young for once!
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Cruxinc wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:38 pm ahh, thank you so much! just wondering, as econet is no use to me atm(until i get an archie, that is!), is there anyway to set priority to disk interface over econet? thanks!
Generally the priority of ROMs in a BBC B is from right to left in the ROM sockets. However, DNFS is slightly special as it contains Acorn DFS 1.20 as well as NFS 3.60 in the same chip, so there is a way to set the priority between the two in the ROM.

This is done by the setting of link 1 on the keyboard PCB links. With a DIP switch fitted, which I know you have, setting the switch for link 1 to ON prioritises NFS over DFS within the DNFS ROM. For DFS priority, set the switch to OFF.
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

BeebMaster wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:45 pm
Cruxinc wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:38 pm ahh, thank you so much! just wondering, as econet is no use to me atm(until i get an archie, that is!), is there anyway to set priority to disk interface over econet? thanks!
Generally the priority of ROMs in a BBC B is from right to left in the ROM sockets. However, DNFS is slightly special as it contains Acorn DFS 1.20 as well as NFS 3.60 in the same chip, so there is a way to set the priority between the two in the ROM.

This is done by the setting of link 1 on the keyboard PCB links. With a DIP switch fitted, which I know you have, setting the switch for link 1 to ON prioritises NFS over DFS within the DNFS ROM. For DFS priority, set the switch to OFF.
interesting, i read about that on your website and tried it to no avail...
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

I had a great time. And established that my Teletext adapter works and can receive teletext, which was a pleasant surprise. Thanks to Kieran for organising it!
helpful

Post by helpful »

Good to see everyone, old and new. Particularly fun to meet Elliot and his enthusiasm for all our favourite systems that were made before he was born!

And in a break with tradition I even got something productive done, producing a short presentation about the RiscPC's early development for tonight's ROUGOL meeting. I even did it on RISC OS for proper authenticity :-)
Cruxinc wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:38 pm as econet is no use to me atm(until i get an archie, that is!), is there anyway to set priority to disk interface over econet? thanks!
Not a fully automatic selection, but you can hold D down when you switch on or press Break (hold A for ADFS, M for MMFS, T for tape, there's probably others). A useful trick I also taught to Dan this weekend!

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
james

Post by james »

VectorEyes wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:56 pm I had a great time. And established that my Teletext adapter works and can receive teletext, which was a pleasant surprise. Thanks to Kieran for organising it!
The teletext adapter was nostalgic and ingenious in its method of gathering source data for retransmission as teletext.

Regarding F-keys for the 4 coloured links, I found them documented in both copies of the Advanced Teletext System User Guides over at http://8bs.com/othrdnld/manuals/hardwarebbcseries.shtml.

Or just 1,2,3,4 [return] if I read the original Acorn teletext manual aright http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... stemUG.pdf

Apologies if you knew this already.
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

z0m8ied0g wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:37 pm IMG20240414143301.jpg

Who's is this? Think it belongs to the young lad who was sat next to me.
yes, they are mine, do you happen to know if anyone took them home? thanks :)
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
shifters74

Post by shifters74 »

Thanks for the picture posts - looks like every one had fun - must try and make the next one!!

With regard to econet, try Ken Lowe for parts as well (on slashdot) - as he has done a lot recently with hubs, clocks etc!

Both BeebMaster and KenLowe are both very helpful with econet questions when your a noob (I now have 9 econet BBC's, 2 masters and the PC as well - ahem!!)

cheers

Shifters
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Reflections on the ABUG... and an interview with Elliot!

https://youtu.be/0d2sXa_ysRk
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

friesian7 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:19 pm 20240414_150929.jpg

He's the last man standing again... Well sitting actually.
There I was . . . enjoying myself . . . looked-up . . . everyone gone . . . :lol:

Had a great time. Spent Saturday with Mark Hillier (mark71) programming PLDs for the Plus 2 we're developing and, we have it working. 3 PLDs (22V10) and confident that we can also use the first two as the core for the Plus 1, when we run-out of current PCBs. The 3rd PLD will be reprogrammed to address the various I/Os. Resulting in 6 PLDs for a Plus 1 and Plus 2 giving 4 x cartridge sockets, 3 ROMs (1 with 8 x 16K banks), Analogue port, Digital port and Printer port.

Also did some more work on the AP3-4 in Xilinx schematic entry. I'm thinking this is almost ready for a trial compile . . .

Despite a 'cold' and painful back, had a brilliant weekend.

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
Pullance

Post by Pullance »

Thank you Kieran for organising and thank you to everyone who shared their time to show me all the amazing kit and projects they are working on.

I had a great time!
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'm glad you all had a great time!

Big thanks to friesian7 (Jarod), Pullance (Paul) and sbadger (Stew) and everyone else for helping to setup the tables on Friday afternoon, and all those that helped break them down and put things away on Sunday. Thanks to Emma for wrangling the dinner sittings and nagging everyone to put their food orders in! Also thanks again to sbadger (Stew) for the CostCo run to procure our epic table of drinks and snacks for the weekend.

I have a date confirmed with The Ely for our next event \:D/ so I'll start a new 'save the date' thread. In the meantime, if you have any feedback on the organisation of the weekend and/or suggestions for next time, then I'd be very happy to hear them. :)
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
rasto1968

Post by rasto1968 »

Thank you Kieran for the meet & greet on Saturday, I'm not usually comfortable meeting new people but your welcome at the door really helped and the rest of the morning flew by for me :) I will keep an eye out for the next meeting and will put aside more than just a morning.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Back from ABUG and a short holiday in the UK, both of which were great! I'd like to thank everyone who made this possible and especially Kieran for organising it! =D>
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

0xC0DE wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:33 pm Back from ABUG and a short holiday in the UK, both of which were great! I'd like to thank everyone who made this possible and especially Kieran for organising it! =D>
What . . . You didn't catch Covid this time? Things are looking-up :D - Davev H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

daveejhitchins wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:55 pm What . . . You didn't catch Covid this time? Things are looking-up :D - Davev H.
Wellll... I can't pinpoint it to the ABUG weekend and I haven't tested for Covid, but I had (and still have) a more than mild cold the whole vacation week after that... :shock:
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

0xC0DE wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:42 pm
daveejhitchins wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:55 pm What . . . You didn't catch Covid this time? Things are looking-up :D - Davev H.
Wellll... I can't pinpoint it to the ABUG weekend and I haven't tested for Covid, but I had (and still have) a more than mild cold the whole vacation week after that... :shock:
8-[ Hope that wasn't from me? I tried real hard to minimise passing on my cold . . . Dave H.
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

z0m8ied0g wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:37 pm IMG20240414143301.jpg

Who's is this? Think it belongs to the young lad who was sat next to me.
hi there hope you are well, would it be possible to get these back? thanks a lot :)
z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g »

Yep send me over your address and I'll post them to you.
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

z0m8ied0g wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:38 pm Yep send me over your address and I'll post them to you.
I’ve dropped you a PM to start the ball rolling with this.

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”