Level 3 Fileserver use full disk size

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
davehill

Level 3 Fileserver use full disk size

Post by davehill »

I have been trying for hours, with lots of searching stardot, using different versions of WFSINIT to try this, but every time I create a Level 3 Fileserver disk, I only get 1401KB disk size. I am running it on a Master with BeebSCSI on a Pi3, so I have four drives all 511MB. After creating the disk, when I login to the fileserver, the free space shows the full size of the disk, but wont let me use it. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to create a 500MB Fileserver drive.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am using version FS 0.92 from MDFS.net. Other than that it all works great :-D

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 8.41.39 PM.png
BBC Master, BBC Model B, Electron, A5000, A4000, RISC PC, PIBridge, Piconet, and too many Raspberry PI's and now an A4 😁
KenLowe

Re: Level 3 Fileserver use full disk size

Post by KenLowe »

Is there not a user limit thing with the L3FS?
davehill

Post by davehill »

KenLowe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:25 pm Is that not a user limit thing with the L3FS?
I logged in as SYST, but can't copy any files past that free size, so I am not sure. May just stick with my PiBridge :-D
BBC Master, BBC Model B, Electron, A5000, A4000, RISC PC, PIBridge, Piconet, and too many Raspberry PI's and now an A4 😁
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

davehill wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:31 pm
KenLowe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:25 pm Is that not a user limit thing with the L3FS?
I logged in as SYST, but can't copy any files past that free size, so I am not sure. May just stick with my PiBridge :-D
Have a look at page 16 of the L3FS Manager Guide:

https://www.beebmaster.co.uk/Downloads/ ... 0Guide.pdf

I think even SYST it limited. The manual says 4MB is the default space allocated to each user, so I'm guessing your library files are eating into that space, leaving you with just 1.4MB?

Edit: Hmmm. Looking at your earlier screen capture, it looks like you're being limted to 1.4MB and not 4MB. I do still suspect this is a default allocation issue. Perhaps L3FS v0.92 implements smaller default allocations, compared to the later v1.25 that most folks use.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I think there's a difference in play here between user free space and disc space. The original Acorn versions of WFSInit, for some reason, only allocate &40404 bytes (ie. about 250K) to users created at the time the disc is initialised, including Syst. I changed that long ago to a huge number, latest listing of my modified version of WFSInit is in this post:

https://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewt ... 97#p411297

This version will also allow a 512MB (SCSI) file server disc to be created.

Syst user can change a user's space allocation with *SETFREE <user> <space in hex>.

I can't say I've noticed RISC OS stations reporting user free and used space and disc size using the Desktop icon, although *FREE from the supervisor prompt on RISC OS shows disc free space and then user free space at the end of the listing.

I would definitely recommend using a later version of the L3 file server, no earlier than 1.24 which introduces the use of *DIR ^. I'm now using a fixed version of 1.33 (as the Acorn version would only work specifically with SCSI hard discs) as here:

https://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewt ... 45#p411945

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”