How to use/convert Atom Software Archive files so that they can be loaded via the cassette port

emulators, hardware and classic software for atom + system machines
Grumps

How to use/convert Atom Software Archive files so that they can be loaded via the cassette port

Post by Grumps »

Hi,
After over 40 years I decided it was time to get my old Atom back working again.
I bought it when they were released as a teenager, a 6k+6k+FP unit. And it has been the inspiration (together with a basic Acorn System 1) for a lifelong career in electronics.
It was unceremoniously dumped into my loft about 40 years ago, after being the platform for modification (extra piggy-back RAM, custom ROMs, custom graphics card, etc).
About 10-15 years ago I stumbled across it and plugged her in. Nothing! Played around with it for an hour or so, removing all but the necessary RAM and back into the loft she went.
Last week here we are again. Got the scope and logic analyser on it and the problem was simply that the ICs needed reseating (and all of the cut tracks needed to be repaired - my many forgotten-about modifications).
So, she's working again :)
And this is when I found these forums (and others).

So, the question. I have downloaded an archive that includes all of my favourites, and they work nicely on an emulator. But... is there a way of getting these archives downloaded to the real beast via the cassette interface? The archive is the one linked in this thread and they appear to be RAM dumps with headers.
I've played with some uef files (which I also found complementary wav) but none of the uef loaders have worked (yet). Playing the wav from PC to Atom works fine.
I don't really want to add any modern SD card based tech to my old girl, but would really just like cassette input download ability. Does anything exist or is it the start of an new project for me?
Thanks, and sorry about the rambling start.

Moderators Note: This topic split out from the Atom Software Archive topic. Mark (1024MAK)
roland

Re: Atom Software Archive

Post by roland »

Welcome to this forum. I’d really advise to get an AtoMMC and a memory expansion for your Atom. That’s the easiest and most comfortable way to use the Atom Software Archive.

Enjoy your Atom and your visits here,
Greetings from the south of the Netherlands,
Roland

PS … can one of the admins move this post to the introduce yourself topic?
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Hi Grumps, welcome to the forum.

All games in the Acorn Atom Software Archive are stored in .ATM format to be loaded with an AtoMMC board.
It is possible to convert the archived games to eg .WAV files to be loaded by a cassette player.
However, you do need to convert the .ATM files into .WAV files manually.
Charlie Robson has a tool available to do that: https://github.com/charlierobson/atom-tools/atm2wav

Like Rolans said, the AtoMMC board is a great addition for running the Acorn Atom Software Archive.
I also recomment it.

Greetings
Kees
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

welcome to this great forum... :-D

Roland & Kees gave you some useful & handy advice... 8)

Greetings, Wim... :-)
Grumps

Post by Grumps »

Thanks for the welcomes.

I don't feel happy adding an AtoMMC that has more power than the Atom itself. But who knows, maybe.

I have the project for atm2wav and have built an exe. I couldn't find a downloadable exe in the previous link: https://github.com/charlierobson/atom-tools/atm2wav

If I take an example game, an old favourite, SNAPPER (Pacman clone). I found this in the archive at \AS\GAMES09\SNAPPER
I have the original cassette, ACORNSOFT GAMES PACK 9, which I have made wav files from (just recording the cassette output direct to PC).
If I *CAT my wav file I get the following:

Code: Select all

INDEX   8000 8000 0000 FF
INDEX   8100 8000 0001 FF
SNAPPER 2900 2900 0000 FF
SNAPPER 2A00 2900 0001 FF
SNAPPER 2B00 2900 0002 FF
SNAPPER 2C00 2900 0003 FF
SNAPPER 2D00 2900 0004 FF
If I convert the archived SNAPPER and *CAT that wav file I get this:

Code: Select all

SNAPPER 2900 2900 0000 FF
        0052 0D00
SNAPPER 2A00 2900 0001 FF
        4F4E 0D00
SNAPPER 2B00 2900 0002 FF
        393B 2B34

Why is that?
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

Grumps wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:04 am Why is that?
Edit: It's because with atm2wav the length of the high tone between the block header and the block data is too long, which confuses *CAT. See this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=194323#p194323

And also this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=182483#p182483

Have you tried LOAD yet, it will probably work?

Dave
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

It looks like atm2wav has a "short" option which (amongst other things) the block header-data high tone from 1 second to 500ms. You might find that causes the file to *CAT normally.

Dave
Grumps

Post by Grumps »

Ooh! Still learning about the Atom after all of these years. Nice!

Thanks for the forum links.

I'll check out LOAD-ing and the short option in atm2wav soon. Gotta get rid of my house guests first ;)

Return to “acorn atom and acorn system series”