Online Banking on PC vs Telephone

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
maniacminer

Re: Online Banking on PC vs Telephone

Post by maniacminer »

I definitely prefer mobile phone banking to web browser banking. The only thing I do with the web browser and online banking is to download statements. I have several international and UK accounts/credit cards, I wouldn't touch them if they didn't offer a mobile phone app. The experience was a bit buggy, HSBC in particular, with the photographing of cheques (when I used to get them) I had to stand on the living room table to get it to fit due to a bug in the app that zoomed in too far :lol: then HSBC who backed the John Lewis Partnership card created all kinds of aggro when I bought a MacBook through them, they held onto the almost £5k and then demanded another £5k as Apple had put a "hold" on the £5k and hadn't released it, Apple denied this (naturally) and eventually, the hold timed out after 60 days (just as well I only ordered one) #-o

For passwords I often use something like [[Felon],[Husk],[Hyperloop]] or [[Boris],[Loves],[Lies]] then in the clear I can write Elon Musk transport scam? or what does Boris love? Lots of variations, but I do re-use a few passwords for things that don't matter.
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

I believe the mobile app vs desktop pc web browser is down to integrity of hardware. I can run an app on my desktop that pretends to be a webcam. I can use that to play a video that's indistinguishable from a webcam. Now consider that my banking mobile app requires that I record a short video clip of me blinking my eyes using the built-in camera on my phone to verify that I agree to make a payment. I cannot interfere with the integrated phone camera, and its presence is guaranteed. In fact on iOS, I believe there's also facial biometrics available in addition to simple images to further ensure it's me in the picture. A bad actor could very easily obtain a video clip of me blinking in front of my computer and play that back to my bank, over and over, emptying my bank account.

On desktop, it's simply not a closed garden. Keyboar & screen loggers are possible, biometric logins exist but are very uncommon. Bigger screens make it more likely someone can physically spy on you. Computers are very frequently left unattended, often unlocked in your own home, whereas phones are almost always locked and on your person, and even if left unlocked on a table, they tend to time out and self lock.

One of the most common and successful scams involves remote desktop software, which very rarely works if you only use banking apps on phones.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

baz4096 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:13 am Now consider that my banking mobile app requires that I record a short video clip of me blinking my eyes using the built-in camera on my phone to verify that I agree to make a payment.
Is that a real thing? The flesh positively creeps.
paulb

Post by paulb »

BeebMaster wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:49 pm
baz4096 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:13 am Now consider that my banking mobile app requires that I record a short video clip of me blinking my eyes using the built-in camera on my phone to verify that I agree to make a payment.
Indeed. What is the justification for that innovation, I wonder?
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

And how can anyone know that whatever they have stored as being the account holder, to compare against, was done by the same person having to do the new blinking?

If they ever make me do that, I will use mode 7 blinking cursor.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

BeebMaster wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:49 pm
The same face I take out in public daily… I don’t dress it up in anything kinky. I believe it’s something to do with antiduress?
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Oh yes, I can see it now, "Sorry Your Honour, I did try to pay my mortgage these last 3 years but every time I blinked the bank said Wonga Home Loans (incorporated in Nicaragua, authorised and supervised by the Financial Conduct Authority of North Korea) were ripping me off...can I have my house back please m'lud?"

Return to “off-topic”