A3000 blueSCSI install with Linginuity SCSI adapter

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
jum

A3000 blueSCSI install with Linginuity SCSI adapter

Post by jum »

Setting up blueSCSI with Linginuity SCSI card on A3000

I've had an A3000 for a few years now, and a friend gave/traded me a SCSI adapter, so I thought it would be a good challenge to get a blueSCSI device working on my A3000, also make it a bit more convenient to use. Well it was a fair challenge, so I'm documenting the process to get it working here, so others may not have to waste all the time I did to get it working.

Required:
- blueSCSI V1 (STM32 microcontroller)
- With the 25-pin D Connecter option
- SD card, formatted exFAT, with blank drive image "HD40_512_Acorn blank.hda" (50MB)
- Linginuity SCSI Interface Card (issue 2 with the 25pin D connector)
- Acorn SCSIDM application (Acorn_SCSIDM.arc) (from here: https://chrisacorns.computinghistory.or ... tware.html )

References:
- Linginuity_SCSIInstall.pdf ("Installation instructions for the Lingenuity SCSI Interface card")
- Acorn_SCSISExpCardUG.pdf ("SCSI Expansion card user guide")
- https://github.com/erichelgeson/BlueSCSI/wiki/SD-Cards

Procedure:
- Format blueSCSI microSD card using the SD Association "SD Card Formatter Utility" ( www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ )
- see info on https://github.com/erichelgeson/BlueSCSI/wiki/SD-Cards
- Then format the microSD card to exFAT, using Windows format or whatever.
- Copy your blueSCSI drive image ("HD40_512_Acorn blank.hda" ?) to the microSD card, and put the micsoSD card in the blueSCSI.
- Note that "HD40_512" prefix tells blueSCSIS that this drive has SCSI id = 4, and block size = 512
- Power off your A3000, then connect the blueSCSI to the Linginuity card, and plug the Linginuity card into your A3000.
- Power on your A3000
- From the RISCOS Desktop, press F12 to get to the "*" prompt
- Type: devices
- You should see the Linginuity card listed as "Host" on SCSI id 7
- You should see the blueSCSI drive listed as "Direct-Access", Product = "QUANTUM", on SCSI id 4.
- Type: configure SCSIFSLink 4 04
- Type: configure SCSIFSDirCache 8k
- Type: configure SCSIFSDrive 4
- Type: status
- Check that the listed settings for SCSIFSLink etc are correct
- Save the settings to the CMOS using Control-Break key combo
- Run the SCSIDM utility (from a floppy drive or a Gotek drive)
- At the "SCSIDM>" prompt, type: device 4
- You should see "Device identifies as QUANTUM..."
- Type: format
- Keep the existing bad block list? >yes
- Interleave? (1) >1
- The format should be almost instant
- Type: verify
- No. of iterations? (1) >1
- Reassign bad blocks (yes)? >yes
- The verify should also be almost instant
- Type: section
- Do you want a RISC iX partition? >no
- Type: quit
- At this point, the SCSI drive icon should be visible in the icon panel at the bottom of the screen, and clicking on the icon should open up a folder window.

Notes: This procedure uses the Linginuity module settings to *configure the device, but since I couldn't get the Linginuity utilities to run properly, I used the SCSIDM utility to format and section the drive.

(The Linginuity_SCSIUtils.arc file that I have is not a valid ArcFS file, but it can be opened with WinRAR/WinZip on Windows. However the files in the archive will lose all their RISCOS type and access settings. I have an actual Linginuity SCSI Utils disc, will maybe convert it to correct ArcFS .arc file).

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”